To The Great Beyond - Space Empires!

Hello again,

Having thought about it, I'm going to try to be as inclusive as possible, and go with the minimalist approach. I had after all intended that this would be a blank canvas of a galaxy for players to fill in. BUT, having said that, for the sake of my sanity, I may still have to put some of the submissions on the 'waiting list', so apologies in advance. I hope you can forgive me.

No update in sight tonight, I still have quite a bit of prep to do. its looking like Sunday will be the day (hopefully a regular update day).

I don't have the time to invest fully into this, so disregard my reserve post. Definitely still watching this, and if an opportunity pops up in the future I might try to hop in, assuming there's an opening.

@Decamper, that's up to you - again, I really (really) appreciate your time. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer about the technology side of things.

I'm posting with the hope that there won't be any culling.

@Belgarion95, welcome! I hope I'll be able to include your race. I do however have an issue - at the risk of seeming like a douche with everything that people are creating and posting: Silicon-based life is not something I can happily roll with, given what I have read over the years. Planet Earth is silicon-rich, carbon-poor, and yet we only have carbon-based life... It just doesn't sit well with me as an idea :/

I've no problems with having a race that has a silicon exoskeleton (like Diatoms) and unusual metabolism, if we could leave it at that? :o

I'm excited Daft :) I'll have to post a story once I figure out who my avians can prey upon :3

Ok wait, are subs closed for now are are they still open for another day or so?

I am HAINEEM and this is my MANIFESTO.

I am WRATHFUL.

There is a WORLD of CONTROL and DOMINANCE.

A world of DRONING VOICES.

A world where our RIGHTS are NOTHING.

I am ENRAGED.

And I'm not going to put up with it any longer.

I am LEAVING, and those who are not yet INDOCTRINATED by the INCESSANT HUM of this DAMNED PLANET would be wise to do the VERY SAME.

I am FURIOUS.

A PLAGUE on you ALL for letting this happen.

LIFE has VALUE and it is MORE than you SELL it for.

All I want is a GODDAMNED TREE to hang from, a HEADY BREEZE and my FAMILY around me.

I will NOT be a BEAT in your RHYTHM.

I will NOT be a part of your MACHINE.

I will NOT scrape my FOOD off a GRATE in a METAL CAGE.

Seeoo is RUINED and I will have NO FURTHER PART in it.

DAMN YOU ALL!

I am Tugga and this is my song.

It is simple, but it has been sung by many of my family, and we value its history.

There were good and happy times in our past, but also very violent and sad ones.

Once we were rich, we had a grove of our own. It was cool, and the winds often buffeted it, but it was ours, and we harmonized in the wind.

Wars came, and we survived. More wars came, and our grove was burned out of spite, to deny it to the enemies of our attackers.

We have since lived beneath others. Some of us survived the Worst War. Most of us didn't. Some of us who survived helped to build the Stability. It was out of fear of a Worse than Worst War that we did so.

Thus, now we live, our every day reduced to a digit in a zero-sum calculation. We have our peace, we have the bounties we need to survive, we have our global chorus.

But what have we given up for this? It isn't right. This is no way to live.

I wish to wander where I will.

I wish to sire children, without having to first watch the death of my parents.

I wish to live in a world where my existence creates value, rather than being indebted at my inception, only to complete payment on this loan of life at the instant of my death.

It is with this in mind that I state my resignation from the Stabilizing Directorate. I wish you all the best, but this arrangement suits me no more. Good-bye.

My name is unimportant, but I speak for Peace.

We have learned many sobering lessons from the Worst War.

From these lessons, we have derived the Five Principles of Governance.

Principal the First, it is the self-evident and fundamental nature of the Hlur-Baiheen to desire to live freely, propagate and sing.

Principal the Second, the result of unlimited growth within a finite space is resource conflict.

Principal the Third, conflict leads to a loss of all good things desired by the Hlur-Baiheen.

We never want to go back to that time of strife. What incalculable losses have we incurred through our conflicts? What untold potential for Hlur happiness has been sacrificed between us? If we lapse in our dedication to the cause of Peace, then we shall inevitably fall back into the Cacophony of War. And were another war to come, with the technology we now possess, it would doubtlessly be even more destructive. We grudgingly accept this tendency towards conflict as an inevitable product of the psyche of our species.

