1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To all our new citizens

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Gingerbread Man, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Ok, so you just signed up in the citizen registry, now what?

Well, how about a bit of an introduction. Where you live, who you live with.what level of civ3 you play. What is your favourite victory condition and play style?

How do you think you will be able to help Fanatika? Will you govern cities, organise trade, organise contact between other teams? or will you just join in discussions.

Do you know how a Democracy Game works? have you participated in any before? Do you have any stupid questions?

Do you post often in forums, or do you just like reading them, and posting the occasional comment?

People from our single player Democracy Game dont really need an introduction, but they can post here so the newbies know who you are and what offices you hold. This is really for people who just signed up in our forums and dont know where to go. If we get to know the new people better, they have a better chance of staying here the entire game.

If there are any other things you would like to know, PM me. Dont know how to PM? ask here.

2. TheDuckOfFlanders

TheDuckOfFlanders the fish collecter

DONT post strategy's in this forum ,as this is the public MSDG forum and people from team's of other site's may read this.
    There is a hidden MSDG forum ,wich is only accesable when you are registerd ,and when Thunderfall has granted you permission on it.

3. croxis

croxis Chat room op

I have registered, but no kuck for the new forums yet :-(

4. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

We have to wait for Thunderfall to update the roster. Sorry for the wait.

5. Gingerbread Man

OK, I'll cut that out.

6. MadHatter

MadHatter Chieftain

Well, how about a bit of an introduction.
    Where you live

I live in a suburb of Philadelphia

who you live with

I live with my wife, 3 kids, a dog and 2 fish

what level of civ3 you play

I usually play Regent Level

What is your favourite victory condition and play style?

I typically win by cultural means, but not for lack of trying by domination...

How do you think you will be able to help Fanatika?
    Will you govern cities, organise trade, organise contact between other teams? or will you just join in discussions.

I really have no idea, yet, I'm willing to do anything that needs to be done until I find something I like.

Do you know how a Democracy Game works? have you participated in any before?

I have no idea, but it looked like fun anyway.

Do you have any stupid questions?

How do I find out what turn the game is on?
    How do I find out what opportunities exist for contribution to "the cause"?
    I skimmed thru the Constitution and it looks like elections are held every 45 turns. Approximately how much time is the in real time?
    How will I know when I have access to the hidden forums?

Do you post often in forums, or do you just like reading them, and posting the occasional comment?

The latter, but that may change, based on how I get along here...

I gather that I have to wait until Thunderfall allows access to the hidden forums.

I was hoping to get a better idea of how the demo game works in this thread...

7. Zukatah

Zukatah Deathless One

Hi everyone, I'll answer the questions because you'll be able to know me better and it will give you an insight on what I'll do here...

I live in Montreal, Canada in a family of four since I'm too poor to afford an appartment. I usually play Regent because that's the level I get the most satisfaction at for the moment but that will change when I get better... I try not to win by Space Race and by UN because I think it kills the fun. I'm mainly a builder but I can't say I'm not blood-thirsty sometimes.

I'll probably start by joining discussions to learn more about how it all works and to learn new tactics. After a while, I'll probably get more involved which isn't good news for my grades...

I was never involved in a Democracy Game before but I've read quite a bit on that matter and I can't wait to get started. By the way, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

I read the forums all the time but I don't post because I don't fell THAT comfortable giving people advice as I don't consider myself as a Civ3 expert by no means...

8. Gingerbread Man

OK, answers to your dumb questions:

How do I find out what turn the game is on?
    Every time a turn is played, the president posts a thread about it. There it will say the turn number.

How do I find out what opportunities exist for contribution to "the cause"?
    Look around. Are there any unfilled postitions? do you have a strategy idea for an upcoming war? what about a plan to increase productivity? Do you know the chinese language? (yes, that is a useful skill)

I skimmed thru the Constitution and it looks like elections are held every 45 turns. Approximately how much time is the in real time?
    One turn, at the moment, happens every 2 days or so.

How will I know when I have access to the hidden forums?
    Our team leader updates it every so often. If you've been waiting a while, post a message in this forum nagging our team leader to add you (our team leader is Goonie)

The demogame, in short, is where we all give instructions to an elected leader on certain aspects of how we should play the game, depending on what your job is. So a governor gives instructions about a few cities, A foreign leader instructs the leader on how diplomacy will be handled, etc.

9. Gingerbread Man

zukatah - feel ree to post anything non offensive, be it bad advice. I only play on regent/monarch myself, and I am the domestic leader.

10. MadHatter

MadHatter Chieftain

GBM: Thanks for the 411

11. Zukatah

Zukatah Deathless One

Thank you for welcoming me, I think I'll enjoy my stay here. I'll do my best to be worthwhile !

12. Killer A's

Killer A's Citizen of MSDG

I live in Allentown, PA with my in-laws and wife and 2 kids.

I haven't played a demogame yet so to start I'll probably just read and post occasionally but I as I get more comfortable I'd like to get more involved.

13. Gingerbread Man

read the posts in the single player demo-game instruction threads, e.g. at:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48463

they pretty much show how a democracy game works.

Our MSDG doesn't actually have turn chats (where senior members gather and play though the turns, following the orders in the turn chat thread) but the link gives you an idea of what is done.

14. Sir John

Sir John The evil one...

where is this privat forum??

15. croxis

croxis Chat room op

youhave to sign up for the game, contact Goonie or CivGeneral some how

16. Gingerbread Man

Best bet is to PM goonie or CG (above the posts they make is a button labelled 'PM' - press it, and type your message. I'm certain you know this, but newbies dont.)

17. CenturionV

CenturionV Warrior Forever

hi just signed up i live in edmonton, alberta, canada i live with my parents, i generally play regent/monarch ptw (sometimes modded) i've joined mainly just to learn the ropes of a demo game and because its alot cooler to play vs other boards teams instead of just the dumb comps. thats about it.

18. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Welcome CenturionV.

19. Gingerbread Man

Welcome, and thanks for joining.

Just a few hints for our new members.
    1) keep posting. If you make one post a day, that is better than most.

2)dont be afraid to speak. Say anything, dumb or smart. We listen to everybody, and wont grill you if you ask dumb questions.

3) please dont discuss any sensitive information with people outside of the team. we dont want other teams knowing our plans.

Enjoy yourself.

20. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

Just want to add something here. We may not grill you, but I might.