Tips From a Firaxian on Modding XML and Python

Jon Shafer

Civilization 5 Designer
Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a heads up on some modding stuff.

Changing the XML and Python is very powerful and can be VERY rewarding. You can do a lot with it, but you have to be very careful.

My advice, and please heed it well:

Test after every change and make many backups!

It is very easy to mess something up and spend hours trying to figure out what is wrong. If you only make SMALL changes and verify those work and keep backups you can avoid such issues from coming up.

It's easy to say to oneself "oh, it's just a few changes, it should work" - and end up trying to fix a crash for hours. It could be something as simple as a typo, but if you make a lot of changes before testing you'll never know.

Anyways, just giving a bit of advice to you guys. I'd rather you not have to learn this sort of thing the hard way like I and others have. ;)

Now go wild. :)

Yes sir, Yes sir!
*salutes*

I am glad you posted this message Trip. :goodjob:

My worst fear for Civ4 is that lots of people -even trying simple changes, screw up their game. Because they have the tools but not the knowledge or experience to do what they want.

I have been programming since the 70s. in different languages - but still make mistakes - but at least (as you mentioned) I can back track and then correct them. Of course sometimes it takes longer than others. ;)

Tis a golden rule of programming, this tip is!

Congrats on the Firaxis hiring, Trip! I had no idea until Civ4 shipped to my door that that is where you had dissappeared to.

Top Bottom