Tips for playing with single city

Nano_Magnus

Chieftain
Hi,

I usually play with a Single City, and with the latest updates it looks like it's more and more difficult to keep the pace on science developments, it was always tricky to go ahead on science with a single city, but with enough gold I was always able to compit with the AI, using reserch agreements or buying technologies from allies.

But right now with the new updates Im stuck and I already try a lot of games trying to foccus on science and Im failing big time.

If any single city players out there could give me some advice about best Civ and best politics to succed with single city games, it would help me a lot.

Science is very important in order to always had the best units for defense, beacuse with a single city my defenses relays on quality over cuantity, and every game that I get behind on technologies for too much it becomes almost imposible to deffend all the treasons on the game

Thanks

I'm going to try a new game
Civ Babylone and with the panteon to incress the Great Scientists to used them for academys
a small rush to get writing tech so I get my first GS
I wil try to Build the Great Library
Then go for an Oxford University as soon as possible
I will try to build the university of sancore

That is my initial plan, not sure about policys, but I will be forced to complete tradition and open progress for the opening bonus

Any sugestions will be greatly apreciated, even if the sugestions are for a different civ

Thanks

The same problem again, if I had a decent start the other AIs near me already declared war, mostly because Im not expanding an my milatary is too short, so Im going to defend my self for some years, but eventually they are going to overwelm my troops.

Its always the same, the only option I had left is to try on islands, because its easier to defend on sea and the diference on milatary techs on sea is not that big, I can try to get Ships of the line with england and no one could pass my defenses, and try to develop my single city on an island.

But on land sooner or later AIs around me declare war an came with more advanced troops and in coalitions, and always for the same reason, not expanding and small military, so any sugestions are welcomed for single city on land

Atached a screenshot of my city surrounded by enemys hating me because I had only 1 city an only 10 army, and they already had Knights

I remember on previus versions, the AI was not that fast with the techs, because they had more citys than me, so the techs cost more, and for a single city player the techs came faster, but right now even focusing on science, I can't get the best troops in time to defend against agressive AIs

Babylone[2812].JPG

Declare wars literally from the very beginning of the game. You need Great Generals to set up Citadels around the city and forget about wars in the future. You also need experienced units for tough survival wars when the AI starts to invade you with the whole army. New recruits will be swept away.

Additionally, Great Generals points can be obtained for clearing barbarian camps on CSs quests - two scouts will be able to quickly get to any difficult terrain, and they will also help control their forests. Or scout + dromon for clearing coastal camps.

Become an ally of military CSs - they provide science and units. Unnecessary units can be gifted to other CSs and gain some influence. But CSs don't give units if you're at your supply limit, so by convention you should have 9 units out of 10, not 10/10.

Build a Terracotta Army that increases the supply limit by +5 units. Build barracks and forges - this is also a science.

Send caravans to other empires - each caravan brings science and culture. At the same time, there is less chance that the AI will decide to declare war on you. Trade. sell and buy resources. Be a valued trading partner.

After sending caravans, you will have gold. Build roads on literally every tile of your territory. The ability to quickly maneuver is the key to victory. On these hills, forests and rivers, you yourself will not be able to do anything for defense, as units will constantly get stuck.

Why don't you have any improved tile on the screenshot? If you don't improve your environment for a one city challenge it's not surprising that you end up lagging behind, you are missing on a lot of yields that would ultimately help you get science.

@Markal The lack of improvements was beacause they where atacking me early and I already loose 2 workers, so I was trying to made a best defense line before invest on more workers.

@alchx I made a change on my initial strat, instead to rush to Great Library I go directly for Terracota and it's a a lot easier to defend against 2 AIs with 15 troops, right now both offer me peace and my defences with 2 fortres on my weak border and troops in the other was enough to secure my city, now I was not able to get the Great Library, but is totally worth it to lose some science to gain a strong defense

Another change on my initial strat for a single city was to stop building wonders and focus only on terracota so the AIs Hate stops growing

Actually after the last war, my neigbours are great allies now ;) I need to catch up on some techs, but there is a close difference and planing to increase my gold income to start buying some techs in the future

Babylone[2812].JPG

It will be difficult in the late game. Other AI borders are very close to your city. Mechanized infantry or a tank will overcome this distance in 1 turn.

If possible, capture and burn neighboring cities so that your borders extend as far as possible. AI will not be able to put the city in the same place if your territory is there.

And, obviously, in the late game, you don't want air raids from three cities at the same time. You will not be able to maintain a sufficient number of fighters and anti-aircraft guns.

I was thinking that great wall is a must for single citys, and prepare 4 generals to expand some territory on my borders, so I will need to maintain defensive wars before they get to strong, and sooner or later they could betray themselves o get wars against another civs.

Its going to ve tricky

Any sugestions about wich civ could be the strongest for single city capigns besides England on islands

Rome for Great Generals.
Venice for x2 caravans (not sure about VP, i remember it from vanilla). Gold, a lot of gold. To buy buildings and units, also buying emissaries. Plus science and culture from caravans. But in VP you can't buy a proxy war.
Perhaps Germany for caravan bonuses to city-states.

I can't imagine if it's possible to organize your religion by playing one city. Unless, CSs quests for World Wonders will drop out one after another or there will be 1-2 religious CSs nearby from which you can demand a heavy tribute plus find ruins with faith after 50 turns (after the creation of the pantheon). But being the founder of a religion is always good for the sake of getting bonuses.

You can build Stonehenge first, but the Pyramids lose significant value. By the way, in vanilla Pyramids gave 1 or 2 workers and therefore retained their value for a single city play.

But for playing with one city, several Great Engineers and manufactories also do not hurt, since it is impossible to get cargo caravans to your city, and you may not be lucky with hills or forests.

Top Bottom