pennjersey83

Chieftain
To all the veterans complaining about the new civ game you should

a) Go back to playing Civ 4
or
b) Try to return this game and get a refund
and
c) Realize that this game wasnt made for "only" Civ veterans

The developers understood that making Civ 5 for veterans of Civ 1-4 was going to lose them money. In todays market and economy, developers must appeal to a broader audience. The veterans who dislike this game because it was "dumbed down" need to understand that. Why do you think they even made a Civilization Revolution for consoles? They didn't make it to compete with civ 4, they made it to bring in a new market. Being a console gamer, I hadn't even heard of Civilization until Civilization Revolution came along. It brought me into the world of Civ and I love Civ 5. I read these forums and see many posts about how this game requires a lower IQ to beat. I was an Air Force jet technician and now a mechanical engineering major at a private university. I can assure you my IQ is on par with many of the contributors of this forum. Yet, being a noob, I get humiliated on deity level.

You need to understand that Civ 5 wasn't just made for the veterans, it was financially impossible to do so. It was made to appeal to a mass market. If you are truly unhappy with your game experience thus far you should go back to playing civ 4 and get a refund. I'm sorry your Civ isn't going in the direction you see fit but that's business. I'm pretty sure that most Civ players don't read these forums and enjoy the game for what it is, a fun turn-based game.

or
and
c) Realize that this game wasnt made for you

The developers understood that making Civ 5 for veterans of Civ 1-4 was going to lose them money. In todays market and economy, developers must appeal to a broader audience. The veterans who dislike this game because it was "dumbed down" need to understand that. Why do you think they even made a Civilization Revolution for consoles? They didn't make it to appease you, they made it to bring in a new market. Being a console gamer, I hadn't even heard of Civilization until Civilization Revolution came along. It brought me into the world of Civ and I love Civ 5. I read these forums and see many posts about how this game requires less IQ to beat. I was an Air Force jet technician and now a mechanical engineering major at a private university. I can assure you my IQ is on par with many of the contributors of this forum. Yet, being a noob, I get humiliated on deity level.

You need to understand that Civ 5 wasn't just made for the veterans, it was financially impossible to do so. It was made to appeal to a mass market. If you are truly unhappy with your game experience thus far you should go back to playing civ 4 and get a refund. I'm sorry your Civ isn't going in the direction you see fit but that's business. I'm pretty sure that most Civ players don't read these forums and enjoy the game for what it is, a fun turn-based game.

I guess the 5 milion copies sold of cIV wasn't good enough for them. :rolleyes:

Watering down the game in order to appeal to ADD riddled little Johnny, soccer moms and casual gamers was a bad decision brought on by a desperate 2K Games who are in financial trouble. I'd be extremely surprised if ciV sells more than 5 million copies.

I guess the 5 milion copies sold of cIV wasn't good enough for them. :rolleyes:

Watering down the game in order to appeal to ADD riddled little Johnny, soccer moms and casual gamers was a bad decision

As I stated, many intelligent people, including myself, enjoy Civ 5. Don't throw insults at people this game appeals to. You can very easily go back to playing Civ 4. Civ 5 appeals to a broader market

If it was made for a mass market, why didn't they make it so it ran on mass market computers? My laptop which runs Civ4 perfectly, full graphics, can barely run Civ5 on its lowest settings. That rules out a lot of casual gamers.

Because Civ 5 will be around for 4-5 years. In 4-5 years most computers will be able to play Civ 5 on medium-high settings. Would you rather they made a game that you can easily play right now but will look like garbage in 4 years? My one year old laptop with an i3 integrated processor with 4 gb of ram runs this game fine on low settings using directx 9. I look forward to the next couple years when my sytem will play this game easily on high settings.

Because Civ 5 will be around for 4-5 years. In 4-5 years most computers will be able to play Civ 5 on medium-high settings. Would you rather they made a game that you can easily play right now but will look like garbage in 4 years? My one year old laptop with an i3 integrated processor with 4 gb of ram runs this game fine on low settings using directx 9. I look forward to the next couple years when my sytem will play this game easily on high settings.

That just adds to the argument I'll hold off playing Civ5 for a few more years. At least then the game will be fixed.

Seriously, casual players don't have expensive systems they upgrade on a game-by-game basis. WHat do I care about the graphics? JUst want to play the damn game. Don't bring up the strategic view - it's hard to tell wtf is going on in that screen, and it crashes regularly.

It's hard to know who they really targeted with Civ5 as it is. An expansion or two down the road, we'll see.

Not really interested in playing cIV anymore.

I'll be playing FFH3 when it comes out thank you very much. There are things about ciV I do like. Hexes, 1UPT and City states being the most prominent. I also like the graphics except for the rivers which are still awful.

FFH3 won't be watered down to appeal to everyone and their dog. I'm quite looking forward to that.

I suppose if an excellent cIV mod for ciV came out that also used hexes, 1UPT and City States I'd play that too.

