1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tokugawa: Blood and Fire

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by VegitaU, Jun 20, 2007.

1. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

Tokugawa: Blood and Fire

Dramatis Personæ

Izanagi: The late father of Emperor Tokugawa
    Tokugawa: Emperor of Japan
    Jurojin: A poor soldier in the Imperial Army
    Sado Takeaki: Leader of the Japanese Military
    Kanagawa: Sado's personal clerk
    Dairoku: Japanese Aide-de-camp
    Takagi: Another poor soldier in the Imperial Army and friend of Jurojin
    Mikawa: An officer in the Imperial Army
    Tojo: High-grade officer in the Imperial Army
    Sayako: Young nurse
    Shimazu: Non-commissioned officer in the Imperial Army
    —————
    Montezuma: Aztec Emperor
    Tizoc: Leader of the Aztec Military
    —————
    Huayna Capac: Inca Emperor
    Atahualpa: Leader of the Inca Military

It is written on ancient parchments, now laying in dark, dank library basements or on dusty little-perused shelves, that the Japanese people emerged as the dominant tribe out of hundreds of other nomads to establish a permanent civilization. Some say, however, that the Japanese people were really descendants of angels, divine beings that came from heaven to strike down lesser mortals for sins. Most, however, believed quite the opposite. Japan was a nation of demons that rose from the underworld to terrorize the innocent and consume the living.

Whatever the truth may be, this is the story of the nation that can never be forgotten: Japan. This is the story of the people that forged a mighty empire through war and butchered their name permanently into history. This is the story of Tokugawa, the Great Emperor of Japan.

What is known for sure is that Tokugawa was the only son of Izanagi, the tribal chieftain that had settled his people on the shores of the Sumida River. There, they settled in a place called Kyoto and began a civilized life of cultivation and practical studies. Particularly, Izanagi was interested in new forms of warfare. For eons beyond remembrance, his people had clubbed each other to settle disputes like wild animals. Izanagi had a different vision for Japan: a nation of refined tactics and artful warriors.

Unfortunately, Izanagi died mysteriously, leaving his 17 year-old son, Tokugawa to carry on his vision. "Lead so that all may remember Japan," were his last words to his son. Tokugawa would forever be haunted and obsessed by them as he struggled to fulfill his father's vision.

Kyoto grew slowly. Not long before, the Japanese had been primitive people eating wild grains and grasses that grew in the forests and fields of the world. Now, Tokugawa set his sights on cultivating fields and taming the chaotic uncertainties of nature. Agriculture was established and fields were sown up and down the Sumida River. The rustic warriors Tokugawa had were sent across the lands to begin exploring and conquering the surrounding areas.

2. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

SOUTHWEST OF KYOTO
    Jurojin stood, mouth agape, while his fellow soldiers walked on. He didn't notice when his sergeant came behind him.

"Jurojin!" he called. "Why are you just standing there? Our regiment is moving out; we have orders to deploy south. What are you looking at?"

"Those mountains sir... I've never seen anything like them. They're huge! I didn't know places like these existed."

"That's exactly why were moving out. Our Blessed Emperor, Tokugawa, wants our regiment to explore the places of the world and establish the Japanese name to the far corners of the land... or did you forget why you enlisted?"

Jurojin shook his head. "No, no. It's not that. I'm fully behind the emperor, you know that, sir. But, I really enlisted to be able to see things like these."

"Watch what you say, Jurojin!" the sergeant scolded. "We serve the emperor's dreams first and then tend to our own. I'm glad you find the sights pleasant, but never forget that our country comes first."

"Of course. I never meant anything seditious."

A messenger came running up the ranks as Jurojin and the sergeant stood talking. "Sir! Sir! I've scouted ahead and found a small nomadic village over mountain. I haven't spotted any defenses or sentries. We should be able to easily take the village and assimilate or destroy them."

"All right, thank you, scout. Let's go Jurojin... here's your chance to prove your loyalty to the emperor. Move out!"

Jurojin rejoined his ranks and moved over the mountain, Hakkai as it would later be known, to subdue the villagers. The peasants offered no resistance; instead, more than happy to join the Japanese ranks. Their village, Osaka, as it was renamed became the second Japanese town.

KYOTO
    General Sado entered Tokugawa's palace antechamber. It was unimpressive. A few simple tapestries hung on the bare stone walls. Besides them, there was little else decorating the room. The palace itself was not much more decorative. A few tribal sculptures and weavings from the Old Years of nomadic life. As he waited, General Sado began looking closer at one of the tapestries. It had been woven recently; the colors were still brilliantly crisp. It was titled Death of Izanagi and depicted the late chieftain on his deathbed surrounded by his council members with his son knelt at his side. Above, clouds were breaking and in the sunbeams shining down angels were descending to carry his soul away.

The throne-room doors cracked open. The general spun around to see a slave greet him with a low bow. "General Sado, the emperor awaits..."

At the far end of the room, sitting on a wooden throne laced in silk was The Blessed One; Emperor of All Under the Stars; Tokugawa.

General Sado moved forward, his steps echoing through the chamber. At a marked point, he stopped and prostrated himself before the throne. "General Sado, to do as you command, emperor," he said.

"Rise, general," the emperor spoke. "I summoned you here to congratulate you on the subjugation of the southern village of Osaka. I now have a new task for you." He signaled to a slave. The man walked to the general and handed him a scroll. "You are to send your regiment north to continue exploring these lands and assimilate whatever tribes you may come against. If they resist, your orders are to destroy them. I know there a barbarian wretches living in the Old Ways of the wild. Ferocious creatures also roam the country. Once you leave our small borders, we can no longer protect you. Never forget the glory of Japan is your main task."

"Never will I forget your words, emperor," the general said with a bow. "As you command, so shall I now bring to realization. With your leave, I now return to my regiment. We set out immediately."

The emperor nodded and General Sado left. His regiment was already refitting for another deployment. He was no sooner in camp before the regiment was moving again to the north. They crossed the Sumida River and moved through the Kurokawa Forest before entering the unknown northern territories. Here, the forest cleared away to a grassland prairie. The regiment continued north, as ordered, and met with a tribe on the shores of the sea. General Sado peacefully negotiated their surrender and Tokyo, their home, became the third town of the Early Japanese Empire.

Excited by these events, Tokugawa sent scouts to chart the rest of the world and help spread the word of Japanese supremacy. Soon they discovered the empire was situated on a peninsula. The Izu Peninsula, as Tokugawa proclaimed it, was now about half-conquered by Japan and the remaining wilderness was only waiting to be civilized.

To the south, scouts encountered a massive sweltering land of jungle and rivers periodically interrupted by large, solitary mountain peaks. Tokugawa dubbed the malaria-infested land, the Great Titan Jungle, and viewed it as impassible and undesirable... for the time being.

3. e350tb

e350tb Stupendously Illogical Englishman

Wow. That's all I can say.

4. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

VERY nice story - keep it up!
    (Btw: What difficulty is being played? 2 settlers popping from villages is rare - unless playing settler or Chieftan)

5. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

Thanks for the compliments... glad you're enjoying it.

