1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To Much Jungle?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by etipton3, Jun 20, 2012.

1. etipton3

etipton3 Chieftain

Is it me or is every new start flooded with jungle tiles? Seems like since G&K there is mass jungle and forest tiles, making it take forever to explore early.

2. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

Which civ are you playing? Some of them likely have a more jungle-heavy start than others.

3. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Warlord

Not that I've noticed. I've played one map on continents and one on pangaea. If you are on a continent and it happens to be in the ecquador area, it will be littered with jungles so maybe that was the case.

4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

What nations did you have on the map? Playing as Celts or Mayans, I had jungle/forest filled maps, but that was due to the Celt's starting bias and Aztec/Iroquois neighbors. Starting as Eithiopia on a quick game yesterday, didn't have a jungle in sight - but my neighbors were Huns, Romans, Byzantines and Spanish - no starting bias for any foliage at all!

5. etipton3

etipton3 Chieftain

I have only used 2, the mayans and attila, so maybe its just the bias...

6. Calouste

Calouste Deity

I've seen quite a bit of Jungle, but it is a massive science boost once you get a University. It takes ages to improve, so I just ignore it in the beginning. Great tiles with Trading Posts and part of the Rationalism tree. You will probably also want to take Commerce, not just for the Finisher but also for the discount on buying buildings and units, because of course they don't give any production.

7. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

I play huge maps, so there are alwys large spots of each land type.

8. Cicero63

Cicero63 Warlord

One thing that caught my eye is the Austria always seems to be in a jungle, which doesn't make too much sense

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I played as Austria last night and I started in a near-tundra plain fringed with forests. My continent didn't have much jungle at all. It was pretty narrow at the equator.

10. Calouste

Calouste Deity

I've seen quite a few starts with the Dutch starting close to a mountain, which doesn't make much sense either.

11. EulerMcE

EulerMcE Warlord

Whenever I play as the Celts I seem to be surrounded by jungle with a single forest.

12. kgoodrid

kgoodrid Warlord

My current game as Byzantium (Standard Continents) had lots of jungle in my area. My closest neighbor was Maya - maybe that was why? I grabbed the +1 Faith / Jungle Pantheon Belief, and it was a nice boost early on. Now that I am adding trading posts to the jungle tiles, they are becoming quite nice.

13. Baleur

Baleur Prince

14. Roboe

Roboe Chieftain

Too much jungle?
    Spoiler :

Nah, I don't know what you're talking about ;)

15. puyo

puyo Chieftain

Agree with OP, almost every game I find so many jungle....

16. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Its great for the pantheon sacred path +1 culture for each jungle tile in your borders and with the university and the trading post it has +2 food +2 gold +2 science and +1 culture big bonus

17. Ajuga

Ajuga Prince

I'm not complaining, makes science very easy to come by.
    (And once you build roads they are not so bad.)

18. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

There is about 500% more jungle is all my games now. The aztecs may now accidentally be the best civ :crazyeye:

19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Austria should have a mountain start bias (but I don't know if that defines whether there is or isn't jungle).

Actually, Austria's start bias is probably my favourite.

20. ahawk

ahawk King

I think it's too early to say yet, unless someone's looked at the programming code. After all, isn't start-bias based on chance? Out of 100 starts with any civ, there's probably still 5 to 10 starts where a civ gets its exact opposite preferrence (England not on coastline, Denmark in desert, Arabia in snow).

Thus, if some have played only 5 to 10 starts, they could have incredible luck (or unluck) and roll 3 out of 5 starts with opposite-terrain, then go on to have 20 straight starts with preferred terrain, or at least tolerable terrain.