TLC Mercantile (Experimental)

In negotiations, when I try to sweeten my offer with luxuries or gpt AI's mood goes from "I don't think they will accept..." to "They will be insulted...".

That doesn't seem right.

That’s pretty strange. There’s no way to intentionally cause that behaviour and I don’t know what could cause that type confusion. I hope these quirks will disappear when the .biq gets retyped.

I’m updating the Civilopedia and fixing some of the graphics at the minute.

I’m keeping notes on these anomalies so I can find out if they reoccur after the retype. I’m going to focus on all of the human error bugs and impassable crashes for now or we’d never complete the technology tree.

I’m going to postpone retyping the .biq until we get one of those impassable crashes or a game wrecking oversight (like a 10,000 attack spearman).

OK, I'm just trying to report anything and everything that I find worth reporting. You may want to take a look at this save file. City of Carlisle sits on iron, but it has no iron in it resource box nor any other city has it.

Attachments

• Spanish War.SAV
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
Schnieder gun has bombardment 20 which is rather low number compating to other guns.

I'm just trying to report anything and everything that I find worth reporting.
I do need this information but I’m convinced that I can’t repair all of the flaws just by editing the .biq. There’s something going on behind the scenes that we have no (or little) control over. It’s quite disheartening considering the progress we’ve made.

The solution may be as drastic as doing the Firaxis compatible stuff (with their editor) then the doing all special stuff (flawlessly) in one session. Any editing after that point could cause all these things to resurface. For now, the most constrictive thing we can do is to find and fix the human errors.

Not being able to access iron at this stage of the game is a colossal problem and I don’t have anything positive to tell you.

So far, I’ve been recommending settings that the game was designed to be played on but, that’s slowing down testing and making it harder to conclusively identify the causes of these bugs. If you need to start a new game; I’m going to suggest a 150 x 150 test map with 8 players just to get through this stuff.

Your game looks interesting but hard work. I don’t know how you’re going to turn the tide against the Spanish (especially with no iron).

As usual, download the .biq from the first page if you start a new game.

Last edited:
On the subject of unusual behaviour;
Spoiler :
upload_2018-1-1_0-15-38.png

We have a crash that I can't bypass.

Attachments

• Elizabeth of the English, 478 BC.SAV
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
I’m looking into your .SAV now. It’s going to take a while; it takes 40 minutes just for the Spanish to finish their go.

If you want to speed things up, you can use Sima Qian’s multiplayer tool to look at the other players to see if you can spot what’s causing the problem. It will give you a tactical advantage for the next few turns knowing everything that’s going on.
If you cycle through all of the players and don’t get a crash, you’re controlling the problem player. If you do get a crash, the problem player is controlled by the AI. Try to reduce the number of players you control to isolate the problem player. You’ve found it when you only control one player and the game doesn’t crash.

The next step is to find out what it’s doing e.g. landing an immobile unit is the most common
cause.

On a positive note; I’ve now gotten rid of the crash caused by looking at the strategic resources. I’ve also found a way to include landmines without sacrificing any existing features. Don’t worry; I’m not adding a thing until we’re 100% bug free, we don’t need any more variables right now.

Last edited:
I still haven’t found the cause. I can’t see anything that looks unusual or known to cause problems. A large chunk of their army is nationless but, if that was a problem, it would’ve surfaced much earlier in the game. There are too many variables on this size of map to do any trial-and-error testing.

I’ve taken control of the Dutch and made peace with the Iroquoians. The fighting continues with the nationless units, as you’d expect. It should allow you to keep playing but I’ve only checked the next few turns.
Download

I’ve archived your .SAV in case we find something at later date.

The two ships you get with steel and everything after are supposed to have blitz. I’ve noticed a lot of flaws in this area of tech; I hope it won’t have too much of an impact.

Repeated crash again. Takes place at Ottomans or later.

Attachments

• Jarovid.SAV
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
25 ½ working hours total. I really hate this game at times.

The Iroquois are our culprit this time. War between the Iroquois and the Carthaginians started too recently to request peace so; the least invasive thing I could do was to give all of the Carthaginian cities to The Netherlands and retire Carthage.
I’ve only tested one turn ahead.
Download
I’ve moved the ability to trade resources back to the Harbour; I’m certain it’s responsible for most of our problems.

Last edited:
I have been considering, for a while now, that the nationless infantry units could be more pirate like. When reading this article I was reminded that I often see opportunities where a raiding party could take workers with impunity.
If I gave the nationless infantry the amphibious ability and loaded them into pirate ships, they couldn’t attack a city directly but could kidnap workers and threaten a coastline.

It doesn’t change anything really; it just gives you the opportunity to attack before workers can run.
A cheeky raid every now and then could be fun if you’re stuck playing nice with your neighbours.

What do you think?

Top Bottom