Forgot to add this at the beginning. I haven't played Civ4 that much, so I'll try and be as clear as possible. The game is:

* A "Play Now" game
    * The third difficulty level; (so not very hard at all)
    * Pangaea
    * Tropical climate
    * Medium sea levels, I think
    * Marathon game speed
    * Huge game size

I forget the rest...

6. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

General Sado Takeaki.

He was born in the Old Years, the son a Japanese tribesman warrior. Raised to follow his father's path, much like the emperor, he demonstrated notable combat talent and an ability to lead simple tactical engagements. These were mostly undertaken against herds the tribe were following or enemy barbarian scout parties. These were the times before any actual military strategy was taught; warriors simply imitated the tactics of their predecessors to achieve an objective. As an effective leader, especially against barbarians, Sado became a prominent adviser to the chieftain, Izanagi. Eventually rising to the newly invented rank of general, Sado commanded all military forces, meaning anyone that the chieftain decreed would fight. When Izanagi decided to end the nomadic life, General Sado was placed in charge of professionalizing the bands of fighters into an organized national army. With the chieftain's death and the succession of Emperor Tokugawa, he was instructed to begin conquering all neighboring territories, destroy remaining barbarian tribes, and spread a uniform Japanese culture throughout the world by whatever means necessary.

With the successful assimilation of the two neighboring tribes of Osaka and Tokyo, additional young men were recruited into General Sado's army. Settlers too were ordered to leave Kyoto and begin constructing new settlements across the Izu Peninsula. Time passed and soon Edo and Satsuma were established on the western coast. With the western end firmly under control, the emperor set out to conquer the east. Playa de Oro was established south of Kyoto, Deep Creek Lake to the east on the shores of a small pond, and Copper Ridge further northeast. Problems, however, began to strike the newly expanded territories...

PLAYA DE ORO - A few months after founding

"General Sado," a clerk said, "I've brought the messenger reports from our outer scouting parties."

"Very good, thank you."

"Will there be anything else, sir?"

"No, no. Actually, I think you can call it a day now. Thanks for your help."

"Of course, sir," the clerk said with a bow. "Thank you. Actually, I think I'll meet with my wife early today; maybe go down to the beach."

"That sounds excellent." The clerk left and General Sado opened the report. He was unconcerned. His men had recently completed the conquest of half the Izu Peninsula and the general had been feeling quite content. In a few years, he was sure, the empire would completely dominate these lands and could begin taming the Titan Jungle. He began reading: "To the General of the Army, Sado Takeaki from Scouting Platoon Commander Lieutenant Gendo:

"Sir, on our deployment south into the Titan Jungle we have encountered a barbarian regiment on quick-march north toward Playa de Oro. We are, of course, incapable of stopping such a large force, but are relaying this information with the hope that you will have the necessary time to raise the forces to route the advance into our lands."

My God!

The empire had expanded so rapidly, no thought had been given to defensive forces in the newer cities. Kyoto, of course, had defensive regiments, including troops armed with a new technology: a composite bow. These "archers" as they were called, were a supreme leap forward in defensive force... but none of that mattered. Here, in the new town, there were no defenses to counter an entire regiment of wild tribesmen.

General Sado ran out of his office after his clerk. "Kanagawa! Kanagawa!"

He met the startled clerk heading for the beach. "Kanagawa! We have an emergency! You must head for Kyoto immediately! Meet with the Imperial Aide-de-Camp at our barracks in the city. You must tell him that emergency forces are needed here!"

"What is it, sir? What's going on?"

The general looked around for any eavesdroppers. "There is a barbarian regiment bearing down on us! They may bypass the city, but a scouting party reported them driving northward to us."

"Well then, we have to evacuate, sir! I have to get my wife-"

"Kanagawa! Your duty is to your empire and at this moment, to this city! Take this report and head for Kyoto as fast as you can! I will remain behind to organize things here. Go. Now!"

"Y-Yes, sir!"

KYOTO - OFFICE OF THE AIDE-DE-CAMP

"General Dairoku," Kanagawa cried, entering the modestly decorated office. "I have a matter of the highest urgency on behalf of General Sado in Playa de Oro. A barbarian regiment heads for the defenseless town. The general has stayed behind to try and raise some sort of a defense, but he requests your aid in conscripting a stronger formation."

"How far away were the barbarians from the city?"

"I am not sure. An outgoing scouting party spotted them not too long after they left, so they must not be far by now."

"Then a defensive regiment won't do. We have to assume the barbarians have assaulted the town by now. We need to raise a force to retake Playa de Oro. I'm not sure if you've heard, yet... we have found a pasture of horses in the fields not far from here. Our tactical advisers have devised a new way of harnessing these beasts in battle: the chariot. We shall raise a force of charioteers and advance toward the city."

PLAYA DE ORO - City center

"Don't let them break through!" General Sado ordered the men. Another wave of club-wielding savages came forward down the streets. The outskirts of the city had been taken and were aflame. Some citizens had not managed to flee to the center or had tried unsuccessfully to break through the siege. The surviving men had routed a complete takeover of the city and blockaded a small part of the city-center as part of a resistance. The city capitol flew a barbarian flag, but the surviving people, convinced the emperor would be sending help, had vowed not to yield.

The wave of men crashed into the carts and tables and rubble the populace had piled in the streets. The men wielding pitchforks and the clubs of the fallen struck back in a fury. General Sado personally grabbed a scythe and charged in to the line, hacking away until the barbarians withdrew to reassemble...

NORTH OF PLAYA DE ORO - A week later

The necessary force had finally been assembled and driven at breakneck speed to the town in crisis. However, the troops were untested while the barbarians had been fighting their style of warfare for ages. The new chariot technology and drafted tactics would be the deciding factor here.

Kanagawa was assembled in the front ranks, riding with General Dairoku. They had not even reached the outlying areas before they saw the columns of black smoke rising from the city. Kanagawa felt a paralyzing chill seize his heart. He felt the last wisps of hope for his wife leave him and his knees about to give way. The city was lost, he was sure, and the barbarians had butchered the populace. His spirit sank and he gripped the side of the chariot as he rode, leaning over the side in misery.

Suddenly, a commotion arose from the rear ranks. Kanagawa turned to face the chatter, but the chariots, riding hard, had kicked up a curtain of dust in their wake. The clamor continued building, closer and closer, until it was a roar, just behind the cloud. Just then, a silhouette darkened in the dust and broke through, riding forward. It was a large chariot riding to the forward ranks... leading it was the emperor himself!

Lord Tokugawa gripped the reins in one hand and in the order, a bronze spear, eight feet long. His surprise presence leading the first true offensive battle was a major shock to everyone and uplifted the sunk morale in an instant. Kanagawa regained his bearings and watched the emperor, stoic and unmoved by the cheering, reach the head of the regiment. In the distance, the smouldering outskirts of the town came into view. Barbarians looked uneasy as the roaring charioteers fanned out in formation to charge. When the ranks had assembled along a broad front, the emperor lowered spear to point out at the enemy, turned to the men, and gave the command to charge...

7. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

PLAYA DE ORO

General Sado was inspecting the resistance line in the city. So many of the townpeople had died by now that buildings had been turned into grotesque morgues with bodies piled like goods, one on top of the other. He now only manned a small garrison of men in the tiny enclave still standing within the center. If that broke, the families that taken refuge here would be overrun.

The general was expecting an attack, but the barbarians had turned away toward the outskirts a few hours before. He could not see them from his position, but slight sounds of commotion began to drift over to him from far away: the sounds of scuffling and horses. Every once in a while, he would hear a clang of metal and a quiet shout. This distant ruckus reached a pitch and subsequently subsided before silencing altogether.

Curious, General Sado clambered over the defensive positions in a cautious crawl to a better vantage point. He began to hear horses neighing and galloping his way. He knew the barbarians were no horsemen. Turning a corner, he was nearly flattened when he saw it—Emperor Tokugawa, spattered with blood, riding in a fury, broken spear in hand, on a decorated chariot. The emperor wheeled around in front of the general and dismounted. A crowd of townspeople had gathered behind the general. Suddenly, everyone prostrated themselves in the Blessed One's presence.

"Rise, good brothers!" he called. "You have fought tenaciously! I came to save you, but it appears you did not need salvation."

The general rose from the ground, but remained kneeling in humility. "Forgive me, Lord," he cried. "I was not able to stave off the barbarians from our city."

"Worry not, great general, for as long as there is resistance in the city, she is not lost. It is my fault I could not provide you an adequate defense from the beginning. I vow that no other Japanese city will be taken so long as I lead! We will expand beyond the Izu Peninsula and begin conquering every land under the sun."

And so were the barbarians destroyed and the city saved. A new determination overcame the empire. Tokugawa was now fixed on dominion over all the world. He now set his sights on expanding south into the Titan Jungle. He established a frontier settlement called Belem on the northern fringes of the jungle. There, a challenger would appear.

Years had passed since the Fall of Playa de Oro. Bronze, a new metal, was finally able to be worked en masse and used to cut down the Kurokawa Forest standing in the way of economic expansion. The countryside began to be mined, but a new problem in the way of Tokugawa's hopes emerged... bronze axes were sufficient for the soft poplar trees of the Kurokawa Forest, but for the thick behemoths growing in the Titan Jungle, something else was required. This left, for all sensible purposes, the jungle still impenetrable to expansion.

In fact, an eastern pocket of the Izu Peninsula (along the Suruga Bay) was still unclaimed because an offshoot of jungle grew along the coast. These Suruga Bay Neutral Lands were a dangerous liability to the empire... an untamed pocket so close to the homelands—it invited foreign tribes to establish a foothold there. It was not long before one tribe tried such a thing.

BELEM

General Sado and Kanagawa walked quickly toward the city capitol. Thankfully, the clerk's wife had been saved during the Fall of Playa de Oro... otherwise, he would not still be by his general's side.

"What does he call himself?" the General asked, confused and exhausted by his long ride to the city.

"An Aztec, sir. Apparently a foreign tribe... or nation, if I may use the term roughly."

"Aztecs, eh?... Yes, I believe I remember reading a scouting report some years ago outlining various organized tribes they had encountered along the way. I do believe the Aztecs were on that report. But, so what? Why would I be sent to deal with them?"

"They have established a village or town of some sort just south of here... let me see if I can pronounce it... Texcoco. Our latest reports indicate that they wish to expand further north, possibly into the Neutral Lands."

"All right, let me talk with him."

The two finally arrived at the capitol. It was crude—a wooden building just two stories tall overlooking the central plaza. In fact, thought the general, this whole city is crude.

Belem had been carved out of the northwestern edge of the Titan Jungle along the rough shores of the Toyama Bay. The mosquito-ridden wilderness just outside the city and year-around humidity made for a horrible experience. Especially for someone so used to the temperate summers of the north.

Sado and Kanagawa entered the governor's office. There was a young man, dressed (barely) in some foreign tribal attire. His skin was bronzed from a life spent out in the sun and patches were coated in a peculiar paint. He rose and spoke, "Good afternoon, gentlemen!"

"Good afternoon," the general responded. "We are honored to have a foreign dignitary in our presence. How may we help you?"

"Sirs, as our nation, the Aztec Empire, grows we wish to extend assurances of peace to our neighbors."

"We appreciate this," Kanagawa said, interjecting with a scouting report in hand, "but our latest reports indicate a sizable force moving north toward the Izu Peninsula. You assure us of peace, but please explain this act."

The aztec laughed quietly. "Ah, yes, our intelligence has indicated that the lands around the... uh, Suruga Bay, as you call it, are unclaimed. Our leader, Montezuma, wishes it for himself. Once we are able to develop the land in this area, they will be some of the most productive on Earth."

"There is something your intelligence overlooked," General Sado spoke. "Those lands have been proclaimed to be for Japan. Our emperor has made this distinction clear."

"Yes, well, your emperor cannot claim lands with words, but with cities and armies. I think he will see our point of view once we have established ourselves there."

"I will relay what you say, but I doubt he will compromise."

"I hear he is a great warrior... that he led an attack on a barbarian regiment. Please, give him this." The Aztec handed a small white knife over to the general. "A knife fashioned from a jaguar bone. Montezuma wishes that he have it."

"Very well. Thank you for your visit."

The Aztec stood. "I hope we may remain amicable nations into the future."

A few weeks later, the Aztec force had encamped itself near the tip of Suruga Bay and established the settlement of Xochicalco... the emperor knew it was time for war...

8. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

KYOTO

General Sado and General Dairoku sat down at a long table in the Imperial Throneroom. Seated alongside the two were various officials from the military, treasury, and foreign departments. At the head, dressed in a traditional hakama, was the emperor, overseeing the First Japanese War-Council.

The Blessed One began, "I have called you here, gentlemen, because I have decided that a full-scale war will be necessary to stem the potential threat that the Aztec nation poses against our homelands. Although authority to go to war is mine alone, I wished to share with you, my closest compatriots, my thoughts on exactly why I have deemed this necessary. As emperor, my responsibility is to the people of Japan in ensuring their eternal safety and prosperity. Our failure to close the Suruga Bay Neutral Lands gap has left this nation in a position too vulnerable to tolerate. Even though General Sado attempted to diplomatically convince the Aztecs not to enter those forbidden lands, one could not expect that their brutish, unenlightened culture could possibly respect Japanese sovereignty... General Sado, let this be your lesson: the nations of this world will never understand or respect Japanese authority. Ever they sneak and connive in dark places to plan our destruction. Those not of Japanese origin are usurpers; arrogates that deserve nothing but complete assimilation and reeducation or death. Never trust foreigners, General Sado."

"Forgive me, Lord," the general responded. "I only meant to try to solve the problem with the least amount of antagonism. I realize this effort was a failure and appreciate those wise words you speak."

"So, gentlemen... where does this leave us? Montezuma has invaded my destined territory; he has chosen war and we must go to see that he receives it, brutally and righteously... General Dairoku, I entrusted you a few weeks before to draft a plan for the invasion of the Aztec territories. Please present your findings before us."

