To hill or not to hill

Your first settler stands on plains but there is a hill 1-2 tiles away. What do you do

• Total voters
"2. I have noticed the default choice of first worker seems to be more production based so early manual intervention is often required."

Now I have no own experience with c6, just watching people play. As I remember, they used food+production priority or no priority at all. Would be interested to know, whether it works without intervention, if ONLY food becomes prioritized (in the beginning).
I think Victoria meant that the automatic choice is biased towards production.
Yes, and I meant 'the automatic choice' should be influenced from "no priority at all" to "prioritize ONLY FOOD":

when a city is selected, you see in the lower right corner the city box. Directly above the city name is a line with the yields: culture, food, production ...

click on the button left of the food icon - the LED is turned on. I interpret that as priority on food.

[[edit: Would be interested to know, whether it works without manual intervention]]

Last edited:
special tiles from ring3 will take too long, those must (and should) be bought ASAN (possibly with a ring2 tile in between

What I do is buy the third ring tile with my settler#1 for 50 gold instead of 75g. (5 space between city in a L shape)

About manual intervention, to me it's about locking tiles in a balanced way, not entirely food nor production, but the best balance between turn and growth and what I'm trying to achieve, and to micromanage news citizens from there.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yep, that works as intended, in my experience.

I still often manually assign it, though, because I only want the first one on a 3-food tile. The second one, for me, is best used in a tile with more production (such as a 2 food and 2 production) instead of a pure food tile.

Thank you all for your answers!
Yep, that works as intended, in my experience.

I still often manually assign it, though, because I only want the first one on a 3-food tile. The second one, for me, is best used in a tile with more production (such as a 2 food and 2 production) instead of a pure food tile.
I'm glad, that it works to switch a 'more production based' towards a 'more food based' automatic tile usage of the city governor via the Food priorization. Of course this must be switched on&off per manual intervention and be controlled, because the program isn't clairvoyant.

I think, it depends heavily on the concrete situation. If after the 'first one' another strong high food tile e.g. 4-1-0 (grasslandsHillsRainforestBanana) is available, I wouldn't hesitate to use that as 'second one' (maybe even a 'third one') ... but if there is "only" a 3-0-0 grasslandsMarsh and additionally a 2-3-0 grasslandsHillsWoodsDeer ... no question!

Some "good tiles" might not be so good depending on the situation, though. Rice in a marsh is not so stellar if the surrounding terrain is all grasslands, for example.

I like having at least a 3-food tile, a river and some hills (preferrably plains hills). Everything else for me is a bonus. I think I'm not too picky. As for good features, I'd say:
  • Rice in marsh, or wheat in floodplains (4 food without improvements, up to 6 food after Feudalism, and 7 food after Replaceable Parts)
  • Horses in plains (Horses = Horsemen = more cities)
  • Diamonds or Silver on plains hill* (mines are awesome after Industrialization, 3 gold on top is just awesome)
  • Ivory on rainforest hill (2 food, 3 production and 1 gold unimproved, after Mercantilism it becomes 2 food, 4 production and 3 gold)
  • Woods on plains hill besides a river (enough said)
* To a lesser extent, Copper or Gypsum on a plains hill is also good.
What I find particularly useful is an opening spot that has wheat/rice (irrigation boost), horses (horseback riding boost + horses), stone (masonry boost) and a mineable resource (Iron would be great, but is never revealed close by in my experience) for wheel boost within the first 2 rings so I can get a good tech boost at the start.

What I find particularly useful is an opening spot that has wheat/rice (irrigation boost), horses (horseback riding boost + horses) ...
I watched right now Civilization 6 - Deity Aztec Let's Play of Marbozir and found it funny to be torn between settling in place or crossing the river towards a settlement 1 tile west or northwest ... interesting start anyway.

I watched right now Civilization 6 - Deity Aztec Let's Play of Marbozir and found it funny to be torn between settling in place or crossing the river towards a settlement 1 tile west or northwest ... interesting start anyway.

He said he would improve spices without giving a reason then realised after its was a mistake and furs would have been much better. Not a good educational video apart from the irony of getting aztecs, about 6 luxuries and no opposition.

The basics are missed, always look at what tiles are worked before using a builder to improve.

