To all Kerry Voters..

Elgalad

Bully!
Gelion started a thread similar to this one recently and I'd like to follow it up. This thread is mainly for Kerry voters, but anyone can comment. Please list up to five reasons why you support John Kerry for President.

If you won't be voting on November 2nd (not eligible, not interested) please mention that in your post. Also, Please try to avoid using the following words: Bush, Republican, Conservative. If you must use them, go ahead, but I'm really asking why you Support John Kerry, not why you oppose George Bush. I understand not wanting Bush to get reelected is a valid reason to support Kerry, but that one's already been discussed ad infinitum over the last few months ;) . Let's hear some of the positive this time ~ things from his plan maybe?

So.. Why Do You Support John Kerry for President of the United States?

-Elgalad

I wanted to bump this, because I too am curious. I know if we had a poll: GW Bush v Radioactive Monkey the RM would win... But I would like to know if anyone is actually voting FOR Kerry...

I don't like Kerry, so if it's not about disliking Bush even more, it's not easy for me to list five reasons to vote for him (Im not US citizen, so I cant vote anyway) But I'll give it a try:

1. He is concerned about our allies, or lack of them.
2. He seems to accept the fact that we're not doing too well in Iraq, and accepting the existance of a problem is the first stop towards solving it.
3. He is going to appear less arrogant to the world, and hopefully make it like US again.

Nah... I give up, this is not about Kerry being good, it's about Bush being worse.

Well I am currently torn between Nader and Kerry. But some of the pros of Kerry are:

1- Intellegence- Watching the debates, speeches and political manuvering by Kerry I think he shows a high intellegence. I was quite impressed by Kerry in the debates espcially. He showed a very good understanding of the issues he would face being president.

2- His Record On GLBT Issues- He has been given an A score by the ACLU on GLBT issues. Gay Rights is probably the most important issue for me. However his one con here is that he does not support marriage. Although I think that is his way of appealing to the center. I feel confident that while he won't crusade the cause of gay marriage, I feel sure he will not stand in it's way.

3- Working With Allies- John Kerry recognises the importance of working with the world not against it. I think it is extremely important for the USA to work with our allies and the UN. We cannot maintain our global power without help from our friends.

4- Health Care- John Kerry would be taking a very positive step by allowing Healthcare Insurance for people who otherwise could not be covered. Millions in this country are without healthcare (myself included). I think Kerry's plan for healthcare is a first step towards a more fair healthcare system.

5- Kerry's Emphasis on the growing gap between Rich and Poor- Our GDP is growing. our economy is growing. But wages for most Americans are not. yet prices continue to rise. Where is this economic growth going? Into the pockets of the real power in this country. Big Money.

6- Education- No Child Left Behind is a good idea. IF our education system is given the proper resources. Right now our schools are in a SAD SAD state. We have the world's best planes, tanks, bombs, yet our schools' bathrooms are dirty cause they can't pay for janitors. Where are the computers in our schools? We are the world's strongest most wealthy nation, but we leave our school system in the gutter. What is a democracy without a well educated populace?

7- Trade- We need Fair Trade not Free Trade. Trade should be on equal terms, taking into account pollution and wages.

This is a bit tough, because Kerry hasn't actually been president. I would have been equally hard pressed to give five concrete reasons not to vote for Bush before he was president. They all would have been vague, on the order of: he is not a smart man, he hasn't done anything in his life, look at Texas, etc. I could get much much more specific at this point.

Not only that but most of the best things about Kerry are best put in relation to the abysmal failure of Bush, e.g. he will not be an international embarrassment to the US, he will not lower taxes on the wealthy, he will try to lower the deficit, he will understand that just because information doesn't support your viewpoint that doesn't make it untrue, etc.

But I will give it a shot without mentioning or insinuating the failures of Bush :D

The top 10 reasons why I support John Kerry.

1. He is a strong leader, but also understands the value of consensus building.

2. He has a deep understanding of the issues that are important to the US, both domestically and internationally.

3. He has a long history in Washington, and so understands how things get done and has the necessary connections to make things happen.

4. He wants to shift the tax burden away from the middle and lower classes.

5. His fiscal policy will be based on low deficits and not on Reaganomics (note that I did not mention Bush's combination of Reaganomics with a total lack of restraint with respect to spending which is an integral part of true Reaganomics).

5. He fought for our country in Vietnam, but was strong enough to speak his mind about the way that war was run when he returned.

6. He has a spiritual side but will run the country from a secular viewpoint.

7. He will appoint Judges who also understand the necessity of making decisions from a secular viewpoint.

8. He will restore America to its rightful place among nations of the world.

9. I agree with his position on both healthcare, and funding for education.

10. drumroll please ..... He is not George W. Bush Jr.

No reason at all. The only reason I would have to vote for JFK is that he's not Bush. He isn't that much better that Bush IMHO.

andrewgprv said:
Well I am currently torn between Nader and Kerry. But some of the pros of Kerry are:

1- Intellegence- Watching the debates, speeches and political manuvering by Kerry I think he shows a high intellegence. I was quite impressed by Kerry in the debates espcially. He showed a very good understanding of the issues he would face being president.

