Tips Jar?

Sgtslick

Emperor
Hey I was thinking, perhaps c2c should implement a paypal tips jar. Donations are completely voluntary of course, then with this money perhaps eventually it could be used to hire a programmer to problem solve some particular problems the team might find too hard. Or use it for something else. It could even be used to pay for koshling/aiandy's time in some cases, since they are obviously busy people and could easily spend there time elsewhere. Thoughts?

Bringing money in this sees like a bad idea. .... Unless of course you plan to pay me. :p

Or use it for something else. It could even be used to pay for koshling/aiandy's time in some cases, since they are obviously busy people and could easily spend there time elsewhere.

I guess I better act more busy with non-C2C stuff so you will pay me. :deal:

I mean we could all do that. How much do you want to pay us to release v28 or even continue work on v29? [pimp]

On a side note I do not think you could even legally do that anyways. Be it in the CFC rules or the fact your modding a Civ4 game.

However Koshling's future project is another story. Especially if he builds it from the ground up.

How about this, If someone donates $40 he/she can ask the devs to add an historical leader to an existing civilization. And if the devs agrees that its historically valid then that leader will be added. And if someone donates $70 he/she can ask for a historically civilization + a leader, and they will be added if they are historically valid. And if someone donates $90 he/she can ask for its own civilization + a leader that will only be added as a downloadable modmod and not added to the real mod.

or perhaps that's to much work, I don't know.

Bringing money in this sees like a bad idea. .... Unless of course you plan to pay me. :p

I guess I better act more busy with non-C2C stuff so you will pay me. :deal:

I mean we could all do that. How much do you want to pay us to release v28 or even continue work on v29? [pimp]

On a side note I do not think you could even legally do that anyways. Be it in the CFC rules or the fact your modding a Civ4 game.

However Koshling's future project is another story. Especially if he builds it from the ground up.

Agree and agree!

I don't think it's appropriate for the purposes the OP suggested for a couple of reasons:

1) Hiring a programmer to solve difficult problem - not realistic - there is an immense body of code that takes a considerable time to get into, all of which you'd be paying for. You'd need to be well north of $10K even to get a first bug fix IMO if you're talking anything close to commercial rates

2) Paying modders is not a good use of money. We do this (when we have time and feel like it, admittedly) because it's interesting. If we were doing this for reasons that were realistically financial you couldn't afford us (see (1))

HOWEVER, where it IS potentially useful (and probably fine by CFC rules too) might be to pay for server time to run things like (if Civ had the capability, which we'd have to build or at least enhance first) a multi-player internet-hosted pitboss-style engine and game brokerage service, so that people could create and join multi-player games and have them mediated by an online server. There would be substantial. work to be done to make that work however, so I don't hold it out as a realistic short-term prospect

HOWEVER, where it IS potentially useful (and probably fine by CFC rules too) might be to pay for server time to run things like (if Civ had the capability, which we'd have to build or at least enhance first) a multi-player internet-hosted pitboss-style engine and game brokerage service, so that people could create and join multi-player games and have them mediated by an online server. There would be substantial. work to be done to make that work however, so I don't hold it out as a realistic short-term prospect

What about a better place to host the upload/download than Desura?

1) Hiring a programmer to solve difficult problem - not realistic - there is an immense body of code that takes a considerable time to get into, all of which you'd be paying for. You'd need to be well north of $10K even to get a first bug fix IMO if you're talking anything close to commercial rates
:eek: Oyvay! I really need to go to college to flesh out what I'm learning here! Apparently I've been donating more value in some weekends here than I earn throughout a quarter! As a novice, working on a project for learning, fun and fulfillment, that does make sense though.

Top Bottom