1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To discuss veiws on Creationism

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Demetrias, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

Alright this thread is for theological discussion of your veiws on creationism.

Please no creationism is stupid evolution rules. You may post an evolution without God veiw but please only one with other people just adding any of their own varaitions as addendums.

Personally my veiw would be a sort of cross between evolution and intelligent design. In this veiw Genesis is just a creation myth. God designed the universe to work by laws and uses those systems. God through planed interactions evolved animals and changed climates to come up with the world we live in and the animals in it. All of creation is purposely designed and crafted over billions of years. Humans are a specific creation not an accident.

Eran of Arcadia would you please add your veiw please?

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

There is a list of a lot of creation myths here

I, of course, refuse to admit which one I ascribe to.

3. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    As indicated, I accept that science has got it right, more or less. I do think that God is sort of a driving force behind the whole process, and if He needs something specific done He will see to it that it happens, but the results will look random to us.

4. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

Well I also kind of wanted how you came to that veiw. Like for me its a combination of Genesis, the scientific evidence for evolution, archealogical evidence that supports human civilization before 4,000 b.c. and the fact that a God that would sacrifice himself for humanity is a caring involved God. Also I am a Mullenist. Which is what my more theologically inclined friends call my version of predistination. So being a subscriber to Predistination, because it is in the Bible and I take the Bible as the word of God, I can't but think that God was specially trying to create humans. As in we didn't just happen to fit the niche of a being capable of interacting with God but were the main purpose of his creation.

5. Eran of Arcadia

Okay, bear in mind that as a Mormon I am already inclined to take a somewhat less literal and fundamentalist (I use the word to mean some who sees the Bible as the cornerstone of their faith, not necessarily as an insult) view so it is not hard to see that Genesis isn't necessarily describing something literally. Beyond that, based on everything I have read, the theory of evolution by natural and sexual selection is the best way to explain the evidence.

6. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Creation is stupid. Evolution rules.

7. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

Ha Ha. Very funny. Though I am glad the first one of those is a joke.

8. Arwon

Arwon

But but. Creationism is stupid.

9. Eran of Arcadia

10. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

What's the joke? :confused:

11. Arwon

Arwon

The idea that some magical wish-granting abstraction created the universe and therefore hates it when I masturbate.

c:)

12. Eran of Arcadia

13. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

Most fundamentalist would probably think I was as weird as you not to be insulting but to them our veiws would probably be equally weird. I don't take a literal veiw of Genesis either. Like I said in Perfections thread my veiw of Genesis is that it is a Creation Myth similar in nature to the ones the Jews would be familiar but that emphasizes the singular nature of God and his power.

Alright my main problem with the way you explained your veiw of creation was that it was undirected. It had a more Deistic sound and human seamed to be an accident and not a purpose.

Also are Mormons more for Free will or Predestination? Like my church is a Baptist church so most of the people are Free Will and Young Earth Creationist while I am a Mullenist Evolutionary Creationist and one of my friends is a Calvinist(very Predestination) Old Earth Creationist.

14. Eran of Arcadia

15. Murky

Murky Deity

Have you ever started to create work of art with a specific vision in mind only to see it turn out completely different than you expected?

16. Demetrias

Demetrias Emperor

Yes but thats because I can't paint, draw or make sculpture. But I would assume God is not lacking in creativity.

Also all the passages in Genesis where God says creation is good would mean God liked what he was doing. Also the parts in I think its Corinthians where it says we were predestined from the creation of the world would seem to mean creation is going exactly as planned.

17. Ali Zaybak

Ali Zaybak Chieftain

Here are my two agnostic cents:
    Unless we take the words of Scripture literally (and that can be the Scripture of any faith), we cannot know for certain whether or not a deity was responsible for creation.
    Epistemologically speaking, the ways in which people determine truth have changed over time. Today, many people have chosen to accept a scientific paradigm: one that is heir to Bacon's empiricism, Comte's positivism, and a number of other philosophies of knowledge. Simply put, facts must be determined by experimentation, and true knowledge can only come from the positive affirmation of theories by strictly following scientific method. People who subscribe to such a model of thought will have a harder time accepting that there was a divine creator.
    However, some people have chosen to follow a different paradigm of truth. The religious model is fantastically complex but rests on the basic assumption that truth can be established by avenues such as revelation and faith. Empiricism is unnecessary in this model.

This dichotomy is at the heart of the debate over creationism. As long as creationists insist that they are doing science, and evolutionists insist that God's intervention is impossible, the two camps will always be at a stalemate with each other, able to do little more than hurl insults across the divide.
    There are different paths to different kinds of truth. Should religious truths be taught in science class? No. Should scientific truths be taught in religious school? No. I realize this opens up a whole warehouse full of row upon row of worm-filled cans, but I'll stop here.

No apologies for the annelid explosion I've just unleashed, either. :D

18. Babbler

Babbler Deity

I am an agnostic trending atheist.

The theory of evolution is wholly naturalist, requiring no divine intervention at any point. Rather than trying to concoct ways where an intelligent/divine designer could intervene, I accept it as it with no divine presence.

19. Stewbert 08

Stewbert 08 Prince

God, outside time, space, and any as yet undiscovered dimensions, created the Universe, meaning he created every "state" of the universe however you choose to slice it (e.g. looking any given dimension of space, or separate moments in time), meaning that everything that has happened, is happening and will happen has/is/will happen/ed/ing cuz God deliberately chose that it would happen and happen just that way. From this, it's ultimately up to you to decide what kind of a dude God is, just know that you aren't actually coming to any decision by yourself, but rather that God decided that you would decide that after you read my post, which God also decided that I would post.

:crazyeye:

20. Stewbert 08

Stewbert 08 Prince

So, I guess to make my views intelligible wrt this thread, rather than being a naturalist who sees no divine intervention, rather I see that EVERYTHING is divine intervention, including the entire 15ish billion year history of the universe, the evolution of life, of man, etc.