Tiny Earth Long Space Maps

raxo2222

Time Traveller
This spacemap of Gigantic map size modifier doesn't have any AIs.
Map size: 280x40 -> 11200 tiles - Practically Huge map (10240 tiles)
Earth size: 46x40 -> 1840 tiles - Slightly larger than Tiny map (1644 tiles)
It has 11 unique equally sized space zones:
Earth (with caves ) and Orbit
Cislunar space with Moon
Inner Solar System - Mercury, Venus, Mars, asteroids.
Outer Solar System - Gas giants with moons
Transneptunian Space - Kuiper belt objects
Transtellar space - Oort cloud, nearby stars with planets
Orion Arm - Star clusters, blue dwarfs / supergiants and neutron stars, few blackholes.
Milky Way - Whole galaxy with its core and supermassive blackhole at center, few more blackholes.
Local group - Smaller galaxies scattered around
Virgo Supercluster - Small and larger galaxies clustered in groups.
Observable Universe - Rest of visible cosmos along with cosmic void and quasars
Unobservable Universe - Beyond the Swor- Observable Universe :p
Hyperspace - Not present, but can be spawned by special settlers, that are unlocked in very late game.

Spoiler Guide to solar system planet/moon names :

Object name - In game terrain name
Mercury - Hot Rocky Planet

Jupiter - Gas Supergiant
Io - Volcanic Moon
Ganymede - Large Moon
Europa - Oceanic Moon
Callisto - Rock and Ice Moon

Saturn - Ringed Gas Giant
Titan - Methane Moon
Enceladus - Geyser Moon

Uranus - Ice Giant
Umbriel - Cold Moon

Neptune - Cold Ice Giant
Triton - Very Cold Moon

Spoiler Space map :

Since this is space map and it has custom climate, you may need latitude/longitude restrictions removed.
Modmod is here.

I added second map - Duel C2C_World mapscript Earth. It has one AI.
Earth has odd climate as you can travel around north to south but not west to east.

Player and AI are placed close side to Space to minimize time needed to get space units into space.
Earth is 66x40 and Space map is 300x40, as it was much easier to add column of Orbit and 5 columns of ocean than bump X coords by 15.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-01-27 10-28-40-16.jpg

Attachments

• A Space Map - Duel World.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    991.5 KB · Views: 170
  • A Space Map - ItSmallWorld.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    915.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
My small spacemap is done! Its 280x40 length map with 46x40 Earth map on it.
It has 11200 tiles - half of Gigantic map, altough I set its size to Gigantic to slow down research.
Game speed is Eternity, diffuculty is on Deity and revolutions are on - this map has no AIs. Not even barbarians.

This way you will have slow paced gradual gameplay. Resources are placed in such manner so you can get all cultures, although you need to create players with other native cultures and conquer them - wanted to save turn times on them :p.
If you want all animals to spawn you have to mass comment out coordinate requirements for animals - this works under assumption, that there are no space tiles.

Also you can get most resource buildings, that produce other resources if two different bonuses are nearby city. This map has generally very high resource density - at least 5

This map requires peppers space mod to work. Its divided into 12 zones:
Earth, Moon, Inner/Outer Solar System, Kuiper Belt, Nearby stars, Orions arm, Milky Way, Local group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable universe and Distant Cosmos.
Map file is in post above.
I'll put modified animal spawn xml file here. Its untested, so something may break.... but game loads fine with it.
In that file I commented out all entries related to spawn coordinates.
File needs to be put here: Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Units
Using SVN 9634.

Edit: played 100 turns and animals spawm on terrain, where they should be, that is tropical animals on tropical terrains, polar animals on polar terrain and so on.

Also I created nice terrain/feature/bonus reference.

Edit: after 1000 turns animals are nicely spawning on Earth tiles.
Ocean and Sea tiles aren't needed - nothing needs them except one oceanic buildings, that appears somewhere in middle of tech tree.
Removed Galaxy feature from Observable Universe part.

Last edited:
@pepper2000 what do you think about my space map layout? I made it so there are 11 space zones. Are terrains/features correctly placed in each zone?

Earth itself is more of test zone here.

