1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To the vanilla players: why do you hate mods?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sadhukar, Mar 3, 2011.

1. NukeEm

NukeEm Chieftain

I love mods in general. However in the case of Civilization I stay FAR away from mods. I've been playing Civ since the original and since Civ3 I've been trying mods. I don't like them. Often I find myself annoyed with the changes... some of the changes feel the person said "Wouldn't it be cool if... xyz rule change" and then the game feels broken. I have faith in the developers and I paid them good money to make a product and refine it if needed. Mod's for me, are an unwanted addition to an already fine game.

But if I play Neverwinter Night I want my class mods... the ones that add like 50+ classes to pick from. For me that's fun. More choice... but Civ mod additions just don't have the same quality as the devs. Again, in my opinion.

2. bruntfca

bruntfca Warlord

I want to play the game with the largest community.

Playing some obscure mod can make me feel isolated. I dont "hate" mods however.

In some cases mods are plain better than the original game. The guy above needs to perhaps re-evaluate his oppinion of mods.

Fall from Heaven is a game in itself, in many ways its better than the orginal and competing games; so much thought went into the background of the factions, the lore and gameplay. It's also a mod that has an active community, hence I don't feel like I'm wasting my time with it.

Some "modders" are more talented than people who are "professionals" - remember professional simply means someone who does something for money, not that it's automatically good; I've met many incompetent "pros". The designer of FFH2 has now gone off to work for Stardock - to fix a game (Elemental War) that was developed by "professionals":p

3. NukeEm

NukeEm Chieftain

I usually don't like "large mods" because... well I purchased Civ not that mod... mods for me are enhancements to a game. for some players they like the idea of monolithic mods that change everything and create a new experience. Personally, I don't want that. I want the game I purchased and paid for. So sure, Fall from Heaven is a great mod with a fleshed out story and an active community... then it should be it's own game. I paid to play Civ, not a mod that changes the game completely.

I understand that many people want to break into the business and become pro by making mods and I applaud that. But for the one mod you named, there are how many failed attempts? Also... I'm glad you pointed out that a modder went professional... because in the end professional is where everyone wants to be and where customers, like myself, would prefer my content to come from.

In the end, I just don't understand why so much effort is put into mods that are "...better than the orginal and competing games..." when they could be making their own games. This is kinda where we are now... Civ for so long delivered and now that Civ5 is out and people are upset with the changes (not speaking for myself here) they want options. Right NOW would have been prime time for a new empire building game considering Civ is struggling a little. Someone could have made the "Minecraft" of empire building games... instead.. we have more mods...

This is all personal preference. If people like mods for Civ5 good for them. I don't. Free country, deal with it.

4. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

yes, the latest patch

5. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

This is me in a nutshell except past tense.

I purchased the first four civs in a box (and manual), installed, and played them. I never used the internet or forums(my computer to me was a civ games console), and although my son had told me about Mods and patches I NEVER EVER USED ONE.

My son brought civ 5 for my birthday through STEAM. At first I refused to use a mod, then after thinking how ridiculous the unit ruins repeated upgrades were - I used my first mod! All patches automaticly download through steam, so now the ice has broken! I have become receptive to the use of mods. I hate the idea of nukes, so I might use a mod that excludes the uranium resource!

I was like a stuborn old git that refused to bend, but we have to move forward with the times.

6. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

The wwgd ai mod does a lot to fix ai irrationality. Vanilla patch helps but the mod also seriously decreases victory competitiveness and increases willingness to use gold on city states.

As for those resistant to mods, I suggest breaking into them through ui enhancements. I suggest infoaddict and gp info panel as wonderful ways to enhance your ecxperience without altering actual game play

7. Alexastor

Alexastor Warlord

I don't play with gameplay mods because I'm happy with Civ 5 as it is right now. It might change when I play more (just 100h played for now).

And although I'm creating maps and mods myself I do not wish to play with plain ugly mods. I download maps and play them already and I think I might play high quality mods in the future.

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Well, the Mods are fun if they are totally different worlds, etc. Some of the ones that alter terrain and such are neat too.

I don't like ones that just alter the rules because we happen to not like the way something works. I'd rather tackle the game the way it was originally intended to be played.

That said, this version of Civ obviously owes a lot to those modders.

9. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

I'm often very impressed by some players' posts regarding the level of detail they have gotten out of the game (breaking down the most minor details about running an economy, etc.) I'm not that detailed level of player. Maybe if I had mastered the game and fully figured out every aspect of it to the point where I got bored then I would use mods. :D

Signed, someone who plays a lot but is often too lazy too learn all the rules. :mischief:

10. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

I think there are a lot of good points as to why one might avoid mods listed above. I will reiterate some of them, but generally speaking I think the OP would be well-served to note what some of the other posters have said.

