To which Vanilla Civs would you give an extra Alt Leader?

Select up to four

• America (1.5)

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Arabia

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Aztec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brazil

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • China (2)

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Egypt

Votes: 53 67.1%
  • England (2)

• France (2.5)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Germany

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • Greece (2)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • India (2)

• Japan

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Kongo

• Norway

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Rome

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Russia

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Scythia

• Spain

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Sumeria

• Total voters

AntSou

Deity
If you were given the option of up to four new Alt Leaders for Civilization 6 in future Non-NFP content, which Civs would you rather have represented?

It's too late for this to affect Civ 6's production. If Firaxis has plans to release Alt Leaders for Civ 6, they already are... well, planned. So the purpose is just to weight Civfanatics preferences.

All Vanilla Civs added, including those which already have alts (+1) and personas (+0.5). Select up to four and comment on which alts you'd like to see.

Egypt: Hatsepshut or Rameses II

Germany: Otto von Bismarck

Greece: Epaminondas

Russia: Catherine the Great

They could release an entire expansion purely composed of alternate Rome leaders, as the history related to some emperors could easily be transferred into new and refreshing gameplay styles for the simplest civ in the game. Rome's kinda boring and I feel they could use it. Leave Trajan there- we still want our noob-friendly introduction leader- but then introduce more complex leaders that give the civ different strengths and provide a more interesting experience.

(And while I, slightly biased, would prefer more Greece, I understand we have more than enough Greek representation as is, so I didn't vote for it)

Germany: Old Fritz, or an emperor that has a different focus than military.

Egypt: Akhenaten

Russia: Catherine the Great. Or so. Something different than Peter as least. :D

Spain: Isabella comes to mind, but she has been kinda done so often. Explorer-focus would be nice though.

Arabia - Umayyad Caliphate representative, but with a Berber unit?
Egypt - Ancient Egypt representative.
Russia - Catherine
Japan - Meiji

I selected Germany at first, but I think rather than a modern alt leader for Germany, I'd actually prefer a Bohemian representative with its own civ.

They could release an entire expansion purely composed of alternate Rome leaders

Civilization Seven Hills of Rome

Egypt - Hatshepsut or Ramesses II

Germany - Otto von Bismarck

Rome - Augustus

Russia - Ivan IV

Last edited:
I initially said Russia since that would be interesting from a historical perspective, but I don’t think it would work well from a gameplay perspective - Russia’s civ bonus and the Lavra are their key aspects, so an alternate leader wouldn’t really feel all that different (and would probably need to be similarly underpowered to be at all balanced).

Civs I voted
Arabia: Saladin isn't even Arabic, so an actually Arab leader would be a nice addition. Umayyad/Abbasid caliphs are available.
Germany: the identity of Germany civ itself is debatable, can a significant leader of some parts of Germany that is not Brandenburg/Prussia be a leader?
Japan: Yamato/Yamatai leader, or the usual Sengoku/Edo leader, are available.
Rome: Plenty, including the Roman Republic leaders.

Opinion on civs i won't vote
Aztec, Brazil, Kongo, Scythia, Sumeria: with my little knowledge, I cannot seem to think of another significant leader for them (unless the alt leader for Montezuma is Montezuma, then we can talk)
Norway, Spain: again with my little knowledge, all available choices does not seem to be different enough in what the civ would do

Arabia - Umayyad Caliphate representative, but with a Berber unit?
Egypt - Ancient Egypt representative.
Russia - Catherine
Japan - Meiji

I selected Germany at first, but I think rather than a modern alt leader for Germany, I'd actually prefer a Bohemian representative with its own civ.

Civilization Seven Hills of Rome
100% on board for Bohemia

I voted for Germany, Russia, Japan and Egypt. I did not have specific leaders in mind but some ideas in which direction they could go.

Germany - Less war focussed and instead with trade related bonus. Germany already has the Hansa as UU which encourages to build commercial hubs anyway so why not get a leader with a bonus to international trade routes? This leader could also be double leader for Germany and Prussia, Bohemia or Austria.
Russia - A more war focussed leader.
Japan - Less warfocussed leader. Instead someone which has cultural/infrastucture/science based bonusses.
Egypt - Something war focussed again.

Russia - Ivan IV The Terrible

Egypt: I will happily have any male or female Pharaoh from the Ancient era

Germany: Frederick the Great or similar leader with a Cultural tendency, please no leaders from the 1850s-present

Spain: bring back Isabella!

USA: I would like to see a science-y American leader, whether Jefferson or Kennedy

Last edited:
Arabia- Personally I wouldn’t mind if Harun al Rashid acquired Saladin’s ability now that way Saladin could get another ability centered around holy wars.

Egypt- I like Cleopatra but Ancient Egypt has had so many rulers that they should get another.

Germany- I doubt Austria is coming but Maria Theresa could make sense for a German leader right?:mischief:

Russia- It probably wouldn’t work but I wouldn’t mind seeing Lenin leading Russia.

Honorable mention to France- even though I would like Louis XIV, it isn't happening now with two leaders and another persona.

Egypt: Hatshepsut should have been the original female choice instead of the Hellenistic Cleopatra, so she's my pick for Egypt.

Rome: Constantine the Great would be an awesome choice; some combination of religious & economic gameplay, methinks. Plus, he could easily be a dual leader for Byzantium, too.

Russia:
I wouldn’t mind seeing Lenin leading Russia.
Just ... no. That man was responsible for the deaths of millions, and indirectly tens of millions. As someone with Polish ancestry, the thought of a leader representing Communist Russia sickens me.

The obvious choice for alternate Russia is Catherine, as she ticks the dev's key boxes of (i.) a big personality, and (ii.) female representation.

Russia- It probably wouldn’t work but I wouldn’t mind seeing Lenin leading Russia.
Russia:
Just ... no. That man was responsible for the deaths of millions, and indirectly tens of millions. As someone with Polish ancestry, the thought of a leader representing Communist Russia sickens me.
Are you talking about the Polish intervention in 1919-1921? Or about those who had the inscription "Gott mit uns" on the buckles? Or about another myth without proof? Friend, well, this is a lie ...

In fact, Lenin was not the head of state in the usual sense of the word. And he was a revolutionary, theorist of Marxism, who laid the foundation for the future state. Direct follower - you know who :)

I can sense this thread is going to veer off topic in a nasty direction so I'm gonna say something pertaining directly to the subject of the thread to stop us from getting wrapped up in a disagreement.

As much as I think China should get another leader, it's a shame that we're probably never going to get one, considering we have both Qin and Kublai. Shame too, as I feel like China could have been taken in a lot of different directions with alternative leaders, judging by its long, long history. Something to give the Civ a really new playstyle, rather than just some timing eurekas and inspirations...

I can sense this thread is going to veer off topic in a nasty direction so I'm gonna say something pertaining directly to the subject of the thread to stop us from getting wrapped up in a disagreement.

As much as I think China should get another leader, it's a shame that we're probably never going to get one, considering we have both Qin and Kublai. Shame too, as I feel like China could have been taken in a lot of different directions with alternative leaders, judging by its long, long history. Something to give the Civ a really new playstyle, rather than just some timing eurekas and inspirations...
Cao Cao, Cixi, Liu Bei, Kangxi, Taizong, etc.

Top Bottom