I've never seen anything like that many bonus tiles on my maps!
The accompanying text says: "Seed from the video:
Game seed: 1427259909 // Map seed: 1427259910
Standard resources, balanced starting position (need to change the default for starting position)

For people without the Aztec DLC you can use that seed with Scythia and have the same start."
He said he would improve spices without giving a reason then realised after its was a mistake and furs would have been much better.
I think, at the point he improved spices, it was ok; but I'd prefer sheep & furs instead of wheat & truffels (improved & worked). This start has a lot of options to try out and consider.

"Not a good educational video apart from the irony of getting aztecs, about 6 luxuries and no opposition."
:D I should have included a warning, because until now I have seen NONE good educational video on the subject of improvements.
But I lolled alot ... "Where the heck are the AIs? It is a little bit strange." ... as Montezuma on Pangea!
(In his last game as Barbarossa he explored just a little bit, mentioned "that would be a nice place to settle & the next he saw was a scythian settler :D)

"The basics are missed, always look at what tiles are worked before using a builder to improve."
What do you expect from people, who always have the yields switched OFF?? :eek:

Last edited:
ha!... maybe I should make one. Or perhaps just a big write up in a post.. Someone is asking about winning above King... I think I could do something there.
I didn't find moving from King to Emperor to be a big deal compared to the same in Civ V. If you build a decent military early on the AI will not even surprise attack you.
A strong aggressive early strategy on king will work on emperor.

The issue with this game is it is too easy to go agressive and too easy to win that way.

Unless going domination (which is currently pretty easy) one uses the following rules.

You are not allowed to start a war.
You are not allowed to take more than 1 city from any civ aggressively. Through diplomacy is Ok)
To win you must have only 2 red faces at the end

This makes it possible but harder.

With respect to "To hill or not to hill" I'd like to link to Civ VI - Deity Kongo Mvemba 1 of SBFMadDjinn.

It is also better from a educational point of view. The settling sequence starts at 7:18.

Had some nice bits, bad quality was annoying. It missed many decisions or he made some without discussing well enough. It really need a thread or two with lots of input. And how many slingers did he build?
There is no right way really.

One way I have been measuring things is to add up the points for the top 5 tiles. Food = 1. Production =1 everything else = 1/2, yes even culture for the first city. I also add +1 for a hill and a swamp. I then remove 2 points from each tile and what is left is the value for settling. Its a general simple rule and reality is more complex like trees on hills on rivers and having great food tiles (sugar on swamp) combined with 3/4 hill tiles makes a perfect settling ground for an eventual powerhouse. Its in this area of banana hills and jungle diamonds and jungle elephant hills etc that things get interesting. Double havesting jungle diamonds is cool.

Last edited:
I don't think you can harvest diamonds, being a luxury. But I like the point system, it's useful especially after you settled the most interesting places (luxuries, bonuses etc)

This has vexed me a little at times so interested in other peoples view.
Naturally if it was the only hill around and I could not restart I would probably mine it but that is an exception.

So, before expending a settler, I hit "Y" and see, say... 2 food, 1 hammer. Then I settle, and... it's still 2 food and 1 hammer.

is the map overlay just wrong?

Nothing wrong with the map overlay. 2 food, 1 hammer is a grassland hill tile (2 food for the grasslands and +1 hammer for the hill). A plains hill tile would be 1 food and 2 hammers (1 food, 1 hammer from plains and +1 hammer for the hill).

When you settle a city, the city center yield is "topped up" to 2 food and 1 hammer, so if the tile already has 2 food and 1 hammer (like the grassland hill), settling does nothing. A plains hill, on the other hand, only has 1 food, so settling will top the food up to 2, resulting in 2 food and 2 hammers.

Nothing wrong with the map overlay. 2 food, 1 hammer is a grassland hill tile (2 food for the grasslands and +1 hammer for the hill). A plains hill tile would be 1 food and 2 hammers (1 food, 1 hammer from plains and +1 hammer for the hill).

When you settle a city, the city center yield is "topped up" to 2 food and 1 hammer, so if the tile already has 2 food and 1 hammer (like the grassland hill), settling does nothing. A plains hill, on the other hand, only has 1 food, so settling will top the food up to 2, resulting in 2 food and 2 hammers.

Ahhh, thank you!

Top Bottom