1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips how to beat deity

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Cyborg T, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Cyborg T

Cyborg T Chieftain

Hi, I started reading these forums last month and I learnt many useful tips here.
    So I deciced that it is the right time to take the final step and win some deity games.
    But man, this is so difficult!
    When I lost about my first ten deity games, I decided to play under some more friendly settings (but still deity).
    First of all, I started a game on marathon difficulty.
    Hey, this was pretty straightforward!
    The AIs were so weak in warring, I started my first war with catapults and swords and didn't stop until I conquered the whole world in 1700s.
    I didn't have a strong start and a mediocre leader (Ghengis but without access to horse) but this was pretty easy anyway, I almost felt like it was Emperor.
    But the most disturbing thing was that the game was very very long (real time) so I tried to find other tweaks in settings.
    So then I continued playing with normal speed but I disabled barbs.
    Hey, this was even easier.
    There was no need to protect my settlers, so I could settle very strong distant cities without investing into military too much.
    This brought me about four more cities in each of the games than is possible with barbs.
    I won three consecutive games (conquest with Toku in 1800s, conquest with Gilga in 1600s and domination with Saladin in 1700s).
    I was very happy with my progress and I started several more games with normal settings again (deity, normal speed, with barbs) and I lost all of them.
    Of course, defending to barbs is easy, but it slows down everytng very much.
    You end up with only 6-8 cities (instead of 10-14 without barbs) and they are not so well developed.

At this moment, I am tired of playing marathon or without barbs, this is not so challenging.
    But real deity games are too difficult for me yet.
    So I wanted to ask what other tweaks in settins could I do to increase the difficulty but still not reach the real deity difficulty.

2. ahcos

ahcos King

Well, you can play certain strong leaders for example, Inca for example makes the game a LOT easier. Or you can handpick "easier" enemy leaders aswell, for example a bunch of guys who'll hate each other's guts from the get-go.

Modifying your start is also an option, as are favourable map scripts (pangea is a lot easier from what i've found than continents or fractal). Maybe consider learning more about the game by chosing harder settings for Immortal difficulty.

After all, winning all Deity games is impossible (without reloading etc, that is). Generally, you'll lose about 20-50% of all games, depending on how good you are at the game, but there'll always be games that you can't win on the first try, because of T30 declarations or silly stuff that can happen on this difficulty and is out of your control.

3. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

If you cannot win with 6-8 cities, you have to learn, how to manage them more effectively. I already won a 14xx Domination with Kublai from only 3 cities, 1 of them securing only Horses but having no Food.

4. Pinďa

Pinďa Chieftain

You could also try to use map generator (althought it requires some time to learn how to use it). If you find a start with enough food AND two goldmines, all within the big fat cross of your capitol, then even a deity game feels like an easy immortal game.

5. Cyborg T

Cyborg T Chieftain

Thanks for the tips. I will try to handpick some leaders and maybe also use mapfinder.

Seraiel - of course, I need to learn how to manage my cities more effectively. But the question was how to learn that - I wanted to find some difficulty level somewhere between "deity without barbs" and "deity". It is not fun to loose all games due to slow expansion and quick AIs so I want to learn under some more friendly settings. But thanks for your reply anyway.

6. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

You learn how to manage your cities better by reading Deity writeups, SGOTM and by posting a 1000bc + 1ad save.

7. Cyborg T

Cyborg T Chieftain

Today, I was examining the mapfinder. It provided me with a start with two wet corns and three goldmines in the big fat cross and it was my first deity win with barbs. I was able to found seven cities peacfully which is not much (at least for me) but the supercapitol was enough to compensate that. I won by diplomacy in 1400s (but if I didn't win the vote, I would conquer the world soon anyway). The mapfinder is really overpowered :)

It looks like winning only very easy deity games is easier than winning all immortal games. I still have lots to do to beat real deity...

8. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

You can also simply set your expectations higher, if you try to achieve 10xx diplomacy, instead of 14xx, that's still extraordinarily difficult.

9. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Getting 7 cities peacefully on deity is above average if you are playing "normal" settings. It's not extremely uncommon to get boxed in with 3-4 cities on something like a med or high sea level pangaea map.