Timur - 6th New Leader, Civ Based On New Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldmansHQ

Warlord
Hi!

I was listening to random Tuvan music on the YouTube, and there was this comment about Genghis Khan being summoned, I whispered it to myself and! It struck me like a lightning! Timur is coming! The limping descendant of Mongolians, leader of Turkic people.

They said that the new civilization would be based around the new resource, yes? A resource is an extremely vague description, could be population, culture or bananas (...), however apart from tourism the only new big resource is the Great Works. Tamerlane was known for enslaving artisans to create his glorious nation with striking beauty and culture. I think he was also stealing pieces of art. I know the new Great Work system allows to steal those, surely you must be able to take those once you sack a city.

To be honest I know not much about him, it is four in the morning for me, instead of researching I need to sleep, though I had to say this. The whole idea made me super excited. Since they are connected to Genghis and Mongolia I love this idea :p.

A civilization based around new luxury resource just does not work in practice. Maps are generated randomly, and such civilization could be screwed pretty badly if the resource is not there, and if it always is then the map is not randomly generated. The location bias or whatever it is called, when for example Russia is always near tundra etcetera is not the same as always giving the exactly same resource two tiles away from a settler. I think. Also, there is already the tourism civilization, Brazil.

So what do you think? Timur's ability could be something like "+X% production for every Great Work in all cities" or maybe "X additional Great Works recovered upon conquering a city"

Edit: I just remembered that there is already a thread for guessing the sixth, well there is even more than one... I was very excited and forgot about them. When Timur came to my mind, it felt a bit like winning lottery. Though I have never won any lottery in my life -_-', no comment.

No. We have already established that the civ that requires its own special resource will be Puerto Rico and the resource will be Salsa music.

We have too many cavalry-based raiding civs of Mongolic stock in the game already. Add the Goths if we really need another barbarian race, or the Moors if we're tired of European civs (which I am). Or the Khazars/Great Zimbabwe/any no. of other empires or nations if we want a trade-heavy civ (oh wait we have Portugal already).

I'd be fine with it as long as the name is Timur and not Tamerlane.

Hi!
A civilization based around new luxury resource just does not work in practice. Maps are generated randomly, and such civilization could be screwed pretty badly if the resource is not there, and if it always is then the map is not randomly generated.
Well, we have some civ's right now that are "screwed" if the right terrain doesn't appear.

But it could be a manufactured resource, like glass for Venice or....a big honkin' tower of skulls! They made Timur happy, anyway. Don't know if they're suitable for trading though...

My current bet is on a snow/tundra food resource that only the Inuit or whomever can improve.

We have too many cavalry-based raiding civs of Mongolic stock in the game already. Add the Goths if we really need another barbarian race, or the Moors if we're tired of European civs (which I am). Or the Khazars/Great Zimbabwe/any no. of other empires or nations if we want a trade-heavy civ (oh wait we have Portugal already).
What better barbarians than the descendants of Mongols? They are barbarians by definition. Just look at this this video! A true barbarian must have red like fire skin and eyes like sword marks on wood. As I said, I know not much about Timur but since he is known for enslaving artisans one would assume his Units would be more focused on plunder and siege. Or even! He wanted to build a great nation, how about barbarian civilization that gets two unique buildings that give it bonuses to military? Like the Ducal Stable for Poland? They do not have to be any more focused on horses than Russia.

No. We have already established that the civ that requires its own special resource will be Puerto Rico and the resource will be Salsa music.
Ohh really? And says it a guy with dancing dude in the signature :p? Nothing is settled until Firaxis officially reveals all the civilizations. Though, based on what they said, I really believe it is Timur. I love barbarians, there is never enough of them, as ridicules as that sounds I do mean it (in Civilization) :banana:.

Edit: The guy in the signature is performing a rain dance. Sick!

They said that the new civilization would be based around the new resource, yes? A resource is an extremely vague description, could be population, culture or bananas (...)

Actually, a more recent statement said "luxury resource."

Actually, a more recent statement said "luxury resource."
:( So this is not yet the day when I win the lottery. Still, it would be an interesting choice. And barbarians... they have awesome moustaches! I am actually growing one like that, it is going to take awhile...

Maybe the title should have [speculation] added, I got all exicted :(
Sorry :(, I also got all excited, that is why I made a separate thread, instead of posting in one of those already existing.

Personally, I would think a Timurid civ would have some combination of both military and trade/culture bonuses, similarly to how the Assyrian civ is military+science. I don't think they'd try to make yet another purely nomadic military civ. The Silk Road has largely been missing from the civ series despite its importance in history (except for a wonder in Civ2, if I remember correctly?), so I'd love to see anyone from Central Asia. Regardless, I doubt they'd be the civ with a unique resource - there isn't anything really that screams Silk Road except for, well, Silk, except that mostly came from China and is already in the game.

Also yes the thread title should be changed, I thought for a moment this was official confirmation of a Timurid civ but then I realized there was no way they'd confirm another civ after they just confirmed two.

This thread neewds a "speculation" tag in the subject line.

We have too many cavalry-based raiding civs of Mongolic stock in the game already.
Do we?

I mean, forty-something civ's means having an awful lot of an awful lot of stuff.

This thread neewds a "speculation" tag in the subject line.

Do we?

I mean, forty-something civ's means having an awful lot of an awful lot of stuff.
Yes, like "European powers with land units," but at least France and Germany have vastly different UAs and such. Huns and Mongols have a ranged cavalry unit, significant attack bonuses, and both have military-focused UAs. France and Germany, on the other hand, are culture-focused, vs. "convert-barbarians" focused, which is a significant difference.

More importantly, cultural representation-wise, we've pretty much exhausted folk of strong Mongolian-Turkic bloodlines. I'd rather have Indonesia, Great Zimbabwe, the Sioux or other races instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom