1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To Those Wishing For The Demise Of Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by John-SJ, Nov 20, 2010.

1. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

Oh i have no problem with "negative threads".
    But i do have a problem when there are 6-7 threads which are about the exact same thing, made by people who like to "spread the love" so to say.
    Pointless whining leads nowhere, multiple threads about the same subject leads to a very cluttered forum, thank god some of the mods have been "merging threads" cause it's been a mess.

2. taylor_cu

taylor_cu Chieftain

Exactly!! :goodjob:

3. Rural Tom

Rural Tom Chieftain

Thusly, in my opinion, giving everyone who has a beef with CiV to scream as loudly as possible... those few who read and/or post on a site like CFC are a tiny sliver of the vast audience who purchased the game. Whine non-stop and at full volume and hopefully this small minority of those who take the game rather (too) seriously be heard! Perhaps some of the folks who care about and create at Firaxis will take the hardcore audience more seriously than the suits who only wants our $$$

Perhaps not by Call of Duty standards, but they are raking in cash, will make money through the holidays, will make money thorugh the expansions... Who are we kidding when we worry that there won't be a CivVI? Because it was a financial flop? What we want to insure is that it's a better Civ than this one!

and yes, I speak as a depressed, lamenting hater of what V is!

4. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

Very True, however in the long run they have to earn that support. At the very top end of a Business Planning cycle is a simple maxim:

"You are only as good as your last Product"

A maxim any experienced Exec or Sales Individual knows only too well. Civ 5 was guaranteed to be a financial success, before its details were even known, before the first reviews came out, and way before people got their hands on a copy. The overwhelming number of buyers had no idea if it was going to be good or bad, the buy decision came from :

- Past Civilisation experience, especially Civ IV
    - Personal Recommendation from friends & collegues based on Civ IV success
    - Game Reviews backing up the first two
    - No massive wave of negative comment outside Fan Forums after initial release.

They didnt say to themselves, "ahh thats a good one I'll buy that" because until they actually tried it, they had no idea. Therefore the result was as inevitable as it was obvious, excellent Sales provided the main reviewers known to the Public at large outside Fan Sites held back any negative slaughter.

Civ 5 will evolve - into what remains to be seen, but the whole Civ 6 cycle starts right here. If Civ 5 - once its cycle of patches and Packs is completed - ends up with a mega tick in the box from those who by now have played it, and main Reviewers who by then are more relaxed about giving negative comment, then Civ 6 is assured. If however at the end of the whole dev cycle those who bought the game finally decide "thats rubbish" - Civ 6 is dead in the water, no investor will touch it unless they know some pretty drastic changes from Civ 5 - and proven changes - are in the works.

So yes, Civ 5 is a financial success, but that success was always going to happen due to the Franchise reputation and Civ IV plaudits, its not because of the game itself as most had no idea what it was like until they bought it. If the evolution of Civ 5 gets scimped or tanks, Civ 6 is dead, it'll never happen because they didnt earn it by making Civ 5 a success in the eyes of people who by then have played it for a while.

I hope and pray they get there, at present its far too early to say, the "Jury is still out", and the final push on Civ 6 will not be known for a good while yet until Civ 5 is finished, and we are a long long way from the latter.

Regards
    Zy

5. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

more knees to the crotches of the beta testers will help civ 5 along..we gotta get these people out of there and new people in otherwise we can only expect more of the same
    Moderator Action: Trolling is not allowed here.
    Every response to this post will now, after it has been infracted, be seen as trolling too and will therefore also get infracted.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Enough. You don't know what actually goes on. At all. On top of that, you ignore evidence you've been provided. I can't see this as anything but an attempt to get a rise out of people.

7. Shogu

Shogu Warlord

The same thing happened to Civ 5 what happened to the empire total war series.

It is all about $$$$ .

Dumbing down game to reach wider range of customers.
    Spending more money on marketing than quality of product.
    More sales happens.

Remember $$$$

8. markantony

markantony Warlord

Ok and as I said I could not in all honesty recommend this game, regardless of what others say about it. Or does my participation in this forum prevent it from influencing me?

Yes, perhaps not.

9. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

@markantony: I received a warning from the mods, so it's better if I don't continue my discussion with you :)

10. markantony

markantony Warlord

Yeah, me too lol. Lets agree to disagree :)

11. Surgeon

Surgeon Warlord

I totally agree. The bile reposted again and again by the same twenty or so people makes trawling through this forum for the good stuff a pain.

12. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Lol, we old people can beat this game on deity straight away.
    So, telling as that we can not learn to play... lol.

This game is extremely simplistic and simply not fun.

13. Hormagaunt

Hormagaunt Warlord

I'm a casual player. I've never beaten Civ4 at Emperor level. The 4th time I tried, I beat Civ5 at Deity level.

*That* is one of the reasons why I'm complaining.

14. blind biker

blind biker King

Isn't this inflammatory?

15. Gatsby

Gatsby King

Yup. There most likely will be a Civ6 if Civ5 sales and official reviews are any indication - but don't be surprised if Civ6 turns out to be alot more like Civ5 than Civ4.

16. Vordeo

Vordeo King

Come to think of it, isn't Schafer's inexperience one of the main knocks people have against him?

Wouldn't it then be best for him to be in charge of Civ6? Anyone else taking over wouldn't have as much experience with the civ franchise (except for the CivIV guy, who doesn't seem likely to come back to the franchise).

Think Civ6 will end up being made, even if Firaxis somehow go under. The Civ franchise is too well known, and sells more copies than pretty much any TBS game out there. Someone else will buy the franchise and go from there. However, that game would probably come out much later, and would likely be made by an inexperienced team.

17. Geddy

Geddy Warlord

The failure of CiV will have no effect on Civ 6. You can be sure that Firaxis etc are sorely regretting their dumbing down and consquent pissing off of their customers. They will need a good Civ 6 to make up for it.
    Ps. Given some of the mild things people are getting posts banned around here, isn't discrimination on the basis of age out of the question too?

18. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

Wait for the patches before you say Civ 5 is a failure.

The smart thing for PC gamers with no patience is to wait at least 6 months after release before purchasing so the game developers have plenty of time to get the many patches released.

Yes, this isn't how it should be but it is how it is. There is little point in dreaming otherwise.

19. Daegan

Daegan Chieftain

I don't wish for it's demise, but I'll be waiting for improvements before I begin another game. I share some of the above posters' concerns that the game may be too fundamentally off target to ever be half the game I was hoping for. We'll see.

My wife bought me this as a Christmas present, and after constant hints that I couldn't wait to play, she gave it to me early. Now she wonders why I don't play it. It doesn't even feel like part of the same franchise in it's current state.

Very disappointing to me personally, but I'll hold onto some hope that patches/ mods make it fun ( I was going to say 'more fun' but that doesn't seem as accurate. )

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

If Shafer 5 fails then it fails.

If that means no Civilization 6 then so be it.

It's a shame but eventually a new game company with vision will step up and fill the void.