To hill or not to hill

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Victoria, Dec 7, 2016.

?

Your first settler stands on plains but there is a hill 1-2 tiles away. What do you do

1. Settle where I am if good enough.

40.0%
  2. If one tile away I will settle on the hill if it did not hurt my poition

32.0%
  3. I would settle on the hill if either one or 2 tiles away if it did not hurt my position

15.0%
  4. I would even settle on a hill 3 tiles away if it did not hurt my position

13.0%
  1. Customgoban

Customgoban Chieftain

If there is literally nothing but a lost turn of production at stake, the obvious choice is to move onto plains hills. I usually will only move one tile, unless their is something amazing 2 tiles away.

Usually the choice is muddied by my position on the river. If the end of the river is 3 tiles away from my settler, i would actually move off a hill into flatland, to make space for the second city.

Also, future district placement matters. If moving makes so that i cant make triangles of districts near my cap i usually wont do it.

c4c6 likes this.
  2. TomeTraveler

TomeTraveler Chieftain

I will move onto a plains hill one tile away, if everything else looks equal. My usual practice is to have a city settled by the end of turn 2, and when considering settling on a hill, that has to be adjacent to the starting position. The slightly faster start is, IMO worth enough to sacrifice one turn but I am very reluctant to wait any longer unless the starting area is a total disaster.

3. CoccoBill

CoccoBill Chieftain

So what are your opinions on the best tiles to found a city on post-patch? River-hill-woods? Luxury? Horses? Sorry about the small hijack, but I feel this is relevant to the topic.

4. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 King

Since I once (in a CiV Deity Challenge) sailed a starting Polynesian Settler a dozen or something turns away, and won - I voted for the last choice. :lol:

whyidie likes this.
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I just did a test and sat my second city on some dyes. While the resources list showed dyes the city report showed no amenity benefit despite having irrigation (I checked a few turns later too). :confused:

If you settle on a hill with woods the woods are destroyed (makes sense)
    Settling on a hill was the original question as you get an extra +1 production. Its just a question of how many turns you are willing to sacrifice for the +1 production.

6. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

In the game I started yesterday I didn't found my cap until turn 3. I didn't mind because it was a plains hills with gems so I got extra hammers and extra gold. I wouldn't want to wait past turn 3, but I'm still getting my first scout out earlier, which is my priority.

7. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

I would definitely move up to 3 tiles away to settle on a hill for the extra cog per turn, assuming all other settling spots are otherwise equally good.

8. jollywonk

jollywonk Chieftain

Good discussion that is making me rethink. I almost never move because I don't want to lose a turn and I also in my gut would prefer to work that hill later on for 5 production rather than just +1 production. But if there are enough hills around to work, I guess the math is pretty easy. You give up 1 turn of perhaps 4 production in order to get 5 production, so you break-even on turn 5 and it's +EV after that, right? So I should be doing this all the time.

You do lose more than the production on turn 1, you also lose a turn of science, culture, gold, and food growth....but production is king and it still looks good. There aren't many 5-turn break-even investments in Civ.

That said if this was an expand and there are less than ~7 good production tiles, or if moving onto the hill meant only 1-2 other hills in my immediate circle of available tiles, I would still prefer to work the hill as a mine. Other positional considerations as mentioned above would matter too.

Sun Tzu Wu and jaegybomb like this.
  9. Kelmort83

Kelmort83 Chieftain

For me, it's the other way around, I will alway move unless the starting spot is really amazing. I will look at what the random seed gave me and try keep luxury for the 3rd ring, or sometime I try to go for the coast.

10. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Not to derail this thread, but good food production is at least as important to me. I like to hit pop 3 asap.

c4c6 likes this.
  11. Forster

Forster Prince

I think that allowing it if you settle on the luxury actually makes sense. Cities tend to not like such activities within their confines.

12. Victoria

I went back today to double check.... I settled on Dyes with my second city and after irrigation my city shows no amenity benefit from it in the city report screen... even though the report screen at the top states I have dyes now.
    I may have to test on another game, maybe post a bug

Not de-railing at all... its all valid consideration for a good seating arrangement. Also that hill move may do the opposite and provide a few extra nice tiles that make the walk worth it

13. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

But what if this river plains hill also has woods? Of course, I wouldn't sacrifice it if I had few production tiles, but is it worth sacrificing it at all?

14. Victoria

... or that 2:2 jungle hill is always a nice starter tile to settle next to for a best of both worlds start.

15. jollywonk

jollywonk Chieftain

Yeah that river-woods-plain-hill is 1f3p early and 1f5p with a lumber mill...I wouldn't squander a tile like that, even if I had 10 of them (settle a 2nd city close by), which you won't. Even if you decided to chop it and make it a mine, it would be both a faster start and a better long-term play. I would do a bare plains-hill surrounded by 10 other production tiles (quarries and woods also) if it only costs me 1 turn to get onto...that's about the extent of it for me now.

I agree a 2f2p jungle hill is an awesome and fairly rare tile to work early, and then chop for food and production later in order to make it a mine.

Sun Tzu Wu likes this.
  16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

This is a bug introduced with the fall patch.

17. Sun Tzu Wu

My mind boggles with the knowledge that Civ VI knows you have access to a Luxury resource due to settling on it, yet gives no amenities for it, even after the unlocking technology is completed. How can one write such convoluted code that must be responsible for such a bug.

18. Skylark2009

Skylark2009 Chieftain

While I haven't experienced @Victoria 's issue (i.e researching required tech first, settling on luxury but then not receiving the amenity/trade), I can confirm that not researching the required tech for the luxury tile improvement before settling it will negate it as an amenity/tradeable item (as tested by @Browd and myself)

This also affects the horse strategic resource tiles, if animal husbandry is not researched before settling on it. It won't show up as a strategic resource or as tradeable.

Test1 - I started with four settlers and settled on Silver (mining tech), Furs (animal husbandry tech), Incense (irrigation tech) and Horses (animal husbandy tech) without researching any techs first and while they showed up in the report screen, none of the lux's were used as counted as amenties in the cities and the horse resource didn't count as a strategic resource and none were showing up as being tradeable with other civs. Also, researching the techs afterwards didn't resolve this.

Test2 - Again, four settlers. This time I researched the techs before settling on resources. I managed to settle on Truffles (animal husbandry tech), Incense (irrigation tech), Marble (mining tech) and horses (animal husbandry tech). This time all resources acted as normal. The lux's counted as amenities in the cities and horses counted as a strategic resource and all were tradeable with other civs.

While I didn't test any bonus resources it could possibly affect these too?

Victoria and Sun Tzu Wu like this.
  19. Sun Tzu Wu

From my limited experience bonus resources simply add a bonus to the yield of the tile, if worked. They are not tradeable or unlock specific units (Swordsmen, Horsemen) like luxury resources or strategic resources.

20. TheGreatSleepyOne

TheGreatSleepyOne Chieftain

Have you tried reloading the game after researching the required techs?
    For example, settle on a mining resource pre-mining. Then research mining, save, and reload.