Tiny Civ VI update just landed

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
1.3 mb update just landed and game version is now 1.0.12.31 (859676), I'm guessing a bug fix??

@Laurana Kanan

Edit: Just realised the version history doesn't include the Chinese pack so game version likely went up with that rather than this tiny update.

1.3 mb update just landed and game version is now 1.0.12.31 (859676), I'm guessing a bug fix??

@Laurana Kanan

Edit: Just realised the version history doesn't include the Chinese pack so game version likely went up with that rather than this tiny update.
That's the version number that went live with the Chinese Pack. It appears to be some kind of hotfix for something?

Well, I know at least one change. Apparently some people in China were angry about Yongle.

It used to say "let none speak ill of you, because histories can be rewritten." (or something extremely similar).
This is in keeping with what is on Yongle's wiki page about rewriting history as emperor:

1674586859553.png

They removed that last piece. Very interesting that they hotfixed an intro quote.
1674586704044.png

They also cut off Sean Bean's version of it as well, FWIW ...

Last edited:
Well, I know at least one change. Apparently some people in China were angry about Yongle.

It used to say "let none speak ill of you, because histories can be rewritten." (or something extremely similar).
This is in keeping with what is on Yongle's wiki page about rewriting history as emperor.

They removed it that last piece. Very interesting that they hotfixed an intro quote.
View attachment 651853

I anticipate some very hot takes on r/civ over this.

This is in keeping with what is on Yongle's wiki page about rewriting history as emperor:

View attachment 651854

They removed that last piece. Very interesting that they hotfixed an intro quote.
View attachment 651853
They also cut off Sean Bean's version of it as well, FWIW ...
I am very upset that Cyrus is portrayed as a conniving, backstabbing schemer. Where's my hotfix, Firaxis? What's that? I'm not a major market known for its kneejerk censorship? Well.:coffee:

What's the reasoning for being angry about that?

China is very sensitive about how "western" media portray Chinese history.
Mostly it's movies but I suppose games fall into that category.

Even Marvel's Shang Chi was blocked in China because of the Mandrin AFAIK.
The Mandrin has been portrayed as an evil Hitler like figure that has disgruntled China.

Marvel even went so far as to change the comic book Mandrin (supposedly Shang Chi's father) to something else.

Still China blocked it.
And they have some laws to do so.

Last thing 2K+Firaxis want is to block sales of Civ VI in China...especially having released a Rulers of China pack,
giving China the most number of rulers and personas of any civ in Civ VI.

China is very sensitive about how "western" media portray Chinese history.
Mostly it's movies but I suppose games fall into that category.
I know, but I was curious which part is actually offending them.

Is it like TheGrumpyBuddha says and they just want to avoid drawing attention to the idea of a Chinese leader rewriting history? Or is the CCP involved in rewriting the history of Yongle and want to omit that aspect from the history books and any media?

I know, but I was curious which part is actually offending them.

Is it like TheGrumpyBuddha says and they just want to avoid drawing attention to the idea of a Chinese leader rewriting history? Or is the CCP involved in rewriting the history of Yongle and want to omit that aspect from the history books and any media?

I can't imagine who possibly got upset about the idea that a leader of China might try to rewrite history.

Oh, wait ...
Burning histories is also apparently an option for Chinese leaders. :mischief:

What's the reasoning for being angry about that
China has habit of rewriting history and claiming neighborhood nations history as their own (e.g Korea) they even claimed Kimchi and Hanbok ( Korean traditional clothing) as their own.

@Laurana Kanan

Great. Can I now expect Japan's AI not to forget it has a builder unit beached on a faraway land for the balance of a game?

Top Bottom