Tips for 100k Monarch?

I've mostly been playing random civs on standard Monarch continents lately, but for whatever reason I've never tried for a cultural victory. So I'm planning for the next game to be a 100k victory and am looking for some tips. Since I'm looking for a specific victory condition, I'll forego the usual random civ and pick one that's appropriate. I'll also continue with standard continents and will not pick or reroll maps. Also, I just got Complete and this will be my first C3C game. Some particular questions...

1) Obviously, which civ? Babylon is a traditional choice, but bowmen could get me into a GA earlier than I'd like. Celts look like a good possibility with Agri/Religious. And their UU and GA come later, when I should have lots more cities established. Those seem like the two obvious choices, with maybe Persia, Sumeria, and Ottomans after that.

2) Which wonders? I usually ignore Ancient Age wonders unless I feel particularly confident in my expansion, and then I'll usually go for something cheap like the Great Lighthouse. Obviously, wonders can provide a culture boost, but maybe it won't be so necessary if I simply build enough cities? If you do go for wonders (and certainly at least a couple of later game ones are very good), do you try to keep one or two larger cities to make them?

3) How to balance culture improvements and expansion? At some point, you're going to be choosing between pumping out another settler and building a temple or library. Which way to go? I'd think expanding would be the way for quite a while, but after some point corruption in new cities is going to be ridiculous and it's going to be a long time to get even a temple built there anyway.

4) Any other tips?

Own said:
Don't start building culture until you have clear control of the game.
Could you spell out what you mean by "clear control"? Would you go so far as to start major wars with neighbors before you start building up your culture? My initial thought would be that, after making lots and lots of cities, you would need some time to get your military beefed up before starting any trouble. Or do you wait to jam in cities until after you've cleared some space with wars?

Also, how many cities do you shoot for in a 100k game?

cleverhandle said:
Could you spell out what you mean by "clear control"?
you are getting close to domination limit (preferably control atleast 40% of the map)
cleverhandle said:
Also, how many cities do you shoot for in a 100k game?
depends on map size.. but usually 300+

Wowza. I didn't realize you needed quite so many cities. I knew it was a lot, but I wasn't thinking hundreds.

But OK, sounds like fun. Thanks for the tips.

You don't need so many cities. We did it with only 8 cities in Math02

yes, extreme number of cities are only needed if you want to win really early (around 1000AD or before)

In succession game DBear01 we got lucky and had a mostly empty continent to expand, but in most games you will have to fight to get enough land to build enough
cities.

And I think Babylon is still the culture king--cheap religious AND scientific buildings--lotsa culture.

Top Bottom