Each zone has 20 tiles in width.
It goes like: Cislunar>Inner Solar System>Outer Solar System>Transneptunian>Transtellar>Orion Arm>Milky Way>Local Group>Virgo Supercluster>Observable Universe>Distant Cosmos

I feel like I should gave 30 units for first three sections and 10 units for last 3 sections of space though :p

Everything past Outer Solar System takes just one tile to represent single object.

Cislunar is Moon + space for nearby space colonies
Inner Solar System is Mercury/Venus/Mars + Sun
Outer solar system is Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune with 4/2/1/1 moon.

Last edited:
Thanks raxo. Sorry I missed this earlier. It looks very good! This will be an excellent map to explore space colonization.

A couple of notes on it.
- There should be some stars (Red Dwarf, Sun-like, and maybe a Red Giant) in Transtellar Space. Maybe about 10-15 of them, given the size. These stars are the prime colonization targets of the early Galactic Era, when there is a radius of up to about 100 light years that you can reach.
- By a similar token, since each tile in Orion Arm represents tens of light years, common stars (Red Dwarf, Sun-like) are so common that the terrains are not needed there.
- I love the small solar systems that are set up in the Orion Arm.
- I like having the Sun (using Sun-like star terrain), but that terrain is meant for other stars that are like the Sun, since the map category is wrong for the solar system. As it is now, you could build an "interstellar" colony on the Sun. I'm thinking that a separate Sun terrain might be a good idea.
- I noticed that Europa (Oceanic Moon) looks purple, which it shouldn't. That's probably my fault and I will look into it.
- Great job on the moon design, incorporating the exotic oceans.
- Why is there fallout on Venus? Venus is meant to be colonized. The earliest colonies on Venus are available at Planetary Colonization and float above the clouds. Later (Abyss Colonization) you can build cities on the surface. Eventually I want to expand the lines of Venus buildings and have multiple Venus terrains, maybe separating out clouds and surface.
- Similar question for Infection Smog on the gas giants. They are needed in the city vicinity for some buildings but you don't have to build right on them. I'm undecided as to whether the Smog on the gas giants is a good idea.
- I also notice the border is sharp between Local Group and Virgo Supercluster. That's probably my fault, probably for putting them on the same layer. I'll look into that too.

Thanks again. As far as sizing, scale, and placement of objects, I think the map is very good, with only a few minor issues noted above. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Thanks raxo. Sorry I missed this earlier. It looks very good! This will be an excellent map to explore space colonization.

A couple of notes on it.
- There should be some stars (Red Dwarf, Sun-like, and maybe a Red Giant) in Transtellar Space. Maybe about 10-15 of them, given the size. These stars are the prime colonization targets of the early Galactic Era, when there is a radius of up to about 100 light years that you can reach.
- By a similar token, since each tile in Orion Arm represents tens of light years, common stars (Red Dwarf, Sun-like) are so common that the terrains are not needed there.
- I love the small solar systems that are set up in the Orion Arm.
- I like having the Sun (using Sun-like star terrain), but that terrain is meant for other stars that are like the Sun, since the map category is wrong for the solar system. As it is now, you could build an "interstellar" colony on the Sun. I'm thinking that a separate Sun terrain might be a good idea.
- I noticed that Europa (Oceanic Moon) looks purple, which it shouldn't. That's probably my fault and I will look into it.
- Great job on the moon design, incorporating the exotic oceans.
- Why is there fallout on Venus? Venus is meant to be colonized. The earliest colonies on Venus are available at Planetary Colonization and float above the clouds. Later (Abyss Colonization) you can build cities on the surface. Eventually I want to expand the lines of Venus buildings and have multiple Venus terrains, maybe separating out clouds and surface.
- Similar question for Infection Smog on the gas giants. They are needed in the city vicinity for some buildings but you don't have to build right on them. I'm undecided as to whether the Smog on the gas giants is a good idea.
- I also notice the border is sharp between Local Group and Virgo Supercluster. That's probably my fault, probably for putting them on the same layer. I'll look into that too.

