Time-traveling artifact

GalleySlave

Chieftain
So I've been cruising along with the Khmer, who I'm trying out for the first time (capital had 19 housing on turn 72, oh my!), and near the end of the Medieval Era I was ready to extract my first artifact. If I were being fussy I could've waited a few turns until the Renaissance, as I was already hilariously over the Golden Age threshhold, but they're so far ahead it didn't matter (King difficulty, Standard speed, Standard/Continents map).

Anyway, I dig up the artifact, and what do I get? An Industrial Era artifact! That's some pretty impressive archeologizing, to be able to unearth an artifact - from the future!

As far as bugs and glitches go it's pretty minor, although one might think it wouldn't be so hard to program the game to not create an artifact that postdates the current age. In any case, I was amused enough by the occurrence to post it here - don't think I've ever seen that before, although I usually don't dig up artifacts quite so early.

Heh heh. I have had that happen to me too. Except it was an modern era artifact that I dug up. :crazyeye:

That's pretty funny. It's pretty well known that the artifact era assignment is either glitchy or completely random, but I haven't experienced this particular bug myself. I have, however, on several occasions dug up artifacts belonging to another civilization from an era which was one or more eras after they got eliminated from the game.

That's pretty funny. It's pretty well known that the artifact era assignment is either glitchy or completely random, but I haven't experienced this particular bug myself. I have, however, on several occasions dug up artifacts belonging to another civilization from an era which was one or more eras after they got eliminated from the game.

Ditto.

Doesn't it has to do with how far you are in the tech tree/civics tree and nothing to do with the ages in the game? Since you can harvest artifacts you are probably already reached the industrial era in the civics tree.

Doesn't it has to do with how far you are in the tech tree/civics tree and nothing to do with the ages in the game?
Correct, this feature predates the era function and is based on the highest tech era.
I think it is similar to barbs, I had a nasty situation last night, having destroyed all but one civ, I beelined the tech tree up to modern and ended up facing barb motorised infantry with my muskets and cav, the other opponents had 19 techs.
So it is taking the leaders tech era.

Reactions: uhu
Top Bottom