Personally, I've played a couple games with mods, but as many others have stated, I could not advance my achievements with the mods. Right now, that is not my main reason for not using mods, however. The time I actually considered mods was when the game was brand new and multiple issues were being pointed out such as policy saving, granary and stable uselessness, and so on. More and more these issues have been fixed by 2k and don't need mods.

My final two reasons for not using mods have been stated already... with the aggressive patch schedule and the obsessiveness of some modders, I'd never be able to finish a game before a mod was unplayable due to a patch or a mod is ten versions past where I started. I'm definitely going to wait until things calm down and the mods stop getting updated every hour before I lock in. Secondly, I'm DEFINITELY on the same line of thinking with many people when it comes to mods that add way too much. Yes, production takes longer in Civ V, but that is the point. If you remove that obstacle you're playing a different game. Minor tweaks are one thing, but I've seen some mods that almost double production speeds. That's way too much and it's hard for a mod to strike an appropriate balance here.

All that said, once I get my achievements done I'll probably play a "Barbs give up to 60xp" mod or some other that does a minor tweak to the game.

11. War_Pig

War_Pig Warlord

pretty much this.

12. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

yes, info addict sounds very tantalizing

13. cman2010

cman2010 King

I hear the new patch lowers the gold you get from tradepost etc so I may mod that along with a few other things.

14. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Huh? Why on earth would you even want to do that?

15. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Yikes, what does it say about the way this forum has gone that the original post hardly even registered as negative to me?

Anyways, to the OP, I use zero mods. Simply put, I like to play the standard version. When I say "I'm playing Civ V," everyone knows I'm playing Civ V with the out of box/patched tile outputs, out of box units, leaders, etc.

There are a few reasons why I don't use mods. For one, unlike you, I LIKE the game, and if I didn't, there would be plenty of other games I'd play instead of Frankensteining the base product. On top of that, I play a lot of multiplayer with various partners. When sessions are tough to line up and partners are unsure, you might have one partner who likes mod X, one who likes mod Y, and one who likes mod Z. What this leads to is a wildly inconsistent play experience - one game this civ and strategy sucks and another doesn't, one game this promotion will be garbage, that tech will be preferred, and it'll alter from mod to mod. With the vanilla game, everyone always knows all the rules coming in. There are no surprises, no "Oh yeah, horsemen can retreat in this one" type things. That counts for a lot for me.

For me, Vanilla Civ is a multi year process. I start out with my favourite leaders, slowly climb difficulty, experiment with other leaders, playing different ways, and it literally takes me years to exhaust all the stuff I'm happy to do. I can talk about all this with my regular group of civ buddies, and we always know we're all talking about the same thing - comparing notes and strategies and directly pitting them against each other when we play together. It's a bit of a community, and adding mods into it is a very jarring element for that community. What's more, in this forum, when anyone talks about Civ they'll assume you're talking about vanilla Civ - that's another element of community i partake in, and mods set me off from it somewhat.

So yeah, that's why I play vanilla. More power to those who play mods - I know there is a lot of great work being done out there, and I have no doubt mods can improve the game - but the pros aren't worth the cons to me.

16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

This

I enjoy the game unmodded. I also enjoy playing scenarios, different maps, civilisations etc.

I've also played some mods that aim to improve the basic game. The trouble is I rarely agree with all the changes an overhaul mod will make and since I'm too lazy and technically lacking to make my own overhaul to correct what I see as flaws I stick with the vanilla game or something pretty close to it.

17. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Might as well put Onni's CivWillard & your_w/Alpaca Custom_Notifications in that category since both are, IMO, essential.

18. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I will not play a gameplay-changing mod. Graphics and UI mod are ok, I guess, but I don't need those. Scenarios, on the other hand, are great and have been playing scenarios since Civ2. Scenarios are not "mods". They are more thought-out, play and balance tested and well-rounded.

19. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Not in my case, i'm happily retired with a stash of hard-earned money.
    I do it for kicks to challenge my skills backward to what i was once capable to achieve and to enhance "my" gameplay experience. If only a single person enjoys what i gave away for free - mission accomplished.

And since i have no direct contact with Firaxis staff & devs these mods become the proverbial message in a bottle thrown in the ocean and heading for a lucky shore or a stranded Robinson Crusoe that actually needs it.

Honestly, i'm addicted to the magic of control because i want to.
    Art is a simple perspective that i bend, mold and sculpt to fit my monitor while it runs a game i prefer to boredom or spectacular action flicks on TeeVee and in Cinemas.

As with anything business-wise, someone can become a pro through credentials - i do_did have a thick Port-Folio and used it often when necessary... time to pass the Torches.

20. buchengshi

buchengshi Warlord

That's about where I stand on mods. I'm not looking to change the game, I like it as it is. (Well, maybe not everything.) The only kind of mods I'd really be interested in is making some of the menus/etc more like Civ IV - tiny boxes on a high-res screen look stupid, and I hate scroling so much.

I will admit to having used the TSL Earth maps mod though. I miss the Earth 18 civ scenario that came with Civ IV.