2- His Record On GLBT Issues- He has been given an A score by the ACLU on GLBT issues. Gay Rights is probably the most important issue for me. However his one con here is that he does not support marriage. Although I think that is his way of appealing to the center. I feel confident that while he won't crusade the cause of gay marriage, I feel sure he will not stand in it's way.

3- Working With Allies- John Kerry recognises the importance of working with the world not against it. I think it is extremely important for the USA to work with our allies and the UN. We cannot maintain our global power without help from our friends.

4- Health Care- John Kerry would be taking a very positive step by allowing Healthcare Insurance for people who otherwise could not be covered. Millions in this country are without healthcare (myself included). I think Kerry's plan for healthcare is a first step towards a more fair healthcare system.

5- Kerry's Emphasis on the growing gap between Rich and Poor- Our GDP is growing. our economy is growing. But wages for most Americans are not. yet prices continue to rise. Where is this economic growth going? Into the pockets of the real power in this country. Big Money.

6- Education- No Child Left Behind is a good idea. IF our education system is given the proper resources. Right now our schools are in a SAD SAD state. We have the world's best planes, tanks, bombs, yet our schools' bathrooms are dirty cause they can't pay for janitors. Where are the computers in our schools? We are the world's strongest most wealthy nation, but we leave our school system in the gutter. What is a democracy without a well educated populace?

7- Trade- We need Fair Trade not Free Trade. Trade should be on equal terms, taking into account pollution and wages.

Hmm, after looking through this. I am going to have to switch over to Kerry on the stands of Gay Rights.

I myself am a liberal and wish to see the rights to be applied to the GLBT community.

On his stance on education. I feel that it is also important. I value education very much (Plus being a student in college ;) ).

Also, on his stance on the gap between the rich and the poor. I dont realy have a preferance on that with the exception that I want more money, though of course everyone wants money ;).

On health care, I also have no preferance on that since I am not a very ill person nor a senior citizen. But I should care since I would fit in with the population whom are students and hold/or plan to hold a part time job.

Anyway, this time. My vote is set in stone for Kerry. No more flip-flopings and John McCarryism ;).

He's not George W. Bush and is liberal (on enough issues, at least).

Paradigne said:
I wanted to bump this, because I too am curious. I know if we had a poll: GW Bush v Radioactive Monkey the RM would win... But I would like to know if anyone is actually voting FOR Kerry...
can't... too young...

1. He's not Bush ;)
2. Liberal Democrat
3. Stands where I am on the issues
5. Not Bush ;)

1. Kerry will put an end to the ridiculous tax cuts when the country is in so much debt. (That's the main one)

2. When I look at Kerry, I don't think "damn, that man gives Christians a bad name"

3. Kerry won three purple hearts. THREE

4. Aquaman isn't running. If Aquaman is running I'd vote for him. I'd be so cool to have the Justice League be our administration.

5. Kerry must have some supernatural powers. He forgot to mention Poland, and two days later Poland left the Coalition. He offended our allies in Fall 04, and somehow those words travelled back in time a year and a half to prevent Bush from building a strong Coalition. If we can use that power for good we've found something amazing.

Why to vote for Kerry, actually it is pretty easy to find five reason.

1. His Supreme Court apointees would hopefully keep the balence fairly even.
2. He is pro-choice.
3. He supports stem-cell research.
4. He would offer a more balenced foreign policy. (improving relations but I do NOt include the Kyoto treaty and ICC in this arguement as both of those are bad things)
5. He might help balence the budget, doubt it though.

h4ppy said:
4. He would offer a more balenced foreign policy. (improving relations but I do NOt include the Kyoto treaty and ICC in this arguement as both of those are bad things)

Why are these bad things? Do you not trust the justice system in Europe and don't believe that global warming exists?

Yom said:
Why are these bad things? Do you not trust the justice system in Europe and don't believe that global warming exists?
This would be better suited elsewhere but I'll just answer this. I don't think that the ICC is constitutional under US law so I am against it, I also see it as part of a disturbing trend towards a world government. As for Kyoto, I don't think it puts enough limits on developing countries, which are producing an increasing amount of pollution and often have less environmental regulations then developed countries.

I can't vote but I will when I am eighteen (granted all thier is to vote for when I am eighteen will be the mid term elections (Senator election)).

1. Economy
2. I'm Democrat (That isn't really a reason just a fact that means I am more inclinded to vote that way)
3. Jobs (which will soon apply to me)
4. The Draft (I don't want to be drafted in two years and at the rate we are going I will be)
5. Health Care (this applies to all of us and yet very few of us have any).

h4ppy said:
This would be better suited elsewhere but I'll just answer this. I don't think that the ICC is constitutional under US law so I am against it, I also see it as part of a disturbing trend towards a world government. As for Kyoto, I don't think it puts enough limits on developing countries, which are producing an increasing amount of pollution and often have less environmental regulations then developed countries.

I understand your view on the ICC, but why punish the developing countries when the U.S. is polluting the most. I do believe that China should have more restrictions, but the majority of LDCs need time to grow before they can adhere to stricter standards.

Yom said:
I understand your view on the ICC, but why punish the developing countries when the U.S. is polluting the most. I do believe that China should have more restrictions, but the majority of LDCs need time to grow before they can adhere to stricter standards.
Because the Kyoto treaty should be about helping the environment, not helping the thrid world, the treaty is currently unfair to America and I refuse to support it.

Top Bottom