To buy or not to buy

Lynxx

Chieftain
I loved colonization, I loved and still love most of the civ-games, but now with hearing quite a few bad things about civ4 - colonization I have to ask myself if I should buy it or not.

So could you people that tried this game please tell me if I should buy it or not and please also state at least one positive ting and one negative thing about the game (if you state more that is fine too ;)).

It's a great game except for a couple of balance issues that will certainly be patched. I'd recommend getting it.

It's a no brainer. If you liked colonization, this one is worth having. For every item of complaint there is something else that is improved over the original.

I consider the game to be a very good sequel to the first one, it respect the game concept of the original game, I like the fact that they did not try to reinvent the game, they stick with their receipy and it is a good thing, the first colonization was awsome and did not need any major changed.
Buy it! Play it! I love it !

you will buy it sooner than later - I have bought everything containing word Civilization. So spare yourself many dilemmas and buy it now :D

If you are a patient man, just buy it, if not you will probably get a lot of frustration trying to win the game on the easiest difficulty level. This is the worst Sid' Meier's game I have played in my honest opinion. Or you may wait for the patch which may be available in a month or two.

It's from Firaxis, that was enough reason for me.

I felt it was more of a mod than anything special. I was not inspired to overcome technical issues to play the game. I think maybe I played the original to death.

If money is tight, definitely try before you buy.

I loved the original but I think there's always a tendency to look with nostalgia and a bit rose-tinted glasses at games that we formed a special bond to.
After all the original had some glaring problems in its own right. No hitpoints, messed up trade routes (stupid pathfinding etc). Absolutely no documentation about native trading and training and so forth.
Judging from the support that CIV is still getting from Firaxis and modders I'd say it's a fair bet that any major issues we have with col2 will be resolved sooner or later. Of course waiting for it can be painful.. :p

Never played original colonization, so getting into this colonization after playing civ3/4 was tough... Very steep learning curve and completely new gameplay compared to civs. But now after getting more used to the game, I'm loving it... I used to play Civ4 every day, but I haven't touched it since I got colonization.

I don't agree with people calling this a 'mod' or 'scenario'... It's a completely new game, and WAY different from civ in numerous ways. The only thing they have in common is the game engine.

-sh4dow

Tons of threads here talking about the game's problems.

But the first 6 hours of playing this game (I didn't look at any forums first) were pure joy. I can't remember the last time that I had that much fun playing games prior to that. I'm happy with the purchase price for that alone.

Unfortunately the game is not perfect in its current state, so I can see why someone would wait a while to buy and play.

I think I will buy it, so many people posted positive remarks here that I might "risk" trying it out. Money would not be the thing holding me back (barely buy any computer games anyway, except civ4 ;), so can justify it with that), but the risk of being disappointed.

Top Bottom