"Of course, Blessed One," General Dairoku said, pulling out a detailed map of the Belem area. "This is OPERATION MALINCHE. It outlines the preliminary phases of our coming war. As you know, gentlemen, we have discovered a way to smelt that strange metal, iron. We are producing a finer weapon for our infantry. No longer bound by soft bronze, new recruits are being issued iron swords. These new weapons are unlike anything we have ever held. A weapon capable of massive blows and able to undergo the stresses of war without degrading. With this, we no longer need to rely on crude chariot power. Infantrymen can wield these new blades in ranks and hack the enemy down without regard for metallurgic failure... ah, meaning their weapons wont break mid-battle. You remember during the Fall of Playa de Oro, how the emperor's spear broke? Such things are past!"

General Sado now spoke, "These new weapons are impressive, but please enlighten us as to the actual battle plans, Dairoku."

"Of course, general. OPERATION MALINCHE involves a force of over eight swordsman regiments."

A rumble of surprise overcame the men at the table. "Eight regiments!" one of the treasury officials cried. "We have never had such an army! How can we coordinate those kind of logistics?"

"This is Japan, sir," General Dairoku continued. "We will do what we must to ensure victory. But as I was saying, this force will be split into a southern and northern army group. The Southern Army Group will assemble on the southern border and, when the order is given, will press southward toward the town of Texcoco. I do not foresee any serious resistance from these people. I would remind the council that our enemies do not possess the knowledge of iron and are not expecting such a massive attack. General Sado will be leading this thrust southward. As we do not have any reliable maps of Aztec settlements, we will have to rely on forward-scouts and infrastructures such as roads to reveal their positions as we advance. The jungle will our troops good defensive cover, but will provide the enemy with equal comfort. Therefore, our objectives must be to strike settlements, and not worry about minor regiments patrolling the jungles. We must continue southward and hit their capital, Tenochtitlan."

"And what of Northern Army Group?"

"I will command the northern group. My men and I will be responsible for clearing the Aztecs from the northern shores of Suruga Bay. When this has been accomplished, we will wheel southward to meet General Sado's group. It is my hope that we can destroy the Aztec power quickly, assimilate the people, and establish a firm dominion over that damned jungle. The workforce we capture from the Aztecs will help turn that verdant disease into a prosperous breadbasket."

"And what of the leader, this... Montezuma?"

The emperor interjected, "I will deal personally with him. He presented me with a jaguar-bone knife. I would very much like to return it to him."

"Very well, my Lord. Are there any other questions?"

Everyone was satisfied and silent. "Begin recruiting the necessary forces. When our regiments are in place, I shall issue the declaration."

BELEM

Jurojin, the young warrior that had served in the first imperial regiment was now a swordsman heading south toward the border with the Aztec Empire.

"Why is the emperor sending us south?" he asked one of his friends. "Do you know anything I've missed?"

"Nothing," his friend, Takagi, responded. "I received the order while I was at Playa de Oro—'gather your equipment and deploy south with the regiment.' My unit was reassigned to something called the Northern Army Group. We're to assemble here in Belem and then head east, but I don't know why... What about you?"

"I got transferred to Southern Army Group. I'm just stopped here temporarily, but we'll be moving farther south anytime now."

Takagi frowned. "Farther south? There's nothing but jungle farther south."

"That's what I thought, but the emperor apparently has some plan in mind for us. Did you know we're meeting up with three other regiments... at least?"

"Yeah, I heard about that; me too. Four regiments in each army group. Maybe it's some large-scale exercise."

"Maybe, but you said you're going east. From what I've heard, my group will be going deep into the Titan Jungle... just wish they'd tell me why."

"You'll find out eventually, Jurojin."

Jurojin's regiment commander appeared. "Jurojin," he said, "the regiment is pulling out now. Say goodbye and assemble at the southern end of the city. Tell anyone in your unit you meet along the way to do the same." the commander walked off down the street to find more members of his unit.

"Well, I guess that's that; I have to go now."

"All right, take care, Jurojin. I'll meet up with you when this is all over."

"Yeah..."

Jurojin met up with the regiment and began the march south. A few miles outside the city, the regiments halted to hear a briefing by the Army Group Commander, General Sado.

The general rode up to the formation on his horse. He began, "Men, I know you are confused as to why you are being deployed into the Titan Jungle. Some things have been kept secret for the good of the country, but the emperor now wishes that you know the full reason for our deployment. A few weeks ago, a foreign nation, the Aztecs, launched an expedition to colonize the Suruga Bay Neutral Lands... lands that the emperor has declared to be Japan's alone. For this, the emperor has decreed that the Aztec nation must be destroyed and its leadership deposed...

"We will be the spearheads of this war. Our objective is the Aztec town of Texcoco to the south. I do not expect heavy resistance, but I must warn you to be ready for combat. The emperor depends on our group and we must not let him down. This is no exercise... some of you may not be coming back. I need you all to prepare yourself. We are entering a new era in our history: the Era of Conquest... be ready!"

9. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

TENOCHTITLAN

It was morning when the rider finally entered the city. He had been riding for five days, seldom sleeping, pouring all his energy to get his important message to Montezuma. At the palace, the rider was halted at the gates by two guards.

"What business have you here?" an Aztec guard asked.

"I am an ambassador to the Emperor of Japan, Tokugawa. I am charged personally by him to deliver a message to your king, Montezuma."

The guards looked at each other. An ambassador had never come from Japan before. Looking at the rider, the guards could see he was fatigued. They knew he carried a critical message. One of them spoke, "Very well. Leave your horse here; we will escort you in."

After waiting several hours, he was finally granted a brief audience with Montezuma. The royal chamber was neatly decorated with bright tapestries, exotic decorations, and otherworldly sculptures... all attesting to Montezuma's divine heritage.

"Ah, welcome!" Montezuma greeted from his throne. "I hear the emperor has a message. Perhaps he realizes now that the Suruga Bay region is ours?"

The diplomat scoffed quietly, revealing a slight half-smile. "Perhaps not. This is a declaration of war between our two nations. Your empire will soon be assimilated into our own and your backwards culture forgotten!"

SOUTH OF BELEM, ON THE AZTEC BORDER

The time had finally come. General Sado knew the messenger had delivered the declaration by now. He called his men into formation. To the west rose the enormous Mount Oceanus, marking the southernmost border of Japan.

"The war has started, men! We cross the Aztec border now for the town of Texcoco. Believe in your training, your skills, and your officers to lead you through the coming battle... Let's go!"

The regiments marched down the hill they were encamped on and crossed the border into the Great Titan Jungle. Around them a cacophony of jungle noises rose up. Rarely seen birds now perched overhead, squawking in their nests. The sky closed up under a verdant canopy and everything became dark. The underbrush closed in and the steadily-moving regiments were slowed considerably. On the western end, Mount Oceanus receded sharply and gave way to Lake Texcoco, a large reservoir at the foot of the mountain. This was fed by the Tezcuco River that flowed past the town of Texcoco. All the regiments had to do was follow the river's path to lead them to their objective...

