Tiny Islands City Placement

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ballisto, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ballisto

Ballisto Chieftain

Real quick: what would you do in this situation? I'm basically considering two possibilities (red and blue). I'm not sure whether I should ditch the ivory or not. I'm at the happiness limit of 5 in my capital (but hereditary rule is gonna fix that soon!) My inclination is to ditch the ivory.

2. Ballisto

Ballisto Chieftain

:crazyeye:

Attached Files:

3. mike p

mike p King

I'd probably start by settling NE of the iron on the plains hill and get the iron hooked up. Then take the capital of whoever doesn't have swordsmen. Once you mine the iron and work the clams you can also build a settler for blue dot to grab the cows and ivory and sugar (and can actually hook up the sugar to Irontown).

If you have iron already hooked up elsewhere then you could make an argument for either one.

4. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Not knowing more about the map (are there other good spots around those) and the civ you're playing (are you financial), i would settle straight on the ivory tile and on the northern sugar tile.

5. Ballisto

Ballisto Chieftain

I'm playing as Roosevelt (Industrious, Organized) and that's the only source of Iron within reach. I already have clams but don't have fish yet. I don't have sugar, ivory, or cattle yet. Game difficulty is Prince, the Yellow is Hatty.

6. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Still without knowledge of what's north and south of all this on the map (for ideal city placement, this is a must), i would still place them the way i said originally, though without the financial trait, the city on the ivory will be much less efficient, not being able to do much with all the water tiles. On tiny island maps, financial civs are simply 100% better than any other civs because of the bonus to coastal tiles alone.

More knowledge of the map would help us know, for instance, whether another city based on another land mass should use the clams up north, and the fish to the west.

7. Pantastic

Pantastic King

I'd settle one on the blue dot south of the iron and one directly on the ivory (fish, 2 hills, and maybe the cow makes a nice coastal city). Which one I do first depends on my outer resources, if I don't have ivory and do have bronze I'd snag the elephants first, otherwise I might go for the iron. It's very important to remember that you need a port on the same landmass as a resource to actually collect that resource, if you settled just one island you could only get resources from that island.

8. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

For one thing, you get no fish directly on the ivory. For another, settling on the sugar gives you fish and two nice spots for cottages, while only taking away one sugar (which is inferior to a town anyway) and one plains hill (which is way inferior to a town and you don't even need the production since you have iron).

9. Pantastic

Pantastic King

Oh, never mind, for some reason I can't visualize city radiuses over water properly in screenshots, though I'm fine in-game. I was thinking I'd have fish on both with that setup, but it would actually be fish on neither.

10. Andrei_V

Andrei_V King

I'd settle on the blue spot below iron. You won't get the fish resource in the fat cross, but you'll have two good mines and enough food from sugar plantations.

Having Iron early I wouldn't worry about any other resources, on island map they are so easy to capture from the enemies. Research Construction straight away, and build a few cats in addition to the swords.

11. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

I would settle on the northern sugar, so that you have both the fish and the iron in your fat cross. You can always settle another city on the other island to the east, but this way you get a fairly good city with the iron, and fish to feed it.

12. Ballisto

Ballisto Chieftain

Update: I took two cities from Hatty with swords and razed a third, and pillaged two towns. But then she had too many longbows and I had to let up. But she's crippled and out of the running. Bismark has taken the lead... he will have to go!

13. Paeanblack

Paeanblack Prince

I'd settle on the sugar for the fish and NE of the iron for the clams. Get two workboats and a worker and start whipping out swordmen/cats as fast as you can.

At this point in the game, the nothing is better than a seafood tile.