Timsup2shakin = 6.4 earthquake rocks SoCal

Zkribbler

Deity
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/us/southern-california-earthquake/index.html?adkey=bn

A 6.4 Earthquake centered 60 mi. NNW of Barstow shook southern California's High Desert. It was felt from L.A. to Vegas.

Timsup2nothin lives in Palmdale not to far away from the epicenter, so he probably got a pretty good ride. Maybe there was some damage to his place. Maybe he lost power. If he lost power, we won't hear from him for awhile, but he's okay. Southern California is built to withstand earthquakes.

6.4? not bad...

I'm out of town and missed it.

I think Palmdale uses SoCal Edison which doesn't show any outages in Palmdale or Lancaster on their website.

depends.
I rode out the 6.7 Northridge quake in 94. It was bad.
We just had a 6+ here. It was annoying.

Northridge is actually less than half as far from Palmdale as Ridgecrest is. I rode out the 94 quake too and it was a lot stronger here than this one was. A five right under you feels a lot worse than a six from fifty miles away does.

depends.
I rode out the 6.7 Northridge quake in 94. It was bad.
We just had a 6+ here. It was annoying.
I was thinking we could go.. a little bigger :cowboy:
But a 6.4 sounds fun. Still good.

Yes, that one was bigger. 6.9 is approx five times more powerful than 6.4 was.

Yes, I'm still fine.

Yes, my family in Ridgecrest has checked in and they are fine too.

Thanks.

I know people in Palmdale, we used to watch the shuttle land up there, stay safe Tim... You might have beach front property soon

I know people in Palmdale, we used to watch the shuttle land up there, stay safe Tim... You might have beach front property soon

My property is on the wrong side of the San Andreas. My gf might though!

http://maps.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/fam/

about 10 miles north of Ridgecrest along a crumpled zone of smaller mostly parallel north-south faults north of the Garlock fault which is a branch of the San Andreas. I was wondering how close to the Long Valley Caldera this was, but it appears 'unrelated'...which is a good thing.

My God, Palmdale is sitting damn near on top of the San Andreas.

:rotfl:

So I was just watching CNN, which is f'ing hilarious. In the "aftermath" of yesterday's quake, which turned out to be a fore-shock, they shipped their team of correspondents into scenic Ridgecrest (a scary experience in itself) where they got a first hand ride through the main shock. So now we get to see these people from some far distant place where earthquakes are NOT routine events at all as they breathlessly try to describe to their fellow back easters the horror of it all first hand...while the Ridgecresters are all just laughing at them and trying to get on TV.

I was maybe 10-15 miles from the Whittier-Narrows quake in '87, that was a 5.9. I was asleep and it literally tossed me up into a sitting position. I went outside onto the concrete and it was rolling like being on one of those wooden boards used to balance on a round peg. Very strange feeling, kinda cool.

There's FIRES!!!!

They are waiting for (the mysterious) someone to come and "assure them" that their motel is safe to enter. I texted my son to go find them and tell them it's fine.

Now they just heard from the local newsrag editor that in her office the "ceiling collapsed," which when pinned down turned into some of the acoustic ceiling tiles falling out of their frames.

Another one.
BBC said:
California earthquake: Larger 7.1 magnitude quake hits
A 7.1 magnitude earthquake has rattled parts of Southern California, the biggest tremor to strike in 20 years.

It struck at the shallow depth of 0.9km (0.6 miles) and its epicentre was near the city of Ridgecrest, about 240km north-east of Los Angeles.

A 6.4-magnitude quake hit the same area on Thursday at a depth of nearly 11km.

Seismologist Dr Lucy Jones said the quakes could continue. "This is an earthquake sequence," she said at a press conference. "It will be ongoing."

"Every earthquake makes another earthquake more likely," she added, saying there was a 10% chance of a similar or even larger quake following in the next week.

However, Dr Jones said it was not likely the quake would trigger shocks on other fault lines.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48891511

Top Bottom