NORTHERN ARMY GROUP, EAST OF BELEM

The emperor had been planning this war for a very long time. For months, Japanese engineers had carved roads from Belem and Deep Creek Lake all the way to the Suruga Bay Neutral Lands. Tokugawa had foreseen the upcoming struggle and wanted his troops to be able to reach the front as quickly as possible. It was here, along the northern offshoots of the Titan Jungle, where Takagi, the young soldier friend of Jurojin, found himself.

The road ended abruptly within the jungle. Beyond lay the Aztec settlement of Xochicalco along the shores of the Suruga Bay. General Dairoku looked stoical. He spoke, "The Aztecs have encamped themselves on our promised lands. Our objective is to displace them and rout their armies. We proceed eastward..."

The ranks penetrated the tree-line and soon found themselves climbing higher. As they climbed, the air became cooler and the thick jungle growth thinned out into a hardwood forest. As the regiments crested the hill, the surrounding terrain came into view. To the east lay an expanse of grassy plains extending to the horizon. To the north, the western end of the Suruga bay jutted in. At the eastern base of the mountain along the shores of the bay was the small Aztec settlement.

General Dairoku overlooked the defenses. A solitary archer regiment was defending the town. Border scouts had almost certainly spotted them entering the jungle and climbing the hill, removing any chance of surprise attack, but the sheer number of swordsmen now camped on the hill would be the advantage here. Once the troops had assembled completely, the general formed them into combat formation and rode to the front.

He drew his sword, calling, "Remember these are our promised lands! Follow me into the city... spare none the sword!"

OUTSIDE TEXCOCO

Jurojin, marching in the leading ranks, finally broke through the jungle brush. Suddenly, he saw the city of Texcoco and the Tezcuco River flowing on the western end. Two hundred yards ahead, a line of archers formed up and readied their bows...

General Sado drew his sword and signaled the charge. Jurojin grabbed his steel and burst into a sprint toward the defenders. He would have to cross a clearing in order to reach the archers. Alongside him, his fellow swordsmen were running, letting out a battle cry...

A wave of arrows set forth toward them... Jurojin tried to shrink as small as he could while running. The arrows came silently gliding and showered the charging regiments. Cries of pain arose from behind as some were hit, but the numbers were too great to stop. One hundred yards left...

The archers fired another volley. This one flew quicker than the last and peppered more swordsmen to their deaths. Again, Jurojin had been spared. Fifty yards left...

The line of archers ahead grew more forbidding as the swordsmen approached. They threw down their bows and drew their short swords, readying themselves for the onslaught. Ten yards left...

Jurojin picked out his opponent and the two locked eyes. The archer braced himself, shifting his weight, and Jurojin raised his sword...

The two met with a clash, suddenly! The torrent of men behind Jurojin pushed him from behind, punching through the lines. Jurojin lost his opponent as he was swept forward and became lodged in a thicket of screaming troops. He was pushed from all sides and was too wedged in to swing his sword. Bringing it back down, he began stabbing all the opponents around him, clearing a space for his troops. An archer came forward with a short sword... Jurojin parried the attack and slashed at him, hewing the man at the chest.

He heard nothing but endless shouting as he slashed forward. A few of his comrades pushed forward alongside him to help out and the group began cutting to the rearguard. Another archer came forward, swinging his blade. Jurojin met his attack and expertly dodged his thrusts. Looking for his opportunity, he ducked a wild swing and stabbed upwards, killing his opponent. When he fell, Jurojin found himself on a street looking into the town. He had broken through the lines completely. He turned and saw the last of the archers being surrounded and cut down. General Sado was slashing and stabbing atop his horse, trampling as many of the enemy as he could.

The yelling died down and Jurojin realized the battle had exhausted him completely, though it took only a few minutes. General Sado rode forward and held up his sword, celebrating the victory! He unfurled a Japanese flag he was carrying and rode to the city center, erecting it on the flagpole. The soldiers spread out into the city, and began quelling the civilian revolts and panic that were beginning to rise. Japan had captured its first foreign city!

OUTSIDE XOCHICALCO

Takagi was descending rapidly. Behind him, an avalanche of troops were charging down the hill toward the city. General Dairoku was ahead, thundering forward on his horse. The ground leveled off and the forest cleared away gradually to a grassy plain. Ahead, archers began firing off arrows chaotically. Most landed too short of the advancing ranks or were deflected. A few hits were scored, but it was obvious that it made little difference. Takagi drew his blade as he approached the archers, now shaking in panic.

Suddenly, General Dairoku wheeled around parallel to the ranks shouting, "Organize your ranks! Spread out! I want my flanking battalions on their sides!"

The shoulder-to-shoulder charge thinned out and it became easier to move. Finally, the Japanese force reached the archer lines. With ample room to move, Takagi began swinging wildly, cleaving and hacking opponents left and right. The archer's blades were too short to counter the swinging distance of the Japanese swords. With the flanks enveloped, the defenders were doomed. It wasn't long before the Japanese had decimated the Aztec guard and taken the small settlement.

The small populace had joined in the fight and been killed off. The survivors were all put to the sword and General Dairoku ordered the town torched. With that, the Suruga Bay Neutral Lands were once again cleared. Now the regiment turned south back into the jungle to destroy the Aztec Empire...

10. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Keep it coming, this is awesome stuff!

Why keep Texcoco? It sucks!

11. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

BELEM

Captain Mikawa arrived late in the evening with his rearguard battalion. Word had spread quickly down the road and to the rest of the empire that the first two Aztec settlements had fallen. Generals Sado and Dairoku were being praised as heroes and the city of Belem was in full celebration of the victories. Captain Mikawa's battalion was part of a support force ordered in position between both army groups to form a solid front southward.

"Sir! Sir!" one of Mikawa's troops was calling. Mikawa turned; he was tired and heading for the barracks to sleep. "Can we head into town? They're giving away free drinks to servicemen! We didn't get a chance to celebrate back in Osaka, so can we go now?"

"Absolutely not," the captain groaned, tired. "The regiments move out at six tomorrow. I don't need a battalion of slobbering, hungover soldiers. People here are celebrating like we just won the war. We are far from the gates of Tenochtitlan and Montezuma's shock has worn off by now, I'm sure. Now, secure your gear, head to the mess hall if you're hungry, and get some sleep."

Captain Mikawa shuffled off to the officer's quarters and was gone. One of the spurned soldiers quipped bitterly, "Why the hell do we have that morose bastard in charge of us?"

Another soldier replied, "He's considered one of the top company-grade officers in the army. He's supposedly a clever tactician and leader."

The first soldier scoffed, "So he has no life."

TENOCHTITLAN

Nightfall came quickly to the Aztec capital. At the Imperial Palace, Montezuma was wide-awake, however. He was overlooking the city from his balcony, deep in thought.

Maybe harassing the Japanese was not the best move. I should have reinforced the northern border before staking a foothold there.

A knock came at his room door.

"Who is it?" the Aztec king asked.

"General Tizoc, excellency."

"Ah, come in, general."

General Tizoc entered with a grave look on his face. The last few days had been extremely hard for everyone in the Aztec leadership. Japan was driving south very quickly. Texcoco and Xochicalco had proven to be no obstacle at all to the Japanese forces. Even the Titan Jungle barely slowed the advancing forces. Matters were becoming critically serious. The next tier of Aztec cities were no border outposts. These were full-fledged imperial towns with nobility and high-value assets. If they fell, the empire would be doomed.

