To discuss veiws on Creationism

My first problem with creationism is that it is based on Genesis and Genesis is not a story about the universe, just our little corner. Heaven and Earth are distinct and close...

According to the gnostic gospels Jesus told his followers the creator is not to be worshiped, that the creator is an "it", not a he or she or him or them.

As for me, I have a big problem believing their isn't an "intelligence" behind the universe. Like the end of Men in Black with the alien playing marbles with galaxies ;) A prime mover setting everything in motion...

Also the parts in I think its Corinthians where it says we were predestined from the creation of the world would seem to mean creation is going exactly as planned.

God wasn't too happy about what happened in the Garden ;) But if sin was predestined and not chosen then for whose sins did Jesus die? For God's sin of allowing evil to exist? So God came down and took the form of man and suffered the worst of our fates. Or maybe not ;)

For those who think Genesis says God created the universe (and I dont want to debate this here, Perfections thread is for that) the waters preceded the appearance of both Heaven and Earth AND God in the story.

Creationism doesn't explain why the male plumbing is so stupidly designed so I avoid it.

It is so bad for the same reason that female plumbing is even less well designed: to test your faiith.

Creationism doesn't explain why the male plumbing is so stupidly designed so I avoid it.

Not to mention the appendix and junk DNA. Not a very thoughtful intelligent designer

Wouldn't a perfect design be imperfious to vastly inferiour beings? Still, one little virus and the whole thing collapses.

As a programmer I see this as being a badly designed concept. I cannot see a perfect entity creating such a flawed design. Approaching this from a creationist viewpoint, the human being is not very impressive piece of work, considering a perfect being created it.

The paradox of that just makes creationism all the more improbable to me.

Intelligent design is - as far as I know - is not really part of creationism. This is just something that modern religious people came up with as a counter to Darwin's theory of evolution.

The idea of God and creationism could just mean the physical forces of the universe that creates worlds, life and then destroys them. Not that I necessarily believe in that.

Well, like I keep saying, I view the flaws that are part of all organisms as intentional. But since no one seems to consider the possibility that said falws are the result of inherent design limitations rather than arbitrary stupidity or cruelness on the creator's part, maybe I should not bother.

As for me, I have a big problem believing their isn't an "intelligence" behind the universe. Like the end of Men in Black with the alien playing marbles with galaxies ;) A prime mover setting everything in motion...

You assume that everything requires a mover, and then come to the conclusion that there must be one mover that wasn't moved?

St.Thomas Aquinas didn't really think this through...

Well, like I keep saying, I view the flaws that are part of all organisms as intentional. But since no one seems to consider the possibility that said falws are the result of inherent design limitations rather than arbitrary stupidity or cruelness on the creator's part, maybe I should not bother.
Maybe you do, but I don't.

Because then we enter into the realm of the reasons why. Why would our creator design those limitations into us? All kinds of possible answers, but most of them I can only explain by atributing human characteristics to God. Then someone will point out to me that His ways are mysterious. Which does not satisfy me, because I have the limitation of curiousity. 'Snot my fault, he made me that way. So take your complaint to the man upstairs :p

Maybe you do, but I don't.

Because then we enter into the realm of the reasons why. Why would our creator design those limitations into us? All kinds of possible answers, but most of them I can only explain by atributing human characteristics to God. Then someone will point out to me that His ways are mysterious. Which does not satisfy me, because I have the limitation of curiousity. 'Snot my fault, he made me that way. So take your complaint to the man upstairs :p

Because he's not a magician. To design something you still have to work with small parts that fit with each other to make a whole. There will be vulnerabilities here and there and things are bound to break down.

It's not like magic where you can just create perfect beings at the tip of a wand.

I might be ticked off because I can't use the same excuse on my employers :(

I'm not sure what you mean he can't get rid of it. I was talking about the original design. But that is dependant on which flavour of creationism you use. The young earth one doesn't explain it, the old earth is more logical. I can see that God set things in motion and then let nature take it's course, litterally. In that case you can't really talk about a design. God did design the building blocks, but not the building. So, my post was mainly targeted towards young earth creationism.

Top Bottom