Today I Learned #4: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
The question remains. Why?

Joe Biden’s middle name is Robinette.

Joe and the Robinettes sounds like a sixties band name, or Robinettes could be something found in a theater concession stand.

Let’s all go to the Senate
And vote ourselves a raise

This undated photo issued on Thursday Nov. 25, 2021 by the University of Leicester Archaeological Services shows a Roman mosaic unique to Britain and depicting one of the most famous battles of the Trojan War. Nearly a decade on from uncovering the remains of King Richard III under a car park near Leicester Cathedral, the university's archaeological team have unearthed a Roman mosaic featuring the great Greek hero of Achilles in battle with Hector during the Trojan War — this time in a farmer's field in Rutland, England. (University of Leicester Archaeological Services via AP)

The total length of fungal mycelium in the top 10cm of soil is more than 450 quadrillion km: about half the width of our galaxy.

Also good for global warming.

There was probably such a need for it around 1230, that the index was invented separately in Oxford and Paris.
The Parisian variant was a concordance index, one that showed where every word in a book was located.
The Oxford index listed topics and the book and/or the pages on which they could be found.

(A little anecdote to make you the darling of the cocktail parties you'll be attending around Christmas...
In the index of one of his books, William F. Buckley Jr. included an item for Mailer, Norman which just had the word "Hi."
He assumed that Mailer was such a narcissist that he would immediately turn to the index to see if he was listed.)

https://www.abc.net.au/radionationa...ve/a-brief-history-of-the-book-index/13663002

Americans have a thing about keeping animals in the bath:

Arizona:
• Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.
Arkansas:
• Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.
Georgia:
• Donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.
New York:
• Donkeys are not allowed to sleep in bathtubs in Brooklyn, N.Y.
South Carolina:
• Horses may not be kept in bathtubs.

I once had a book which collated a whole bunch of such strange US State laws -- called, coincidentally, "Donkeys Can't Sleep in Bathtubs".

Unfortunately I can't find it right now (but I'm sure I didn't throw it out), and I can't remember who put it together.

YIL that a second is 1/60 of an hour.

It's in the newest version of the math portion of the daft curriculum, so it must be true.

Top Bottom