"Everything depends on the next battle, General Tizoc," the emperor began quietly. His energy had left him and the leader of the "Jaguar Nation" now looked ashen and quaky. He continued, "What are our forces doing to prepare for the next engagement?"

"I am mobilizing extra archer regiments northward and a force of chariots."

"I want you to speak frankly. What exactly are our chances against the Japanese?"

"Our empire is apparently not as advanced or uniform as theirs. They form and wield weapons and tools of an alien metal. Stronger than our bronze, they can cut down our fighters easily. I'm afraid all the chariots can do is maybe harass their supply lines. The reports that came to me from the Battle of Texcoco were not good at all. We cannot withstand the numbers reported. Four, five regiments at a time!"

The Aztec king thought for a second. He knew he could never match the forces Japan was throwing at him, but he had to ensure his survival at the least. While the ruler of the Aztecs survived there was hope... He spoke, "Send your archer and chariot regiments northward. They shall make their stand at Calixtlahuaca. I want you to raise additional forces, however, to garrison this city. If we can't stop the Japanese advance in the north, we can certainly make a strong defense here and force them to negotiate."

"You are saying that the cities in the north must be sacrificed?"

"I will not be deposed! I will not abdicate! I am the leader and I must survive for the nation to survive! Pull all newly recruited forces back to safeguard me. I am what Tokugawa wants and he would be insane to attack me. We will force them to negotiate and my nation will survive..."

BELEM

Captain Mikawa's battalion was the first in formation. The others, tired after a night of partying, formed up sloppily behind. Mikawa knew the march through Titan Jungle would be a taxing experience and was glad he had ordered his men to sleep. They were fresh and alert.

Soon, Belem was behind them and the regiments were moving steadily southeast through the jungle. To the west, Southern Army Group was mopping up the last civilian resistors in Texcoco and to the north, General Dairoku's Northern Army Group was clearing the charred ruins of former Aztec settlement. Mikawa's unit was now the active offensive force in the area, searching for Aztec positions. Soon, a forward scout came back, excited.

"Captain Mikawa! I have spotted a city up ahead. It lies at the foot of Mount Hyperion... an Aztec stronghold named Calixtlahuaca."

"Ah, excellent! My battalion shall lead the attack! Report your findings to the commanding officer and tell him my unit is foraging ahead—I can't wait for these dawdling drunkards to hold me back."

"Yes sir!" The scout receded through the slow-moving ranks.

"All right, 3rd Battalion! We're moving ahead—at the double march!"

The battalion detached from the lagging regiment and forged ahead through the jungle. It didn't take long before they arrived at the outskirts of the Aztec city. Two archer regiments had taken up position inside the city, horrified that the Japanese had arrived so swiftly in the vicinity.

"We should establish our position here and wait for the rest of the regiment," a lieutenant suggested.

"No, lieutenant," Mikawa said, "form up your company to attack. We have the element of surprise here and I'm not going to waste it."

The battalion was ready to charge in mere minutes. The line of archers were scrambling to position themselves when Captain Misawa gave the order to attack. The battalion lost few men to arrows and was soon in hand-to-hand combat across the northern edge of the city. The archers had recomposed themselves and were now ferociously defending their city. Mikawa's swordsmen held firm and their long blades became the deciding factor. The first regiment of archers were cut down before Mikawa gave the order to withdraw back to the jungle and await the remainder of the regiments. Even though the attack did not result in an entire breakthrough, the hit had crippled the city's defenses and the coming forces would doubtlessly crush them.

Another scout, investigating the surrounding terrain returned. "Sir, I've spotted a chariot regiment east of the city. They look like a possible Aztec offensive force."

"All right, thank you... Company commanders, you will assemble your men in fortified positions for an incoming attack. We will wait here for the rest of the regiments."

The troops dug in and the Siege of Calixtlahuaca began...

12. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

CALIXTLAHUACA

The panicked archers dropped their blades and attempted to flee through the ranks of Japanese swordsmen that had surrounded them. It was too late. Captain Mikawa moved his battalion forward against the attempted retreat and butchered every single Aztec warrior. With that, the Siege of Calixtlahuaca ended.

Brigadier Tojo, head of the regiments that had taken the city, stepped forward toward Mikawa.

"Company commanders, secure the city. I want all battalion commanders to fall in on me."

The troops headed into the city to eliminate any remaining enemy pockets while the battalion commanders, Mikawa included, formed up in front of the Brigadier.

"I want to congratulate you all on an excellent campaign so far. In especially, I want to recognize 3rd Battalion under the command of Captain Mikawa for their rapid deployment, attack, and then fortification of our position here. As you all know, the Aztec charioteers have been dissuaded from attacking our positions and have fled. Captain Mikawa, please step forward to be recognized."

The captain stepped out of formation and presented himself in front of the other commanders.

"For your bravery," Brigadier Tojo began, "in the face of superior enemy numbers and your successful engagement, and by the authority granted to me by the Ministry of War of the Empire of Japan, I hereby award you the Order of the Golden Kite and promote you two ranks to taisa, a full colonel. You will serve under me in command of 3rd Regiment as we continue our advance against the Aztecs."

The two exchanged salutes and entered the city.

ALONG THE SHORES OF THE TEZCUCO RIVER

General Sado's Army Group was in the thick of the Titan Jungle. It had been weeks since the Battle of Texcoco and Southern Army Group had been advancing deeper, following the Tezcuco River. So far, the army had seen nothing—it seemed they had marched through a void of wild jungle within the Aztec Empire. Soon, however, this changed.

"We're breaking through a tree-line ahead," one of the soldiers remarked. The regiments found themselves in a field of wild sugarcane. The grasses sighed and weaved in a soft breeze. In the distance, on the far side of the vast field, General Sado could see a stone tower. When the army had advanced further, he realized it formed the corner of a walled city.

"Regiment commanders, prepare your units to charge the city. We need some kind of engines to scale those walls. Have your men build ladders to scale the parapets. We attack tomorrow morning."

As the evening descended on the sugar-fields, the sounds of axes chipping away at trees filled the air. Through the night, the regiments quickly put together the rustic ladders necessary to break into the city. When morning came, the regiments formed up to attack...

Jurojin was now a Jōtōhei, or Superior Private, in the regiment to lead the attack. He nervously awaited the coming order, eying the men in front of him that were carrying his platoon's ladder. He would be one of the first up and over the wall into the city. His regiment would fight their way to the gate and open it for the rest of the army to come pouring through.

General Sado came riding to the front. "We are relying on you men. This will be our toughest battle yet. Cut your way to that gate, by whatever means necessary and the rest of the army will relieve you. Now, go, and fulfill the dreams of the emperor!"

The regiment commander saluted the general, drew his sword, and began the march across the sugar-cane fields toward the city. Archers were already formed on the walls, two ranks deep, ready to repulse the assault. When the troops were within five-hundred yards of the walls, the commander gave the order to charge and Jurojin, with his comrades, began sprinting toward the city.