Thus, we derive the Fourth Principle, the basis of our end-state civilization. Growth must be halted and goods distributed evenly, to deny the origin of conflict, and thus allow for the continuation of our existence. This is the raison d'être our Stabilizing Institution.

For a time, we have been content with Four Principles, but the difficulty of putting our policies into practice, coupled with recent events, have led us to recognize the necessity of a Fifth Principle. Let it be understood that the Stabilizing Directorate does not stand for stagnation, and will re-examine the tenets underlying its foundation as the circumstances require.

The diversity of the Hlur-Baiheen psyche precludes universal acceptance of the Principles. Resistance to the Fourth Principle creates conflict, which negates the very purpose for its existence. Thus, for the Fourth Principle to remain in practice, there must be a chance to reject it. Thus, we come to the Fifth Principle. Hlur-Baiheen who reject the Fourth Principle must be allowed to freely depart the Directorate.

We wish you the very best, and hope that you find all that you treasure among the stars. We hope and believe that you will someday share our beliefs.

Great stories, Lord Iggy :D

-> On course for Sunday update 0.

As a random aside, for the crowd of people who for some reason chose to start with a hot Type F star without good reason - I'm basically ignoring your preference and randomising it, to get a bit more variety on the map.

Also, you can't start around a hypergiant star because it explodes well before complex life has a chance to get started. I decided Immaculate's race can start with a White Dwarf for a star.

Ok wait, are subs closed for now are are they still open for another day or so?

I'm afraid I already reached carrying capacity, but there will be a waiting list I will add you too, if you wish.

I vote for A too.

I posted some time ago. Am I in? Am I on the waiting list? I only found out like right now what I want to play.

~

The Varyn are a nomad Fremen-ish people on a post-apocalyptic planet. They worship the dead remains of a eldritch-y beast which caused the apocalypse a couple of thousand years ago - just before the Varyn reached the space age. The carcass is part machine, unfathomably huge and was probably built as a superweapon by some Varyn nation back when there was stuff like grass and oceans on the planet.

I'm thinking it could look like this, except bigger. Say this size.

Currently the remains cause weird crystals to grow from the sand around it, because of a freak atomic radiation effect. These crystals purify water from the world's high radiation while having an assortment of elements inside the water coagulate into nutrients, making it possible for the Varyn to be alive at all. These crystals do this while taking on radiation themselves, basically fueling small nuclear depots of energy. After having absorbed enough radiation, the crystals can be used as fuel or as weapons.

Varyn acolytes.

Today's Varyn are united as a paranational tribe, governed by a circle of mutated elders. Children born with sickly mutations or boils are sent to be raised by the elders - most die, but some make it out alive. Since the catastrophe, Varyn have evolved a sixth sense that can feel radiation and discern between different sources of radiation. This is something the elders are particularly good at. The desert planet is covered by a web of radio towers that extend this sixth sense of the elders, having most of the planet's inhabitants monitored and controlled by the circle. "Wars" don't exist on the planet. The weaponry and technology available is only used to kill off heretics and rebels that are unworthy of the Great Beast.

"Yuck, you feel like uranium today. Go wash."

The Great Beast is a weird thing. It lies on the planet's surface in the sea of sand and towers above the wavy dunes. It has several "limbs" or "parts" or what have you, and most are detachable but leave radio signals that trace the severed parts back to where they are taken from. Strange technology indeed. Of course only the circle of elders are allowed to take parts to look at or crystals to distribute between clans. The technology that shaped this creature is of course lost, and the elders actively seek to recreate the Beast.

In the only Varyn city, the underworld metropolis of Tykorra, the detached pieces are joined to form a giant, immobile mass of divine flesh. What experiments the elders perform upon this thing is a mystery, but they're surely seeking to reclaim the lost technology.

The elders seek to reinvigorate the creature, beginning the Era of Beauty, a prophecized time where the Beast is said to once again walk the earth in all its glory... And then it is supposed to rise from the planet and plummet into the sun, ending the universe and drawing all living things into Heaven, ascending everything to become pure energy and gamma radiation.

Eternity lies ahead of us, and behind. Have you drunk your fill?

