1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Timer Vote

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by YossarianLives, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Would you like to see the turn timer reduced from the current 44-hour timer?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2013.
  1. I would not like the turn timer to be reduced

18.2%
  2. I would like the turn timer reduced to 36 hours immediately

36.4%
  3. I would like the turn timer reduced to 36 hours after the current war concludes

36.4%
  4. I would like the turn timer reduced to 24 hours immediately

9.1%
  5. I would like the turn timer reduced to 24 hours after the current war concludes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

There has been discussion to reduce the turn timer, currently set at 44 hours. There are two choices for a shortened timer, as well as the option to reduce the timer immediately, or after the WPC - German war.

Discussion has been taking place in the Timer Discussion thread.

This poll is public and will last 76 hours. Your vote is viewable by other team members. If there is no clear majority a run-off poll will be conducted.

2. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Wait and reduce it until after the war concludes. No need to punish the Germans for an issue that was unforeseen by everyone when they're having trouble completing the turns as is.

3. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I think we should do 2nd vote just choosing between two most popular options. Otherwise the results may not reflect majority views.

4. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Right, if there is no clear majority, then we'll do a run-off vote with the top two choices.

5. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

I will once again make my point about reducing the timer now vs reducing it after the war.

Right now, with the way APT mod works, he gives a whole full timer for each of the warring parties. With the current timer of 48 hours, this goes to 96 hours per single turn. If/when the war is finished we will go back to normal 1 timer turns, which will be 48 hours. If we reduce the timer after the war to 36 hours, this will mean that we go from 96 hours as of now to 36 hours turns. Isnt it a bit drastic to decrease the timer 3 times?

6. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

My view on all of this is that the Germans will be able to adjust to the shorter time clock. They usually play their turn before the 96 hour deadline, but they decline to end turn, letting the clock run out to the end. They can continue this strategy with a slightly shorter clock, with a little less inconvenience to the rest of the teams, who really might drop out from boredom if things don't improve.

7. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

I am not unsympathetic to the German's situation, its no fun playing when you are loosing a war and they may be short of turn players to begin with, but when the game moves this slow its no fun for anyone else. It was reasonable to allow extra time over the holidays but after so long a period with so little activity my interest is startying to wane. I feel we have been patient with the German team and given them time to find some solution but I want to enjoy this game too. reducing the timer immedaitly to 36 hours is a small and appropriate step.

8. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

After a good deal of thought, I would like to change my vote to an immediate reduction to 36 hours.

9. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Not at all. The end result is the same- we'll end up with 36 hours/turn regardless. The difference between 96 --> 36 (2.67 times shorter) and 72 --> 36 (2 times shorter) isn't drastic enough to support this argument.

This is a dangerous precedent. If we reduce the timer because "most teams aren't enjoying the game," then anything is fair play if only because five teams don't like the way the game is going. For example, the five teams might collectively lose a giant stack of soldiers in war and ask for a reload because they won't enjoy the game if their war drags on longer than they wanted to. They would have reason to expect this to turn in their favor because of the previous turn timer decision.

That does seem obviously wrong, but that is what I feel when I read that the timer should be reduced in the middle of a war. While we might want to discuss turn 108 and turn 109 happenings relatively quickly, the Germans are discussing how best to save a city, save their civ. If that takes an extra day, so be it.

Football has 16 regular season games, one every Sunday. It would be convenient to speed through those games one-a-day rather than over 16 weeks and get the season over with, but that would leave no time between games to plan and regroup. I watch the game on Sunday, but do other things the rest of the week.

This isn't single-player civ. We don't finish our turn and get the next one. This is multi-player, where there are faster teams and slower teams. As a strong supporter to decreasing the timer has said, "If you're bored with this game, you're not playing enough civ games!" Do something else while the this game is "not moving." This game is not meant to be sped through. Enjoy other things, civ or non-civ!

Just because the faces of the team disagree with you, don't throw in the towel!

10. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

No, I'm actually convinced.

11. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

It is not about percentages, but real time hours. One is 1 day less for a turn, which is something. I am absolutely OK with a 48 hours timer and I said that for me 36 hours are on the border of having time for the team to discuss things before we play. With 48 hours in war (and the double timer) I am also absolutely OK, only if the second team actually plays in those 48 hours. What I mean is WPC was usually playing 5-10 hours from the beginning of the 96 hours double-timer and the rest 91-85 hours are for the Germans to play. 91-85 hours is a lot for a single turn of a whole team to decide and play this early in the game. Right now they are not even under direct threat, they have already rebuffed the main WPC attack. If no team is making the initiative for peace negotiations, this war can drag on for the next year or two. 1-2 turns a week will hardly keep the interest of the majority of the players. And this game is supposed to be team game. Discussion, brainstorming, voting, learning. Camaraderie. Society. Those are the valuable things in it. If the teams are reduced to the hardcore MP players in each, this will be like normal pitboss for veterans.

All this said, I do know there is no legal way the timer to be reduced, so I look at this more like survey about the mood in our team rather than something meaningful and of real importance. Even if there is a vote amongst the teams (RegentMan points the downsides of such approach) and the admin decides to make an admin ruling and decrease the timer against the wish of the Germans, I dont think this will be something positive for the game. First it will create a precedent, then The Germans will be sad and offended. More out of a moral reasons, but this is other thing.

The most elegant way I see this resolving is RB and/or Apolyton (MZprox being one of the most active supporters of reducing the timer) dogpile on the Germans and wipe them out. This will be tragic in meta-game perspective for our team of course, because then they will continue and take the weakened WPC. Not only they will have twice our normal land, but they will have bounds being allies and fighting shoulder to shoulder in this war.

For the record, I do play in 7-8 pitbosses at the moment + online duels from time to time, so it is not like I dont get my daily dose of Civ :)

12. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I find that the current pace is to my liking. Although it is a bit slow due to the war, but when the war ends, it will seem a lot faster than it is right now and then we will have teams complaining that timer is too short. I say that we wait about four turns after the war ends and sees what happens after that.

13. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

The Poll is closed and the final results are as follows:

Don't reduce turn timer: 2
    Reduce to 36 hours immediately: 5
    Reduce to 36 hours after war: 3
    Reduce to 24 hours immediate: 1

With 11 participants, 6 votes would have been needed for a majority. As such, a run-off poll has been created here.