The archers fired a uniform volley and many of the Japanese swordsmen fell dead. Jurojin continued his sprint amidst the yelling and chaos as more volleys hailed the troops. The men finally reached the base of the walls and began erecting their ladders. The Aztec archers fired down on them as they prepared to climb. Their small shields were difficult to manage going up the ladders. The leading soldier began climbing slowly with Jurojin and the rest of the element behind. He kept his shield in front as he slowly crept higher and higher. Arrows relentlessly peppered above and the shield began to look like a thicket of thin trees.

As they climbed, Jurojin looked left and right seeing the same scene playing out all along the wall. Dead soldiers were falling from their ladders like rain with the huddled masses at the bottom scrambling to take their place. Already, a grotesque mat of dead troops had formed on the ground like a new layer of sod. The unending screaming and panicked yelling was pierced frequently by the whistling of nearby arrows.

Finally, the leading soldier reached the top of the stairs, threw down his shield, and leapt over the parapet, sword in hand. Jurojin quickly scrambled up to join him. As he reached the top and peered over the side, an archer slashed the other soldier from behind. Jurojin drew his sword, standing on the upper rung and came forward into the mass of archers. He swung his sword back and forth, keeping the parapets behind him. An archer fell and another was left armless. Jurojin's comrades began pouring over the side to help him and had soon carved a small pocket around the ladder where they battled.

Too close for arrows, the archers exchanged sword blows with the Japanese troops. A minute passed and Jurojin's men were still holding their ground atop the wall. There was, unfortunately, nowhere to descend and enter the city. The leading staircase was further down from their position and they would have to fight to it, or wait for another unit to make it to the top.

Jurojin swung again, cleaving the side of one of the Aztecs. A soldier behind him, volunteered to relieve his position and Jurojin withdrew to try and see where the other units were at. To his horror, as he stood on top of the parapets looking down the wall, none of the units had successfully made it to the top. Some had reached the upper side of the wall, but were promptly cut down and thrown back over. Other ladders had been pushed back away from the walls, crushing the climbers and some troops below. Most were being peppered too heavily to do anything but huddle on the ground with their shields up. These archers were extremely disciplined and were fighting coolly and effectively.

The regiment commander on the ground, having suffered the virtual detruction of his unit, sounded a retreat. Shockingly, most of the mass of troops huddled on the ground were already dead. A few crawled out of the pile of corpses, dropping their shields, and retreated as quickly as they had charged. The commander waved to Jurojin and his men on the wall to fall back.

Suddenly, a mistake by one of Jurojin's fellow soldiers was taken advantage of, and the pocket on the wall broke, unleashing a torrent of Aztecs charging toward him. With his friends dead, Jurojin grabbed the ladder he's come up on, and leapt away and off the wall, swinging down into the dead bodies below. Two arrows followed him, hitting him in the leg behind the knee and in the back. Screaming in pain, his commander ran forward, grabbed him by the arms, and pulled him quickly off the battlefield. The Aztecs cheered as the last of the Japanese regiment crawled off.

INSIDE THE CITY, A WEEK LATER

Jurojin awoke slowly and sluggishly. He spent a minute trying to figure out where he was. Looking around, he finally realized it was a pastoral field hospital that had been set up by the army. There were simple beds for patients to rest and a storehouse of herbal remedies (knowledge left over from the Old Years). Here, Japanese civilians would follow the army in and volunteer to take care of the wounded troops.

A young lady walking down the aisles of occupied beds soon spotted he was awake and came forward.

"Ah! You're finally awake! You've been asleep for almost a week. They brought you in off the field from that first battle. How are you feeling, um..." the girl looked at the sign on the foot of his bed, "...Jurojin?"

He looked at her, still sleepy and weak. She wasn't older than him—he could tell. Her hair was jet black and held back in a bun behind her head. It was frizzy, as she had been working almost nonstop all week. She had brown eyes set in a pretty face. As she looked at him, she revealed a very slight smile curling into her soft cheeks. "How are you feeling, Jurojin?" she repeated.

"Uh... g-good... Thank you. Where am I? What happened?"

"You're in the Japanese Imperial Army Medical Detachment field hospital set up in Tlatelolco."

"In where?" Jurojin asked weakly.

"Tlatelolco. The city you were attacking."

"We took it?"

"Finally, yes. General Sado had the regiments build more protective siege towers to scale the walls. They weren't anything special... just the ladders your unit used, covered to prevent so many men from being hit by their arrows. We finally secured the city just yesterday and our medical unit moved here to set up."

Jurojin thought about this for a minute, letting the full weight of the situation sink in. Finally, he groaned, "Th-Thank you."

"Of course. You'll be here for a while as your wounds heal up. Thankfully, I think you'll make a full recovery."

"So what's happened while I've been asleep?"

"Well, um... let's see. I don't know if you've heard, but we took a city in the center of the jungle called Calixtlahuaca. Northern Army Group has turned south to keep pushing toward Tenochtitlan. General Sado is camped here at the moment while his regiments rest for the next campaign. It looks like we've broken through and captured a large part of the Aztec Empire. What's left is to finish off the enemy and end the war... Other than that, the emperor established a new town called Hill of Eden back home. He's hoping to close the Suruga Bay Neutral Lands from foreign settlers."

"I see..."

13. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

TLATELOLCO

Her name was Sayako. Jurojin was now able to get out of bed and walk on crutches. He enjoyed walking and talking with her in the field hospital. She was born right before Tokugawa's Coronation and the Creation of the Empire to one of the first farming families. When the war began, she left the fields of the Sumida River and became a nurse for the newly-formed medical detachment. She had seen her first patients at Texcoco, then followed Southern Army Group to Tlatelolco.

"So what do you want to do after the war?" she asked Jurojin.

"Well, I've been thinking of maybe traveling with diplomatic envoys. Or as a scout if we ever actually negotiate an open border treaty. What about you?"

"I don't know. I don't want to back to farming; but then again, we women don't really get to choose our paths. It all depends on who we marry."

Jurojin was silent for a minute. In all his time, he hadn't taken a moment to seriously ponder if or who he was going to marry. Now that his life had nearly ended, a new flame kindled inside him and he felt the growing void of loneliness. He wanted to be with Sayako and tell her about all the places he'd seen and the battles he's fought. He spoke, half-jokingly so as to not seem inappropriately forward, "Well, I hear that diplomatic envoys get to bring their families with them, so if I become one and we stick together you can come along."

She pleasantly laughed...

SOUTH OF CALIXTLAHUACA

Takagi had been marching south from the ruins of Xochicalco for over a month. His unit, the Northern Army Group under General Dairoku, had been too late to offer assistance during the Siege of Calixtlahuaca, but had been able to pass through the city, leaving their wounded, and continue further south without delay. As they passed Mount Hyperion, they noticed an abandoned road that had been under construction leading away from the city. As the army followed the road, the jungle cleared away and the climate cooled. The terrain rose up into hills and on the other side was another Aztec city: Teotihuacan.

Teotihuacan was a walled fortress situated between the hills and the southern-flowing Papato River. General Dairoku noticed two archer regiments perched along the walls, already prepared for any attack.

