To Conquer or Not To Conquer

sixty4half

Prince
I'm playing Persia on Continents, Small, Normal, 6/8 with no advanced settings. I end up getting a fast Immortal from a Hut. Scout finds El Dorado quickly, it's 1 tile outside a CS borders. I wait till I have 600 gold and buy 3 Archers so I now have 4 Archers, an Immortal, and a Warrior. My scout got caught between Barbarian Warriors while running from a Barbarian Archer, it wasn't pretty but my continent is fully discovered so it matters not.

I send my small army over to said CS and take El Dorado. CS capitulates and works El Dorado for me until I finish Tradition. During this time, I also send a Settler off to that second river to the north with Wheat/Ivory/Furs available. This is when my Settler/Warrior ran into Egypts barbarian hunting war party of 4 warriors and 2 Archers. WTF, Where is Egypt? LOL, he's stuck in the Tundra (I had stopped exploring northward once I saw the tundra and figured I'd get back to it after my mini-war).

Thebes is only size 4, and his second city is only 2, both in Tundra. Thebes has access to Whales, but my planned 4th Expo will too, other than that it has Furs which I already own.

Do I conquer Egypt while I have the opportunity to steam roll him? I'll hit composite bows right about the time I would take his Expo, and my river city is half way between and just to the south. That means I can kill the 8 defense expo, and upgrade the archers on the way to his Cap. It'll be the easiest war ever.

Should I just hamstring him by razing his expo and killing any Settlers he makes for the next 50 or so turns (basically until we meet another continent)? If he Denounces me as soon as we meet the new continent, I'm not sure that would be good for me.

Should I do nothing and just let him be slightly angry about the land I'm going to eat, but leaving him happy enough to trade lux's with me? Keep him for Caravan $?

He hasn't had enough time to build any wonders and in Tundra he's stunted in production anyways. Waiting for him to build a juicy city to take will require me waiting till Crossbows which means a much more difficult war.

I really think I should just steamroll him. Send caravans to the 2 Mercantile CSs (that's all that's left on my continent) until I can meet those CSs that are just off the coast far enough I can only see their border. I can do it without any negative consequences in regards to my future diplomacy. If I wait till he has wonders we may have met another Civ by then.

Every city you own(ed) permanently increases tech cost. Even though you would have a a capital razing Egypt's second city will permanently add to your tech costs. Also Thebes sounds like it is a crappy city. Better to have a not-so friendly trading partner than none at all.

This little game proved one thing to me - Conquest with Archers/Spearmen can screw you out of a couple of free Aqueducts from Tradition. My free Aqueducts ended up in Thebes (which I didn't want to grow much) and the CS down by El Dorado. It wasn't a devastating blow, but maybe keeping Thebes around for trade would have been better.

Top Bottom