Thanks again. As far as sizing, scale, and placement of objects, I think the map is very good, with only a few minor issues noted above. I'm looking forward to playing it.
1/2. I was looking in your mod files for terrains/features.
After I finished analysis I came up with this terrain roster, that I uploaded, but I can upload Excel 2003 version (it contains more than just space related stuffs though, you can always get open office or something).
Also this map had galaxies in Observable Universe tiles before I removed them
So I guess I can move Red Dwarf/Giant and Sunlike star from Orion to Transtellar section - I can place like 8 Red Dwarfs, 5 Sunlike stars and 2 Red Giants to simulate proporions of these stars.
3. Thanks :)
4. Ah I was thinking about Sun as more about place, where you can mine materials and collect energy from very close space like 1/10th or even 1/100th of distance to Mercury.
5/6 :)
7/8 I was using fallout/smog as to simulate extreme atmospheres here, just like in Caveman2Endless map.
8. mk

Last edited:
@pepper2000
Since all terrains and features from space mod are already in base game I will fix map according to above comments.
I removed fallout simulating bad atmosphere from venus (and added some Venus terrain to it) and giant planets, moved red dwarves/giants and yellow suns from Orion Arms to Transtellar space, changed yellow star to actual Sun in inner solar system terrain and tweaked cosmic void on universe sections.
Also added sea/ocean tiles within city reach.

By the way space oceans shouldn't have fresh water bonus and space features are immediatly destroyed, if city (space colony :p) is settled on them.
Also some space terrains get +1 commerce bonus from rivers.
Couldn't upload map to forums, so I uploaded it here.

Last edited:
This looks very good. This weekend I have a couple extra days off due to Independence Day, so I am going to try a full game on it. Can't wait.

I know it's for testing but I want to give you some feedback.

First off, for testing out whats new in the later game, it is great! It has (so far) all the features it needs!

- Resources other than Titanium Ore, Bauxit, Iron Ore, He3 and CO2 Ice are not "intended" to be on the moon, meaning you can't build an improvment that connects them to your cities. Also CO2 Ice was a mistake, I thought it was there but after I looked it up again, it isn't, so there should be none infact. Ice feature should also not be on the moon.

- The Earth looks very artificial to me. I personally like my cities closer together. Your map "forces" me to spread them out in a way that each city has max possible working tiles. Some prefer that, others don't. And while I know I can place 1 city between each big cities, I thought I try the max spacing method for once. What I'm trying to say here is that I'd prefer a more natural looking earth with imperfect city placement locations, if you ever want to make this a "real" map instead of a testing one.

- On the far left you have Lead Ore under the Aurora feature. This can't be worked (I wonder why...), just to inform you.

I know it's for testing but I want to give you some feedback.

First off, for testing out whats new in the later game, it is great! It has (so far) all the features it needs!

- Resources other than Titanium Ore, Bauxit, Iron Ore, He3 and CO2 Ice are not "intended" to be on the moon, meaning you can't build an improvment that connects them to your cities. Also CO2 Ice was a mistake, I thought it was there but after I looked it up again, it isn't, so there should be none infact. Ice feature should also not be on the moon.

- The Earth looks very artificial to me. I personally like my cities closer together. Your map "forces" me to spread them out in a way that each city has max possible working tiles. Some prefer that, others don't. And while I know I can place 1 city between each big cities, I thought I try the max spacing method for once. What I'm trying to say here is that I'd prefer a more natural looking earth with imperfect city placement locations, if you ever want to make this a "real" map instead of a testing one.

- On the far left you have Lead Ore under the Aurora feature. This can't be worked (I wonder why...), just to inform you.

Okay, so now moon contains only Iron, Titanium and Bauxite. Helium3 is at poles.
Fixed aurora - it meant to be on water tile, not on lead resource.
Added one kep for tropical island.

@pepper2000
what resources are intended for moon, inner planets and outer planets?

Also I don't know how to generate 46x40 Earth, that would contain all possible resources.

Edit: this planet IS artifacial: it has one hot equator and one cold equator.

Last edited:
Oh that was quick! You could roughly base the earth part on the real world, so having 1 long continent that resembles the Americas, one big as Eurasia that is connected via a thin landbridge to Africa and then one sole that would be Australia. And then distribute the resources as they were in the real world. But that isn't as necessary, once I set up my earth, my focus is clearly on the space part. Maybe, if you want to go through this, a Scenario that starts in the Modern era, right before the first space related techs become available would be interesting; with developed cities and all that stuff.

