Tithe or Property

Tamir Lenk

Chieftain
In Civ V, tithes was a no brainier. Now that Civ VI has more and smaller cities, I waffle over tithes (+1g per 4 followers) or church property (+2g per city following your religion.

Property is definitely stronger in the early game.

Thoughts?

I normally go Tithe or Papel Primacy, the latter can be really powerful in multiplayer if the other players don't realize what you're doing. That extra +2 production at 1/3/6 envoys becomes +3 production, the same goes for culture, science and religion. Gold cite-states become +6 gold at 1/3/6 envoys.

I think property is probably better than tithe since the break even point is 8 population and a lot of cities aren't that big at least early on.

From my experience, Tithe is better bcoz you cannot always rely on being the majority religion of a city (except your own), but Tithe count just the total in any cities (far easier to sneak in and get some gold).

Church Property will give you more right away, but in the long run Tithe will be better. It also applies even if you don't have the majority religion in a city sometimes

Given how much people tend to want commerce hubs early in Civ VI anyway, I rarely find gold to be an issue in the early game so I'd probably go with Tithe. Though honestly I'd say Papal Primacy is better than either of them if you work on actively spreading your religion to the city states you have envoys in. That'll give you more useful resources than gold

In Civ V, tithes was a no brainier. Now that Civ VI has more and smaller cities, I waffle over tithes (+1g per 4 followers) or church property (+2g per city following your religion.

Property is definitely stronger in the early game.

Thoughts?

In Civ V, I loved Tithe but I am finding Church Property to be better in Civ VI.

It takes a LONG time for your cities to reach Population 8.

If I found a religion early enough (such as with Stonehenge), I might only have a capital with population size 3. Not even enough for 1 gold with Tithe!

Even then, it takes a LONG time for you to build a Holy Site so you can create missionaries to spread your religion.

Due to housing issues, it takes a lot of effort to get your cities above population 10 or so.

Top Bottom