1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To be a genius?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Elta, Jun 16, 2007.

?

In order to be a genius a person must be in the top what % 4 IQ of the population?

Poll closed Sep 24, 2007.
  1. 25

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. 20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 10

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. 5

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. 2.5

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. 1

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  8. 0.5

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. 0.1

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. 0.01

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. potatokiosk

potatokiosk Deity

Top .01% still leaves more than 600,000 geniuses in the world so I think that's the most reasonable option.

2. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

That would depend on which test and scale were used. I came in the top 5% and I'm a dumb-ass so I think a genius is something unfathamable. The should really be only two or three in each generation or else the 'title' depreciates :p

Computers would fail every IQ test so how can they be trusted to mark our answers? ;)

3. scy12

scy12 Deity

To be a genius? Be me . That means you have 0,00 chance of being a genius.

4. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

Being a genius, IMO, has very little to do with IQ. It's intangible.

5. QuoVadisNation

QuoVadisNation keeping your angel alive

I think to be a genius, all you need to do is fulfill one or more of these...

Main Entry: ge·nius
    Pronunciation: 'jEn-y&s, 'jE-nE-&s
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural ge·nius·es or ge·nii /-nE-"I/
    Etymology: Latin, tutelary spirit, natural inclinations, from gignere to beget

3 a : a peculiar, distinctive, or identifying character or spirit b : the associations and traditions of a place c : a personification or embodiment especially of a quality or condition
    5 plural usually geniuses a : a single strongly marked capacity or aptitude <had a genius for getting along with boys -- Mary Ross> b : extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity c : a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high IQ

6. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

I believe a genius is someone whose intelligence is more than 2 standard deviations above the mean of the population, which would be 5% of humanity.

7. Brighteye

Brighteye intuitively Bayesian

For any worthwhile definition of genius, no-one fits the description. There is no such thing as a genius; no-one has a transcendent intelligence.
    Plenty of people are stupid though.
    If you define a genius as the top proportion of the population then it loses its importance as a distinction, so there's no point to being a genius.

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

To be a genius you must do genius things. Otherwise you're just some schmo who thinks he's really smart.

9. shadow2k

shadow2k Emperor

The scores are generally weighted out depending on age and sex as well. So one person's 150 score is not necessarily equal to another person's 150, even if they took the same test.

Overall, I'd say that if you're looking for someone with a 150 IQ on the internet, this is as likely a place as any to find one. The posters in here tend to be smarter than your average bear...mostly.

10. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1574851,00.html
    What is this girl good in?

I'll say top .01&#37; just because as a kiddo I managed to score in that range by some test administered by men in suits who at least pretended to know what the hell they were doing.

11. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I almost got into a private school in Manhattan for super smart kids when I was five. Sadly I didn't qualify (my IQ was 143 I think, the minimum was 150). Who knows how my life would've been different had I gotten in. Perhaps my folks wouldn't have moved to the suburbs and I never would've gotten off track as I did. Then again, I might have not done much exploring outside of the mainstream either, nor met all the crazy characters I have.

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

IQ isn't the only qualification that makes a genius.

A person can have all the knowledge in the world but they're useless if he doesn't know how to use them.

13. Perfection

Couldn't someone be a useless genius?

Sense when was being somehow useful necessary to being a genius?

14. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Being useful is necessary to being a relevant genius. If one is a useless genius, who cares? They might better be a useful idiot.

Looking for a definition I kept thinking there should be some consideration of what a person does with their abilities that actually qualifies them for the "genius" label. I don't have a definition but I still keep thinking that.

15. Perfection

Yeah, but we're talking genius in general not a relevant person or a morally valuable person.