Tips for my save game...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by xdeath2, Mar 16, 2006.

1. xdeath2

xdeath2 Chieftain

Hey I've been playing this game for about 3 weeks now off and on. It's a Marathon Emperor/Monarch game (I can't remember which one I picked hehe) on an archipelago/tiny islands map.

At the moment I have a technological lead over everyone except for Mansa Musa (Go figure) who has a 3 tech advantage over me. Right now my goals for this game are to finish off Japan (Toku only has Tokyo left after I took his other 3 cities) and then try to deal with Mansa. I was thinking of sending a ton of troops over there and razing as many cities as possible while getting all of my friends involved in the war. I'm friendly with Bismarck, Julius Caesar, Saladin, and Kublai Khan through sharing of religion, wars together, and good trade relations. If I can get Mansa knocked down a bit I think I can finish this game off with a Space Race victory. I don't like to go the complete war route for Domination/Conquest, I'd just rather win by a more peaceful means. Diplomatic also isn't out of the question.

I know other Civs will rush to put new cities on Mansa's razed lands but should I be worried about another Civ becoming too powerful through that? I don't want to take over his cities cause the maintenance costs could cripple me I think, I just want to pillage and raze like a maniac. I'm pretty satisfied with my lands now being #1 in land area + population.

Really I would just like some tips on how I've handled things so far. I try to micromanage as much as possible and I know my city specialization needs work so if you could give me some tips/hints. I'm also wondering where the best spot to build the Forbidden Palace would be. I'm not sure on the whole mathematical equation for that, but I popped a GE and used him to rush Versailles in Barcelona because I conquered Japanese lands very close to that city.

Well basically just let me know what you think =) Much appreciated.

2. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

You may want to re-think the razing of Mansa's civ if the terrain is already developed. The cities, if captured instead of razed, will recover quickly and begin adding to your civ instead of being a drain, especially if you can ship your Great Engineer to that island and build the Forbidden Palace there.

At least, that's my style. Your mileage may vary.