Right, because it's the exact same game as Civ5. :rolleyes:

I dont know what to tell you...My laptop was only 600 bucks and it runs civ 5 fine on low settings using directx9....go buy a new laptop or upgrade. This game is one of the few games my pc can play.....I cant even think about modern warfare or anything like that...Thats what I have xbox for

or
and
c) Realize that this game wasnt made for "only" Civ veterans

The developers understood that making Civ 5 for veterans of Civ 1-4 was going to lose them money. In todays market and economy, developers must appeal to a broader audience. The veterans who dislike this game because it was "dumbed down" need to understand that. Why do you think they even made a Civilization Revolution for consoles? They didn't make it to compete with civ 4, they made it to bring in a new market. Being a console gamer, I hadn't even heard of Civilization until Civilization Revolution came along. It brought me into the world of Civ and I love Civ 5. I read these forums and see many posts about how this game requires a lower IQ to beat. I was an Air Force jet technician and now a mechanical engineering major at a private university. I can assure you my IQ is on par with many of the contributors of this forum. Yet, being a noob, I get humiliated on deity level.

What's your angle? Why invest so much energy registering in September of 2010 (the same month that the game launched) just to show up and make a troll bait post against people who don't like a game that you like?

Why would anyone do something like that?

Why would they do that?

Why?

LOL. Teaching at a university. The old saying about those that can do, those that can't, teach.

(no offense)

What's your angle? Why invest so much energy registering in September of 2010 (the same month that the game launched) just to show up and make a troll bait post against people who don't like a game that you like?

Why would anyone do something like that?

Why would they do that?

Why?

I'm new at the game and I just registered with civfanatics. I like civ 5. I have a right to state my opinion, just as you have a right to disagree with it. I 'm not saying civ 5 is better than 4, I just stated that the business model of mass appeal makes more sense during a great recession

I don't teach I am a student

Then stick to learning, instead of baiting people that have played the series a whole lot longer than you. I'm just interested to know how you understand so much when you state that you have only played CiV and have not even played Civ IV? What are you basing your argument on? You didn't play anything before Revolutions, which was even more simple than CiV, so you only have limited knowledge of peoples complaints.

You rightly state that Revolutions was designed to bring in a new market of console players, which it achieved, but CiV isn't on the console and probably will never be. CiV was not designed for a console audience, it was just developed with future modding in mind, which unfortunately has alienated a large part of their audience. It was also developed with future sales in mind. They didn't leave out religion or espionage becasue they didn't like it anymore. They left it out so they could introduce it later and sell DLC.

How can you even understand most of the veterans arguments though if you can't empathise with their grievances?

I can understand people be disappointing about some aspect of Civ 5. Personally I love it and I won’t go back to Civ 4. However, for people complaining about it, just one thing. One of the great things about the Civ franchise is the capacity to change practically everything.

This day every developer thinks that buying a game means buying the DLC that go with it. In some case you even need to buy them to have the end of the story. And here we have a game where practically every aspect of the game can be change! Come on, except Mass Effect 2 that even with the DLC business model is possible to modify, there is only the Europa Universalis series that comes close to the mod ability of Civ.

And Civ 5 is even better from this point of view, especially since the SDK is out. It has never been so easy to change it to make the game correspond to the need of everyone. You don’t like the 1 Unit by Hex, want to play with Social Policy even with a big empire, not enough production, building and militaristic CS not interesting enough, don’t like the resource limitation for military unit, the IA military tactic…., just change it. It only takes 5 minutes to do so.

If ModBuddy is too complicated, just make a copy of the XML folder and change the files directly. In that case, use something like Notepad++ (open source) which made the presentation of the XML file much easier to understand. Or go the Mod section of this forum where most of the “complaints” of Civ 4 veteran have already been addressed.

So remember, what makes Civ 4 that memorable for most of us was not the vanilla version (especially just a week after the release) but the Civ 4 with all the extensions and the GREAT mod develop by the community.

You rightly state that Revolutions was designed to bring in a new market of console players, which it achieved, but CiV isn't on the console and probably will never be. CiV was not designed for a console audience,

Civ revolution was a console game and brought console gamers over to Civ 5. My post states that the develpers were right to target a mass audience with Civ 5. It brings in more money during a time of hard recession. I never stated civ 5 is better than civ 4 because I don't know if Civ 4 was any good. I'm just simply stating that if people dislike Civ 5 and find it so heavily flawed they might be happier with playing Civ 4 and let Civ 5 appeal to the mass audience it is intended for.

It's not dumb vs intelligent players. It's about what you like more. Civ veterans usually like lots of stats and numbers and info and different options, complex gameplay, minmaxing... It's not because we are more intelligent, it's that we like such games. Civilization always attracted such gamers.
You don't have to be dumb to prefer console games, more fast paced games, less compelxity like civ5, or such. It has nothing to do with IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom