1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on keeping the other civs happy?

Discussion in 'RoM Strategy & Tips' started by draz, Jan 20, 2010.

1. draz

draz Warlord

Without giving all my tech, that is?

Either it's them demanding free technologies, or constantly dragging me to wars (from which they often drop out after a few turns, leaving me to deal with the angry civ :lol:).

In my current game I also have an "issue" with Portugal:

Despite that (it doesn't seem that bad to me) the portuguese refuse to open an embassy or even open their borders for non-combat units. Wouldn't be such a huge problem if they weren't situated right in the middle of the continent with me on the one side, and everyone else on the other.

Not sure if that's supposed to be working as intended... (RoM 2.81 with AND)

Edit: On a completely unrelated note - is there any way of moving the view of the world minimap? It's a bit inconveniently targeted now - my area is in the corner which makes moving around with it a bit cumbersome.

2. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

To make them happy with you, you can bribe them. I find 3 gold a turn for a while can make a change. One time I gave a civ a huge sum and she went from hatred and closed borders to being my friend. It opened up lots of trade and I made money from the deal (it was later in the game).

You can give them resources too, or one time gifts of money. In vanilla civ you got +1 relations for 10 gold, up to 30 gold. Not sure if that holds or not.

Look into their favorite civics and, if they are using those civics, you can change to them for a nice relations boost.

The biggest one is to share a religion with them.

3. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

Religion is a huge one. Spread your religion, then convert their state religion (plus the Open Borders helps diplomatic attitudes). The hard part of this strategy is getting some leaders to convert due to the "I don't like you enough so you cannon even make us a ridiculous offer to make a request" factor.

4. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

but they will not even grant a right of passage agreement...

gift resource 2 on separate agreements and continue until you can get embassy also there is the basic give them some money so they will do it, then when you can do the right of passage missionary spam them... then do open borders when possible

5. Supercheese

Supercheese Zeppelin Commander

I virtually never use Diplomacy to make AI leaders change their religion to mine -- I use spies, they're much more effective. :D

6. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

I have not been playing with Advanced Diplomacy for the simple reason that the new leaderheads I added were not compatible (I gave Afforess the proper files so they should be now).

7. Humakty

Humakty Happy Goblin

Sometimes, the good idea is to convert yourself to the dominant religion. You can skip religion teching altogether if you're not going to found one of the first yourself (can't remember their names), anyway, having one of the later religions won't bring in enougth benefits in regard of the numerous wars you'll get into. This usually changes a -2/3 to a+ 2/3 (from religion), and is almost mandatory if you go for a trade heavy economy.