This particular belief of the Varyn cult will probably evaporate as they interact more and more with the universe, and will probably slowly change the religion into a more reasonable belief system that still somehow elevates the carcass to something supernatural. Who knows?

So why are they going into space? Simple: Their world is a radioactive desert. While the crystals grant enough food to sustain a surprisingly large population, resource acquisition is still high on Varyn priorities. It is of course seen as a holy envoy, space colonists seen as crusaders to claim interstellar territory in the name of the Beast. Also, the metals used to create the Beast are quite strange. While they are most probably present on the homeworld, it is a varietal chaos of minerals in the sand. Some proper resource surplus would perhaps make the homeland rich enough to finish the Beast research. Varyn FTL warp stuff is basically based on the radioactive crystals at this point, as well as a sizable oil/coal/gas reserve deep within the planet. The industrial capacity of this buried organic tissue is perhaps the only plentiful resource the desert planet holds.

Faction name: The Beast's Crusade
Race name: Varyn
Primary traits: Survivalists, Zealots
Flavour traits: Scavengers, Collectivists
Primary colour: Yellow/Sand
Secondary colour: Black
Homeworld name: Dry Sea
Homeworld type: Tech
Home star type: Similar to the Sun.
Natural Environment: Used to be an earthlike planet, but is now a radioactive wasteland.
Physical form: Human-ish with straight out yellow skin and is hairless except for the head. Everyone is born as one gender that are chosen during puberty, but can be reversed over a couple of years. A caste exists that has severe mutations.
Starting units: Warship, Troops
Start location: QUIET

I'm afraid I already reached carrying capacity, but there will be a waiting list I will add you too, if you wish.

Sure! Do I need an elaborated template to be on the waiting list?

Google search returns... Nothing. Is Karakal spelled right? :I

Sure! Do I need an elaborated template to be on the waiting list?

@Azale it wouldn't hurt to provide the short version, if you already have an idea, but I'll add you to the list anyhow.

I vote for A too.

I posted some time ago. Am I in? Am I on the waiting list? I only found out like right now what I want to play.

@Angst, very interesting :) Welcome! I did reserve a spot for you following your post, but I'm in the middle of putting together the map right now, so please give me your basic startup template ASAP (or it may have to wait until turn 1).

Once again you've kinda broken my game system, but its all good ;), if you're happy about the game mechanics treating your story as an 'Oddity' resource (ancient relics). And what your people believe about the Great Beast may be just that - their beliefs.

@Angst, very interesting :) Welcome! I did reserve a spot for you following your post, but I'm in the middle of putting together the map right now, so please give me your basic startup template ASAP (or it may have to wait until turn 1).

Once again you've kinda broken my game system, but its all good ;), if you're happy about the game mechanics treating your story as an 'Oddity' resource (ancient relics). And what your people believe about the Great Beast may be just that - their beliefs.

Please feel free to appropriate your rules system to my state in whatever way you think is proper to the game rules and feels natural. I don't mind at all. Stats are supposed to abstracize real objects into numbers after all. I'm simple glad you like my entry.

Isn't the entry at the bottom of my species description sufficient? I think I filled the template correctly. You might have missed it of course.

The Karak Exodus from GalaxyNES, one of your old nations. ;)

Ah yes ! I was actually heavily inspired by these guys but I forgot their names other than the planet Exodus. Rereading it I'm kind of amazed at how many of the details I've retraced. Completely forgot about Kukulza too.

Kukulza was always a ton of fun, especially because I wrote it a history which fit in with a bunch of the rest of that universe. Maybe we'll return to that other branch of the galaxy some day. ;)

It was lovely for you to care so much and craft so much Iggy. It is a valid candidate for necromancy. :)

Btw Daft: I am crafting a flag/insignia/something. Partly because I like the bonus... I hope you can let me have the bonus. Currently I need to eat and then I'm going to finish the flag.

Here's the flag/symbol of the Varyn.

The upper part is the sun, the lower part is the hand of God/the Beast. I consider naming the flag the Sceptre of God (making it a semi-shoutout to Path of Exile), but I haven't decided yet. There's supposed to be a whole ideological consideration behind the symbolism that I haven't finished. But the flag itself... It's certainly done. Enjoy.

If anyone needs the flag without the texture, please let me know and I will upload it.

Top Bottom