TLC Mercantile (Experimental)

I tried importing a large world map to the .biq and gave it historical starting places using the quintillus editor but it caused the AI to act strange. I didn't edit anything in the game so I was hoping it would work. Any ideas how I could do this without causing loss of game data?

Just spent far too much time reading through this entire thread, and saw that several questions weren't answered, which I might be able to help with.
In negotiations, when I try to sweeten my offer with luxuries or gpt AI's mood goes from "I don't think they will accept..." to "They will be insulted...".

That doesn't seem right.
That’s pretty strange. There’s no way to intentionally cause that behaviour and I don’t know what could cause that type confusion. I hope these quirks will disappear when the .biq gets retyped.
I'm not sure that this has anything to do with your .biq, specifically. While I don't know exactly what changes (if any) you've made to trade-routes in TCM, it simply sounds to me like Jarovid's trade-rep was busted.

In the Firaxis game, if you ever break an ongoing 20-turn agreement where you obtained upfront goods (usually a tech, but may also include peace treaties and RoPs that you're paying for) in exchange for per-turn payments, then neither the AI-Civ you 'swindled', nor any other Civ that has diplomatic relations with them, will ever accept another such deal with you for the remainder of the game — and your Foreign Advisor will tell you that they will be 'insulted' if you try to offer it anyway (the AI-Leader will respond with e.g. "No way. We know what you did to the ___").

And it doesn't matter whether the original deal was broken deliberately (e.g. by declaring war on your trade-partner), or accidentally (e.g. by having your export trade-route cut/blocked by a Barb-unit — including Galleys before you can trade over sea-tiles), your trade-rep will still be toast for evermore. This does not apply if your per-turn payment is cancelled by them declaring on you, but may also apply if you're paying them per-turn to fight someone on your behalf, and they kill off that Civ before the 20T is up.

Conversely, when your Foreign Advisor says, "They will never accept such a deal", this usually just means that they can't afford it (e.g. if you suggest they pay per-turn when they have no income).
On the subject of unusual behaviour; Spoiler :
Assuming that you have different move-costs for different terrains (as in the Firaxis game), I'm guessing here that 2 of those Workers just finished chopping a Forest, while the third was building a road. So with the Forest gone, more Worker-turns have gone into road-building than are now needed to finish it.
I tried importing a large world map to the .biq and gave it historical starting places using the quintillus editor but it caused the AI to act strange. I didn't edit anything in the game so I was hoping it would work. Any ideas how I could do this without causing loss of game data?
Sorry, I have no experience importing maps. It’s something I intended to get around to.
Rather than trying to import a World-Map into TCM, maybe try doing it the other way round?

i.e. Open up a new blank 'Untitled' .biq, import whichever World-map you want to use into the new .biq, clear all preset map-items (spawn-points, resources, etc.), and then import the TCM-rules. Finally, (re)set the spawn-points specific to the Civs in TCM, and click 'Redistribute resources' (or place them by hand, if you're a glutton for punishment), and save that new composite file as e.g. "TCM WorldMap.biq"

That way, you're superimposing the TCM-settings onto the map, rather than being blindsided by any settings which the original map came with (including, potentially, resources and Civs) that are not present in TCM.

Hi tjs282. Thanks for showing an interest in this mod. And thanks for filling in some blanks.

The trade reputation stuff is a relief to know. So, it’s mostly down to poor programming at the office.

What you said on importing rules/maps will be quite useful; especially with the campaign series I plan to do with these rules. Glutius Max will be happy to hear that there's a solution.

Can you post a save?
EDIT: The new Civilopedia shouldn’t take much longer.[/QUOTE

Strange...It crashed every time I tried upgrading them so I just ended the turn without upgrading and now it works again.

Last edited:
Rather than trying to import a World-Map into TCM, maybe try doing it the other way round?

i.e. Open up a new blank 'Untitled' .biq, import whichever World-map you want to use into the new .biq, clear all preset map-items (spawn-points, resources, etc.), and then import the TCM-rules. Finally, (re)set the spawn-points specific to the Civs in TCM, and click 'Redistribute resources' (or place them by hand, if you're a glutton for punishment), and save that new composite file as e.g. "TCM WorldMap.biq"

That way, you're superimposing the TCM-settings onto the map, rather than being blindsided by any settings which the original map came with (including, potentially, resources and Civs) that are not present in TCM.

I did clear the map before I imported it then added starting points after but I'll try it that way and see if it works better. Thanks for the suggestion.

The TLC solo game isn’t quite right so I’m going to mull over the main concept for a bit.

I’ve added a simplified version of the Export Merchandise system.
Trade in merchandise will account for a large enough portion of your GDP to make it an essential part of your economy.

The individual features of the system have been successfully tested but I haven’t played a full multiplayer game with it yet.

Playing the simplified version I ran into these errors:
(1) Could not find "art\PediaIcons.txt WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Martial_Law"
(2) After fixing that I got this error: Could not find "art\wonder splash\Martial_Law.pxc"
(3) Could not find "art\PediaIcons.txt WON_SPLASH_BLDG_IIA"
(4) After fixing that I got this error: Could not find "art\wonder splash\IIA.pxc"
(5) Gorilla unit should be Guerilla.

Some older units never become obsolete. EXAMPLE: It's strange to be researching Nuclear Fission and still able to recruit Paladin Knights and Early Galleons.
Still a fun mod to play. Thank you

Thank you for posting, I really appreciate feedback.

You must have a version of the game from some months back. You'll want to re-download the folder and .biq to get all of the latest updates.
The Martial Law building never worked properly as a wonder, it’s since been changed to an improvement.

I’ll change Gorilla to Guerrilla (UK spelling) immediately.

Some older units never become obsolete.
That sounds like a mess. I’ve not seen anything like that for a while.
The game now has some redundancies to prevent your units from regressing too much. You won’t see any more Paladins or sailing ships when you’re up to fission.

I’ve added a construction cost to the Merchandise producing Small Wonders.
I’ve changed the merchandise production frequency from 10 to 20 turns, essentially doubling the manufacturing costs.
I’ve moved the Unileaver, Dior and Wedgewood small wonders to Elitism. There aren’t any appropriate vehicles to transport the merchandise in the early ancient era.

It's been a while since I've been here. I just started a solo game with the new TLC.biq. Is there anything else different about it besides the small wonders?

I just found the first out of the ordinary occurrence. I've just researched feudalism and I can't create militia or upgrade crusaders to militia. When a crusader wins a battle it will produce a militia unit sometimes though.

Top Bottom