Tips, tricks and Civ!

My tip is to look at your current situation don't think too far ahead, like thinking about modern era when you are still in classic.

Examples:
- cover and shock promotion, they might be useless when gunpower comes, but darn useful before that, not really a waste of a promotion.
- watermills, better wait until you are close to SP to build/convert to them
- don't fret over city placement 1 off river, levee comes pretty late.

People need to be careful with penisula's. I was playing Warlord level and expansion game with Genghis Khan. I needed horses, but i was unable to get them in my land. Thus i sent a scout towards by closest neighbor, Freidrich of Germany. I notice that two of his three cities were on a small one square wide and 6 long penisula. I declared war on him. It took me about five swordsman to crush his city on the normal part of the the continent. It took me about two swordsman each to crush his other two cites, i honestly just marched down and took them.

So a lesson learned is, being on a penisula, at least a small one, can be an extremely bad situation tactically for anyone. don't get caught on one, but feel free to exploit it if the AI is stuck on one. =D.

I apologize for any potential misspellings, i typed this quickly.

Well, i've ceartinally learn't a few thing ^.^

- learn to exploit your traits. Playing a peacefull game as Bodicia (who is Aggresive and charismatic, debatabley a top warmonger) is wasting the Aggresive trait.

- When trading a 'technology chip' (a technology that no other civ has researched and/or you are willing to trade) trade it to all of the civs. This gives you a few things;
1) Something in return, e.g boosted relations or a large pile of money.
2) This negated the AI's abbility to trade the technology you have traded. In other words you get the most band for your buck!

Well, i've ceartinally learn't a few thing ^.^

- learn to exploit your traits. Playing a peacefull game as Bodicia (who is Aggresive and charismatic, debatabley a top warmonger) is wasting the Aggresive trait.

- When trading a 'technology chip' (a technology that no other civ has researched and/or you are willing to trade) trade it to all of the civs. This gives you a few things;
1) Something in return, e.g boosted relations or a large pile of money.
2) This negated the AI's abbility to trade the technology you have traded. In other words you get the most band for your buck!

So truuuue about her! She is so strong for war. Speaking of her, one of my last game, I could crush 5 rivals during BC's. Imagine the free lands I prepared just for future REX. Since I am a warmonger, she's the most fit for me along with Monty, Shaka and Tokugawa. Unfortunately, this game goes wrong because the remnant were Ragnar, Toku and Isabella with a different religion. So no one with whom to exchange techs.

Here's my fouth tip:

14) This tip is useful for early rushes: When settling your capital site and you got a warmonger civ, you likely wanna crush your neighbours, the earlier the better. Axemen rush is often the best since it is more accessible than chariot, without mentioning it is more effective. You only need three techs (Mining, BW and Wheel) and BW allows you to chop-rush your army. A good early rush is when copper (if possible horses for chariots) is within capital BFC. Unfortunaly, you don't have a slight idea if there is one effectively...wrong idea. In some occasions, you can guess the hidden strategic ressources. So here's my tip now:

Condition: It works better on BTS. Lots of forests.

By experience, I notice that you possess in the BFC only 4 ressources in average. Often the exception is a mix of seafoods and other inland ressources. So the tip works better totally inland. With the help of forests (because forest can't grow on strategic ressources even hidden), you can sometimes spot strange clearings. It could means nothing especially if forest grow onto it later. You must take into consideration the terrain type. Copper tends to be place on plains (hilly or not) on temperate regions. But in proximity of jungles, it is very likely to see it directely on grass. As regards horses, it is often on flat plain tiles. But even without forest, you can guess there is something wrong: if you only got two ressources for example. According to the assertion I said about 4 ressources, then there's something hidden. Thus sharpen your sight for future glorious conquests . :D

That's no reason to use spies instead. Slower movement is offset many times over by the fact that you can actually pop the huts - since Astro is a hutpoppable tech.

I guess. But I don't know about it being offset "many times over." You'll need twice as many spies as explorers. Faster than Epic, you may end up teching astro before spies can scour foreign continents anyway, making both units a wash. Astro is a bad tech to delay just on account of the fairly small possibility of popping an astro hut.

lol I rearly rush as i don't have copper/horses in the BFC. But when I usually rush when I'm lucky enough to get bronze in the BFC of the capitalor 2nd city.

