1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To those who don't play with mods, why not?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

This game apparently has some good mods out and universal acceptance of a horrible stock AI.

If you choose not to play with mods, is there any particular reason? Such as the stock game provides a good enough challenge? Or the mods don't make enough difference for the trouble?

2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Half is lack of ease, half is a weird purism I can't help but have.

3. Jarms48

Jarms48 Prince

My friends aren't tech savy at all so if I want to play multiplayer with them I either need to uninstall my mods or install the mods for them.

4. White Out

White Out Prince

mods used by host are pushed to all players

5. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It's just far too early in the game's cycle for me. Playing with Mods reduces the help you get on here and leaves you unsure where bugs / strange behaviour is coming from.

Eagle Pursuit and c4c6 like this.
  6. GauntZero

GauntZero Warlord

Purism I think. I never play with any mods in any of my games. So it is nothing civ specific.

Thats also why mod support is the last thing I am interested in.

7. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

Also you never know for how long a mod is supported. And if I get used to new rules such as shorter district building time and then a patch changes it I might have to re-learn the rules. It's basically some strange purism I believe.

Moriarte, Spicer and c4c6 like this.
  8. Cao Cao Mengde

Cao Cao Mengde Warlord

Achievements, and a bizarre sense of unexplainable purism :p

9. Horace

Horace Likes to ski

Extracting a Zip into your mods folder does not really require much tech savvy. You still get achievements with mods? I seem to be getting them anyway

10. Jarms48

Jarms48 Prince

You'd think so. For them it's rocket science. They refuse to download them because "viruses". :/

11. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

Playing mods because the original game is flawed is like going into a restaurant, realize the foods are undercooked, so you walk into the kitchen and cook for yourself , and still you have to pay the restaurant .... it serves the purpose of getting palatable foods, but I just don't feel right about this practice.

I do accept mods if the original game is good enough and I have played long enough to the point I want a taste of different flavors.

12. diamond geezer

diamond geezer Warlord

For me it's too early to be using mods. Plenty of time for that later. Feel the same about DLCs.

Jimdigriz and Noble Zarkon like this.
  13. Cao Cao Mengde

Cao Cao Mengde Warlord

In Civ 5; mods didn't unlock achievements. Is it the same in Civ 6?

14. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Mainly because I like to discuss about strategies and balance, that's not possible when using Mods.
    Unless of course they're widely accepted as the default, which sometimes happens in communities of otherwise dead games.

Reg Pither, c4c6 and Noble Zarkon like this.
  15. migalhone

migalhone Monarch wannabe

I don't know if it's the same in Civ6, but in Civ5 there was an achievement for using a mod! :D

16. Gub

Gub Chieftain

To be fair, mods are not for everyone. With the exception of the cosmetic verity, mods generally require additional time investment, and can cause issues even when picking an established user friendly mods.. For people like my father, who do not speak English, and for whom anything but most basic internet use is a challenge.. Mods aren't not an option unless I set it up for him. Besides, his a casual, I buy him some games, which he sometimes play after work while watching the news, for him mods are often an unnecessary complication.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  17. WileyWilson

WileyWilson Chieftain

For the Civ series I prefer mods which improve the UI, graphics & AI. I avoid total conversions. I currently use 10 mods on Civ 6.

If the game is an open world RPG, I'll spend hours and hours installing and trying mods. I've spent a LONG time playing around with Witcher 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 mods.

Tiger Genocide, [to_xp]Gekko and c4c6 like this.
  18. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'd also like to know this. In the very early stages of game, I actually find it fun to earn the different achievements, and also it encourages me to pursue different kind of gameplay. I was quite annoyed that in Civ5, I couldn't use mods and earn achievements at the same time. In the end, the mods won by far in importance, but at this stage of Civ6, I'm holding off with them (although I did a bit of direct file editing to fix some of the most glaring annoyances).

19. Gub

Gub Chieftain

I don't like to play with multiple mods, too much chance of conflicts, and I don't have as much time as I use to go through all the fine print. Luckily I often come late to the party, so usually there are complication of the best play tested mods.

I don't know about the Witcher3, but on the modding front Bethesda has been of the friendlier companies, with rise of popularity of its games, and help of online DB things are much MUCH more hospitable than they used to be. When you had to spend hours just to search, find and install various tweaks using a command prompt, often having to troubleshoot things on desolate forums.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I will wait till the Steam Workshop is up. I am kind of a purist. I like mod civs, but not UI tools.

Ultimately, I usually hold out on mods until a large comprehensive mod is developed like Vox Populi for Civ V.