Tips on the endgame?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ZenMonkey, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey Chieftain

I'm still a Civ 4 newbie so I'm trying to figure out how to manage the game. When I get to the end and have a lot of cities, including ones I've taken over, I find myself somewhat mindlessly building things. (For example, putting a theatre and a colosseum in every city as soon as they're available.) The last game I played I changed my objectives from cultural victory to technological victory (while warring with Persia) to finally accepting a diplomatic victory just to put an end to it.

I know the endgame changes depending on how you play, obviously, but do you have any advice for how to manage a growing empire towards the end of the game? Is it better to keep expanding or to improve every city you have? What is a reasonable objective for a new (and still very confused) player moving up in difficulty, and how does the endgame fit in?

Thanks for any ideaas.

2. JonnyB

JonnyB Workaholic

It depends on the situation and what kind of victory you're going for, but later in the game you can also build culture or wealth or research instead of buildings and units.

3. TM Moot

TM Moot King

Totally dependant upon what Victory you are going for (i.e. if in a Space race then have all cities chugging out Research until you can knock out the SS components).

4. mardy

mardy Chieftain

I find the game much more fun until the "endgame" when things become stale, you just pump things out like there's no tomorrow, and rarely any challenges or surprises. I too find myself mindlessly building things just to build them. Towards the end you pretty much know what you can/can't do. Would love for the game to be a tad more unpredictable or give you surprises like a surprising NPC reaction to trip things up. When I know the outcome ahead of time, I just restart the game kinda because the race from beginning to the middle part is just that much more fun. Much more unpredictability and unexpected results.

Just my opinion..

5. Mr. Civtastic

Mr. Civtastic Prince

Ive definately had this problem as well. One thing I do when I realize this, or when Im just sick of clicking on a new building for 3-5 cities every other turn...I either set the city to build money or culture if its on the border, or I build a constant flow of troops.

Usually though, I just do money unless its a good hammer city that can build a tank/mech inf/modern armor in 6 turns or less.

6. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I usually get very focussed on my victory condition by that time and start building/specializing my cities accordingly. Also, as the cities get really large, I find I have to pay very close attention to health and happiness and choose builds that will help out there.

7. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

It's better to focus on the overall state of your civ by the end game, rather than conquering the whole thing in my opinion. Late game conquest is mainly to augment resources for bigger, more powerful cities (more health, more happiness), to deny the AI from victory, or to force a Diplomacy/Domination win.

It's better to resist building everything in every city at the end in favor of keeping cities specialized to specific ends---research, great people, etc.. Usually before the 20th C., I have a victory type in mind other than Time, with any conquests being a plan B.

Course that's just for Vanilla---the mods differ.

8. FoxTrot12

FoxTrot12 Chieftain

That is true, the ancient and middle ages are much more fun than modern. Being a warmonger, the only thing I can do in the late game is pump out military to kill my oponents; not as fun as the strategic moves on the field with with knights and such.