I completly overhauled my space map.
Orbit is now 2 tiles thick for your early cislunar space colonies.
Now Moon can fit 9 cities, Mars - 6 cities, Venus - 4 cities and deep space planets/moons - 2 cities each

Moon/Mars/Venus placement points for cities are designed in such way, that they don't have space tiles around them.

There is Near Earth Object nearby cislunar zone and kuiper belt object (Pluto) on Outer Solar System/Transeptunian border.

There is giant star system somewhere in Transtellar space.

Also its nice, that Void plots are now Universal plots, and there is hyperspace too.

Spoiler map picures :

I'm using zippyshare because I can't upload attachments....
These link are direct download - you click it, and these files will start downloading instantly.
Here is map file.
And there is modified unit spawn info (SVN 9677).
Place it there: Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Units (spawn info file)
In this modified file I removed longtitude/latitude limitations for animal spawns.

Last edited:
Looks good from the screenshots. I'll download and test the map soon, but not for a few days because I am slammed at work at the moment.

I like this map, but I was wondering is it possible to set the leader to random? I love having a different leader and different culture every playthrough. Thank you very much and sorry if it is a dumb question.

I like this map, but I was wondering is it possible to set the leader to random? I love having a different leader and different culture every playthrough. Thank you very much and sorry if it is a dumb question.
Yes it doable, but then you need to turn off AIs or else map may get crowded and would break optimal city placement - all cities should be on plot with caves to utilize megacities with maximum efficiency.
Map is in this link

Last edited:
There is no AIs. I am playing by myself with revolutions.
Edit: This map is perfect for learning and perfecting new strategies, so thank you.

There is no AIs. I am playing by myself with revolutions.
Well revolutions make crime much more dangerous (cities may rebel above 500 - 800 crime) and thats all.
Otherwise revolutions has no teeth at all.

Thank you.

I've taken a look over. Looks very nice. A couple of comments.

1) Any resolution on the red planet question? For me all the planets are the proper colors.
2) I haven't figured out yet the layering issue that would make black holes visible on the map. So I guess they are there but I'm not sure where they are.
3) Regarding x-axis wrap-around, it doesn't matter too much but for aesthetic reasons it might be better to have it, since it's kinda silly to be able to see Distant Cosmos in the early game.

Thanks for all that you've done on mapmaking.

I've taken a look over. Looks very nice. A couple of comments.

1) Any resolution on the red planet question? For me all the planets are the proper colors.
2) I haven't figured out yet the layering issue that would make black holes visible on the map. So I guess they are there but I'm not sure where they are.
3) Regarding x-axis wrap-around, it doesn't matter too much but for aesthetic reasons it might be better to have it, since it's kinda silly to be able to see Distant Cosmos in the early game.

Thanks for all that you've done on mapmaking.
1. nope planets still are red.... maybe you should upload terrain related files again to SVN?
2. What if they don't have graphics at all?
3. I'll do then.

Apparently blackhole art definition is broken - there is no such file as blackhole.nif!
Spoiler :

<FeatureArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_FEATURE_SUPERMASSIVE_BLACK_HOLE</Type>
<bAnimated>1</bAnimated>
<bRiverArt>0</bRiverArt>
<TileArtType>TILE_ART_TYPE_NONE</TileArtType>
<LightType>LIGHT_TYPE_SUN</LightType>
<fScale>4.0</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/WorldBuilder/supermassive_black_hole.dds</Button>
<FeatureVariety>
<FeatureArtPieces>
<FeatureArtPiece>
<ModelFile>Art/Structures/Improvements/BlackHole/BlackHole.nif</ModelFile>
<Connections/>
</FeatureArtPiece>
</FeatureArtPieces>
<FeatureDummyNodes/>
<bGenerateRotations>0</bGenerateRotations>
<VarietyButton>Art/Interface/Buttons/WorldBuilder/supermassive_black_hole.dds</VarietyButton>
</FeatureVariety>
</FeatureArtInfo>

Last edited:
Top Bottom