A few leader tips:

Boudica -
Make a few production citys and CONSTANTLY pump out units.

Learn to love the charismatic trait. It's versatile as a warmoning trait (Less experiance for promotions) and as an economy trait! ( Raising the happy cap with monuments *makes the stonehenge very tempting :))

Victoia-
REXing power and powerful cottages right off the bat. Makes her a fast rexxer and the ability to keep the economy going!

Don't waste the redcoat. It is a very nice unit, so beeline for rifiling when possible. Trust me, you'll love it :lol:.

Catherine-
She is debatebley the best REXing. With fast settlers and fast border pops, she can grab land and keep it.

REXing does have it's consequences, as you can easily crash your economy faster than usuall. Pick out the BEST spots for citys, as you can easily get them. Grabing key locations (copper/production citys, flood plains, gold ect) can easily help your economy recover!

By experience, I notice that you possess in the BFC only 4 ressources in average. Often the exception is a mix of seafoods and other inland ressources. So the tip works better totally inland. With the help of forests (because forest can't grow on strategic ressources even hidden), you can sometimes spot strange clearings. It could means nothing especially if forest grow onto it later. You must take into consideration the terrain type. Copper tends to be place on plains (hilly or not) on temperate regions. But in proximity of jungles, it is very likely to see it directely on grass. As regards horses, it is often on flat plain tiles. But even without forest, you can guess there is something wrong: if you only got two ressources for example. According to the assertion I said about 4 ressources, then there's something hidden. Thus sharpen your sight for future glorious conquests . :D
I'm pretty sure the game is coded to always give you at least 1 source of copper, horse, and iron a certain number of tiles from your start, so you can be assured that on randomly generated maps you will always have those - although they might not be in your capital, you might have to settle a 2nd city to get them.

I'm pretty sure the game is coded to always give you at least 1 source of copper, horse, and iron a certain number of tiles from your start, so you can be assured that on randomly generated maps you will always have those - although they might not be in your capital, you might have to settle a 2nd city to get them.

Nonetheless, having a strategic ressource within the BFC is far better than outside. In that way, you won't bother yourself producing settler, which is costly without imperialistic trait. Your second city will be the capital of your victim. Furthermore, this can have a snowball effect on marathon: you continue to pump soldiers and capture more cities. BTW, the worst strategic ressource for early rush is iron.

Nonetheless, having a strategic ressource within the BFC is far better than outside. In that way, you won't bother yourself producing settler, which is costly without imperialistic trait. Your second city will be the capital of your victim.
Yes, but you can't count on it. Though you could certainly give up and restart until you get it, but that seems kind of cheesy to me.
BTW, the worst strategic ressource for early rush is iron.
Uhhh... you ever played as Rome? Praetorians = teh awesome.

Yes, but you can't count on it. Though you could certainly give up and restart until you get it, but that seems kind of cheesy to me.

Uhhh... you ever played as Rome? Praetorians = teh awesome.

Well, it turns out I explained badly my ideas. :( Of course, Preats are awesome ... and "cheesy" in the same times: they're too "herculean". My first deity win was with Rome. Initially, what I said, if one can assume the risks along with that strat. (because it is risky), is to beeline to BW if one suspect copper within BFC. This assumption if there is copper or not can be made through the assertion that there is in average 4 ressources within the BFC. If there is 1,2 or 3 ressources, you can suspect something hidden. The bad thing with beelining to BW is avoiding better worker techs like Agriculture, AH, etc. for growth. Nonetheless, nothing is stronger than capturing rival capital. I won't lie to myself that I reload quite often just for copper inside BFC. Since my first early conquest victory, ancient times warfare is like drugs. Modern warfare is boring. And I prefer another civ that will give me more challenge than Romans. Anyways, it is far from a solid strategy, it is a tip that can be used for choosing techs order. ;)

EDIT: By early axemen rush, I meant like 3000-2500 BC (on marathon, dunno the time result on normal speed). Without huts, you can't do the same with Praets. I want a rush as early as civs don't have BW yet (because AI whips archers).

Well, when I feel like having a romp, I will re-roll Roman starts until I get gold, gems, or silver in the capital's BFC to speed up the research of IW. :blush:

Have a plan - but don't be hesitant to change it.
Micromanage - but don't let it distract you from overall strategy.
Take risks - but only if you know it is worth it.
Build more workers - no but, just do it.

Top Bottom