TNESV: The Luminous Mysteries

And here's a stab at trade (it also includes the shadings for land use among and possible colonies of the Xassalad, which are explained in my cultural compendium; I'm working out colonial dynamics with thomas at the moment):

The red arrows represent the summer monsoon, the blue the winter monsoon. As always, thoughts, comments, criticisms, etc. are all welcome. :)

The Cham are not on the map yet, but since languages are fun for me I did a bunch of work on their language. Check it out here and here!

There are going to be some interesting waves of Ekkadey and Xassal colonization and counter colonization in a lot of the central sea, especially in places like Uxun and Naia.

Yeah. Thomas and I have been talking about it a lot.

Speaking of colonies

Black are the homelands, green are the first expansion wave, something like 200-300 years into the turn, Red is the second wave of expansion (either colonization or outright conquest of extant cities into Ekkadey power structures) approximately 600-700 years into the update, while orange is the last phase, approximately 1200-1500 years into the update. Each phase is delineated by periods of imperial dissolution.

Let me add officially that if anyone wants to join as a fragment off of one of the big four cultural families for Cradle 1, (or a fusion culture derived from multiple culture families), you are totally allowed to do that with the permission of those culture owners.

Story of Yeokapae

There existed two women, Yeo and Bamsun.

Bamsun was barren and void of life. Yeo was fertile and full of life. Many creatures and many plants lived with her.

So much life lived with her that at times, she could not care for it all. When this happened, many of her children would perish. Yeo’s cousin Kengpyo would carry many of the dead to Bamsun and say, “Please bury our children. So many have perished, and we cannot hope to bury all these children on our own.”

Bamsun would reply, “I will help you bury your children. I am barren and do not have any children of my own. I will bury your children as if they are my own, and I will mourn them for you so that you may focus on your children for whom you must still care and raise.”

Yeo was grateful. She was able to care for her living children.

Yet, Yeo remained fertile and the number of her children once again grew.

Bamsun saw this and went to Yeo. She said, “I have buried your children as my own when you had so many that they perished. I mourned for them as my own children. Yet, I remain barren and cannot have children on my own.

“You, again, have more children than you can raise. Before they perish, let me take them. I will raise them as my own. They will learn to live with me, and shall grow up strong just as yours do.”

Yeo saw the wisdom in Bamsun’s words. So she had Kengpyo bring some of her children to Bamsun who raised them as her own.

Yeo was happy as her children did not die, and though they called Bamsun their mother, Yeo was happy that she could watch her children grow up strong.

Yet, Yeo was still fertile and had more children. She had so many that she could not raise them all.

Yeo went to Bamsun and said, “I have had more children that I am unable to raise. Please take them and raise them as your own.”

Bamsun replied, “I have already taken so many of your children. If I take more, I will not be able to raise them, and they will perish.”

Yeo understood, but as she turned, she discovered Pyung, who now stood before her.

“Pyung, I have had so many children that I cannot raise them all. They will surely perish. Bamsun has already taken so many of my children that if she takes more, they will still perish. Would you please take the children I cannot raise and raise them as your own?”

Pyung responded, “I do not have the means to raise your children. However, so they do not perish, I will let them live with me. However, they will have to come to you, Yeo, and to you, Bamsun for their food. In return, I will teach these children to be guardians over the spirit world. Some will watch over your children as they enter this world, and some will help you bury your dead.”

So Yeo gave her new children to Pyung to teach of the spirit world. And when those children visited Yeo or Bamsun, they would share some of their food so that those who lived with Pyung would not go hungry and perish.

Yet, Yeo was still fertile. Yeo had another child, and again, she could not care for it on her own.

Pyung saw this and gathered Bamsun and Yeo. Pyung looked at Yeo and saw that she would remain fertile.

“Yeo, you will always remain fertile, but we cannot raise all your children. It is clear that many will still perish. Bamsun and I will continue to raise your children as our own, but we cannot accept more.”

Yeo looked at the child in her arms and cried. She loved this newest of children and did not want it to perish.

“This child is special to me. I cannot let it perish. I will raise it and allow it to nourish itself off my other children. Yet, as I thought Bamsun would accept it, I had already named it Yeokapae.”

Bamsun heard this and looked at the child. She fell in love with it, too.

“Do not worry, Yeo. I will take Yeokapae and raise it as my own. Though, I too will have to allow it to nourish off of my other children.”

Pyung heard this and saw the child. He too fell in love with it.

“I, too, will allow it to nourish itself off of my children. If we three all share in this, none of us will have to completely risk the livelihood of all our children.”

So Yeo gave Yeokapae to Bamsun, and Bamsun raised Yeokapae as her own. Yet Bamsun kept Yeokapae near Yeo so that she could watch this child grow.

When Yeokapae was older, Bamsun told Yeokapae of this story. Yeokapae cried. He was upset that he was nourishing off his brothers and sisters.

“I know that I cannot survive without nourishing from my brothers and sisters, but it pains me to do so. When I pass, will you please allow me to nourish those that have given so much to me.”

Bamsun agreed.

And though Yeokapae lived a long time and had many children on his own, it came to pass that Yeokapae grew old and perished.

As requested, Bamsun divided up the parts of Yeokapae. She gave some to Yeo, some to Pyung, and kept some herself. These parts were used to renourish the children that had at one time nourished Yeokapae in life.

Bamsun then went to the children of Yeokapae and told of what she had done. She told them the stories and said to them, “I may not be able to always do as Yeokapae requested, so I ask of you, please keep Yeokapae’s wishes. For since you are the children of Yeokapae, you are Yeokapae. So following the request of your father means you must do this to yourself.

And so, when a Yeokapae passes, a spirit leader will take the body to the shore and retell the story of Yeokapae. The spirit leader will then drain the liquids of the body into Yeo, burn the remains to return some to Pyung, and spread the ashes upon the ground to return the rest to Bamsun.

Yeo = Sea
Bamsun = Land
Pyung = Sky
Kengpyo = Wave(s)
Yeokapae = People of the Coast

Hello, it's deadline day!

If you have any last minute questions, post them in the thread. Orders can either be PM'ed to me or linked in thread if you used a Google document; there's no particular need for secrecy since we aren't at the competitive phase yet.

Late orders (and order additions after the deadline) are acceptable, but will be penalized appropriately.

OOC: The lexicon looks great, but that's probably not the orders, is it?

OOC: Now I can feast on gorgeous, gorgeous, orders.

Top Bottom