tips for warfare

Libadanda

Chieftain
Hey everyone,

Im a Noble player and i was wondering if there are ways to wage war with less distraction.

What i mean is, when im busy fighting an Ai and this require all my attention after every turn there are other things to do.

Like giving my worker a new order. Or promote a newly trained unit and sent him to the front.

Is it possible to automate this. Like giving a worker more orders at once 'go to this area, build a cottage and then go to that area etc' so you dont have to worry about him for a while.
Or with new units. Give the city orders to promote a unit with a specific promotion and then a rally point to the front.

I know you can automate workers and promotion. But then they will have free will and do things you dont want.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that you can give a worker multiple tasks by holding the shift button and click some tasks.

I don't think you can automatically give a unit a specific promotion, but you can give rally points. If you select a city by clicking on the namebar (so not on the city itself which makes you go into the city screen), you can shift + rightclick on a tile to set a rally point.

To do this for all cities press CTRL + a city to select all cities and SHIFT + right click to set a rally point. If you want to set a rally point to a city I think you have to deselect that city first by SHIFT + selecting it.

I kinda suck at explaining these things, TMIT made a great article about how to speed up your game, which includes all this stuff:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301900

If you don't want to embrace the micro-management, then Civ4 isn't really the game for you. It's a turn-based game. You have all eternity to do whatever needs doing each turn. I'm sure there are more appropriate games out there if you just want to concentrate on fighting wars.

TBH, tactical warfare in Civ4 is one of the least interesting aspects of the game. You put your troops in a big stack and go crush people. What makes Civ4 an elite game is the variety of ways you can run an economy in order to support your army and their conquests; and that you don't always need to fight aggressive wars in order to win if you don't want to.

Of the things you mentioned, I think you can set rally points for your troops. I can't remember how you do it of the top of my head though, sorry. Edit: waypoints are in the TMIT article linked above. You wouldn't want to promote your troops on creation, even if that was possible.

If you want to fight wars effectively then micro-managing is the way to go. Your workers will boost hammers in your hammer cities and commerce in your commerce cities more effectively if you do it yourself so you'll end up with more units, more cash to support your armies and meet city maintenance and more research so you can build better units for your next war.

There are short-cuts though I don't use them myself, iirc TMIT is pretty good at this stuff.

If you don't want to embrace the micro-management, then Civ4 isn't really the game for you. It's a turn-based game. You have all eternity to do whatever needs doing each turn. I'm sure there are more appropriate games out there if you just want to concentrate on fighting wars.

I understand that Civ warfare is not the same as for example Command & Conquer. I played those series a lot online. And although im used to quick dynamic warfare, i was wondering if there are ways to speed it up a little bit in Civ.

Well maybe i have to get used to the slower warfare. Because the more i play Civ the more awesome it become :goodjob:

thanks for the tips. I will try out with the rally point. That sounds very handy.

It's not necessarily a good idea to promote units as soon as they are built anyway - unless you think they will be attacked on route, or they are meant as defensive units, it's often better to wait until they are about to attack so you can give them the best promotion against the defenders they are facing.

Even more importantly, save those promotions. You may not need it right away, and using it AFTER an attack will heal half of your HP. This is probably my number 1 reason for saving promos. Unless he is the first attacker or two, he probably won't need the promo to win his battle anyhow, and he'll be healed up that much quicker and ready to move on to the next battle.

Top Bottom