To Those Wishing For The Demise Of Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by John-SJ, Nov 20, 2010.

1. John-SJ

John-SJ Chieftain

It is unfortunate, but I have been seeing the attitude expressed on this forum that we should all hope for the quick demise of Civ 5 as this will be the quickest way to get Civ VI into our hands. And, I think that, judging by some of the posts I see here, there are those who not only hope for Civ 5's demise, they encourage it by various means.

If Firaxis is like so many companies though, especially in this economy, one element that is absolutely essential to the ability to financing the development effort of Civ 6, is the success of Civ 5.

I could name a lot of companies, not just gaming companies, others too, that, because of a less than successful product 2 years ago, today are out of business. (Monte Cristo is the first one that comes to mind)

Certainly I do not wish to quiet those who don't like Civ 5 as much as some others, we all have opinions, and CFC is gracious enough to provide us with a forum for their expression. I think most of us would like Civ 5 to be a better game, and we all have our own ideas of how to make it better.

But I will suggest that perhaps some forms of expression, especially those that are likely to discourage people from trying the game, or those that may discourage others from suggesting the game to friends, may be counterproductive in the long run.

Sterling games are produced by strong companies more often that not, and Firaxis needs Civ 5 sales in order to be strong when Civ 6 development time rolls around.

2. ezwip

ezwip Prince

Some of the disappointed fans are punishing the company in retaliation. It's cause and effect. Firaxis should have seen it coming as this is one of the oldest and most outspoken fan bases of any pc game. They are also very tech savvy and you can't just silence them by kicking them off 2k forums.

3. John-SJ

John-SJ Chieftain

Agreed. I'm just saying, if we want Firaxis to be the company to produce Civ 6 rather than a loose knit group of amateur programmers, this may not be a winning strategy.

4. ezwip

ezwip Prince

I would argue that these fans that are complaining are one of the driving forces in sales. When they are content they sell the game for you. That is how a site such as fanatics is even here.

5. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Why do you think Firaxis is a strong company when they are bloodsucked to the bone by take two !
    If it was a fair trade between the two companies we will have seen Firaxis develop a long time ago. It's mostly helpless at this point !

6. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

Personally I value the quality of any recommendations I give to collegues and friends, whether that's a negative or positive view of a product. Those views will stay factual from my perspective, and certainly are not going to be tempered by the future demise or success of the original designers/publishers.

If they want to move onto - in this case V6 - then their qualification for doing so is a successful V5, end of story. If they mess up V5, and we all have our views on that can of worms, then they can expect nothing less than zero enthusiasm for a V6.

There is no free lunch in the Games or any other Business sector - deliver or die off, simple as that. To expect some kind of automatic benevolent sympathy level from those who just shelled out circa $50 is not real world, certainly not real from those who may believe they just wasted $50. The latter are hardly likely to think "oh thats ok, I'll shell out another $50 when V6 comes out, no doubt it'll be ok next time ...."

Not gonna happen.

Regards
    Zy

7. wurstburst

wurstburst Prince

OP is 100% correct. If Civ V fails, the odds of getting a Civ VI, or robust expansions to Civ V drops dramatically.

Business execs are much more likely to cut and run than they are to soul search and correct their past errors.

8. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Would that be such a huge loss? Would all the people who hate Civ 5 buys Civ 6 if it turns out to be just as bad as (or worse than) Civ 5?

I'll still have my Civ 2,3,4 and their mods.

:yup:

9. Xeus

Xeus Chieftain

Call me cynical but . . .

What you seem to be suggesting is that people should buy a bad product to support the possible development of a maybe better product at some time in the unforeseeable future?

Yeah, right.

10. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I agree with the OP. This forum needs more constructive criticism, and less pointless whining.

I remember the time after the release of Elemental (which was in much worse condition than Civ5 on release IMO), and the Stardock forum was full of elaborate and professionally written lists of suggestions how to make the game better. Such things help the devs to make good patches, expansions and Civ6, bashing the game totally has the opposite effect.

11. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

If they fail, they fail.

It is just that easy.
    Any plans for Civ6 will be dependant on the economic success of Civ5. They have targeted a price of around $50 (from the Aussies they get even more), they have certain costs and from that they know how many copies they have to sell.
    Selling copies is very much based on the quality of the product. Good quality means many copies sold, bad quality means less copies sold.
    That's free market economy. Satisfy your customers and you'll be successful, dissatisfy your customers and you will have to leave.

They have it in their own hands, no need for us to do some kind of collect for the poor and helpless.

12. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

So, just because you don't stop bashing Civ5, Mr. Jon Shafer loses his skills in development and programming? Ok, good to know.

13. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I recall seeing many "what could be improved in Civ5" threads at this forum. And most criticism I see here are less "pointless whinging" and more actually pointing out where exactly the developers have gone wrong.

14. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

No, but less people buy Civ5 and DLCs/expansions, so they have less funds to develop it further.

15. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Good quality will survive. Kind of Darwinism.

16. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

And that is not the fault of the players.

17. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Sometimes even good quality loses to hostile propaganda.

No, it's the fault of the whiners.

18. Yngvi

Yngvi Chevalier du Tastevin

I agree with the OP.

For my part, this game has the real potential to be a masterpiece. The problem was the disaster of an unfinished release, and negative attitudes seem to have hardened to the point that some take a certain delight in hoping V goes down in flames.

My major complaint with the pre-patch game is that it was absurdly easy; it was unfinished. The first major patch did wonders, and I eagerly await the upcoming patch.

Excoriate the management that rushed the release of an unfinished game and that is making the decision to go with DLC over modability. I do. But I have come to love this game and what it can be when they finish it.

19. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Even more when the quality is not good.

20. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

Agreed with the OP.

I don't mind constructive criticism, but pointless whining about the same topics again and again are making this forum as a whole, less enjoyable to visit.