"So, Teotihuacan knows we're here," he said to himself. He had already received the reports from the Battle of Tlatelolco. He would not make the same mistake as General Sado. He ordered the regiments to build properly equipped siege towers capable of safely transporting his troops to the walls without suffering the hails of arrows that had wiped out Sado's regiment. General Dairoku had patience and wanted to make sure everything was in working order and that his troops had the battle plan well memorized before beginning the assault. He personally inspected every tower and sat down with every regiment, battalion, and company commander to ensure they understood everything. Tlatelolco had been taken by sheer numbers—Dairoku wanted to take this city by tactics and leave most of his army intact to press their advance toward Tenochtitlan.

Two weeks after they had arrived, the army was ready to assault the city. From the hills, the attacking regiments would guide their mobile towers down the road and spread out along the wall. A platoon of men would be in each tower, ready to break out onto the wall when the time came. It was here that Takagi found himself. His platoon was assigned to take the northernmost tower of the city. They brought a Japanese flag with them. When the tower had been secured, the flag was to be flown and the companies on the ground would then assault the city through the siege towers to open the gates. Dairoku wanted to avoid the slaughter of uncovered men on the ground being pelted nonstop by the archers. The supporting companies would push the tower into place, then withdraw to a safe distance and await the signal to attack.

It was hot inside the tower. The sun was baking the oak planks as it rattled forward. The dull thumps of arrows echoed inside as the platoon nervously waited, standing behind the drop-door at the top. When they had arrived, the men on the ground would signal to them and they would drop the door and begin. Closer and closer the tower approached. Takagi held his shield and sword tightly, thinking about where his friend Jurojin might be...

TLATELOLCO

An officer in formal dress entered the field hospital. "Excuse me, ma'am," he said to a young woman at the counter. "Where might I find Private Jurojin?"

"He's on the third row of beds, third from the back," she said, pointing.

"Thank you."

The officer walked down to the bed and found Jurojin lying there, resting.

"Are you Private Jurojin?"

Jurojin sat up. "I am."

"My name is Second Lieutenant Kanagawa. I am General Sado's personal clerk. We have received orders directly from the Ministry of War in Kyoto that you are to report to a briefing in front of the Intelligence Committee. We leave immediately."

"What?! Why? What's happened?"

"The details are still classified, but it involves new tactics and weaponry. Please follow me. I have a horse outside for your use."

Jurojin was still in shock, but Lieutenant Kanagawa helped him stand up. His wounds had healed well enough by now that he didn't need his crutches any more, but he was not fully recovered. He still limped and paced slowly. He needed to be helped on his horse, but was soon off toward Kyoto...

TEOTIHUACAN - SIEGE TOWER ALPHA

"We're in place! Drop the door!"

A soldier yanked a lever and the weighted door fell hard on the parapets. A volley hit them immediately. Two soldiers in the front fell dead. The rest leapt forward from inside. Takagi ran across to the walls and jumped into the writhing mess of men. He came down on an archer with his sword, impaling him. To save himself from being trampled, he slashed up, cutting down another. Standing up, he began exchanging blows. One, two, above and below swords clashed and sparks flew. Finally, he cut down another archer and pushed forward to the tower. One of the enemy swung at him sloppily. Takagi ducked and stabbed him through the stomach.

Pulling his sword back, it was deep red and dripping. A ladder leading to the crest of the tower was in front. From above, archers fired down carefully on the fighters. Takagi grabbed a sword from one of the fallen and threw it up, hewing an archer in the face. He began climbing. His comrades followed him. At the top, an archer swung down, but Takagi wheeled away, keeping a foot and a hand on the side of the ladder. He pulled down the archer into his waiting friends and continued. Kicking up the last few feet, he found himself on the tower. From here he could see the battle.

The entire wall was covered in a twisting, swinging rabble of troops—another archer came forward in a panicked lunge. Takagi smartly dodged and slashed through the enemy, finishing with a back-stab. He came forward to another enemy, locking blades and pushing him back. Soon, the enemy found himself on the rim of the tower. With one final thrust, Takagi threw him over and to his death. By now his friends had accompanied him atop the tower and were engaged with the remaining fighters.

Takagi grabbed the Aztec banner and threw it off the side. "Hurry! Give me our flag!" he cried. His platoon commander unfurled their banner and tossed it at Takagi. He quickly mounted it to the tower post and erected it for the army to see. From afar a cheer arose, audible through the yelling, and the men saw the supporting companies rush forward...

KYOTO - A FEW DAYS LATER

"I would just like to say that it's an honor to have you here, Private Jurojin," one of the intelligence officers remarked.

"Thank you, sir," Jurojin said, sitting down at the table at the Ministry of War. "What exactly may I help you with?"

"Our officials in the burgeoning science and engineering departments have come up with a new weapon: the reflex bow. We didn't find too much interest in it until we realized it was easy for a rider on a horse to fire the weapon. We have been training a new type of warrior these last few weeks: the horse archer. We actually already have a few horse archer regiments ready to deploy."

"I see... but why have you called me here?"

"We know what you did at Tlatelolco. Your platoon was the only one to reach the wall and hold their position. You were key in that. We heard how you assaulted the archers at the top and made a stand while the battle was being being lost. You are a great hero and an obvious leader under fire... The reason we've called you here is because we feel you know the strengths and weaknesses of archery, as you have seen it in action first-hand. Not only from afar like your commanders but directly under fire. We've called others like yourself to testify and help train our newest horse archers. We are promoting you immediately to Gunsō, or Sergeant, and assigning you to the Horse Archer Training School in Satsuma."

"You're taking me off the front?"

"Yes. We've had all your gear shipped to Satsuma. You begin as soon as you fully recover. For now, you'll be under the care of Imperial Physicians here in Kyoto—"

"No, wait." Jurojin paused. He felt a little awkward. "I was wondering if you might be able to have another medic stationed here with me."

"Another one? The Imperial Physicians serve the emperor... there are no better."

"Maybe, but I'd have to insist on this. I know this medic fairly well and I know she would be the best choice for me."

"Fine. Tell the Personnel Secretary on your way out and we'll handle everything."

TEOTIHUACAN

The city governor ran down an empty alley, but it was futile. Unable to escape, General Dairoku stepped forward with a sword in his hand. Without saying a word, the laconic general slashed the governor and finished the battle. The city was now in Japanese hands.

Takagi, watching from behind, stumbled back against a wall and fell to the ground, exhausted. The general walked up to him. "Well done, private," he complimented with a stoic face. "What's your name?"

"Takagi, sir. Private 1st Class Takagi."

"No, that's not right. Your new name is Corporal Takagi... very well done."

14. A1CBOZ

A1CBOZ Prince

Good show. Love the story. Keep it up.:D

15. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

TEOTIHUACAN

The cavernous mass graves outside of Teotihuacan were not yet filled when an Aztec diplomat came riding to the city. Normally, a Japanese guard would have charged and killed any foreign personnel coming for the city, but the ambassador was flying a flag of truce.

General Dairoku emerged from the city. The ambassador dismounted. He bowed lightly and began, "Ah, behold how close the enemies of my nation have come!"

General Dairoku had a sword in his hand and lifted it over his shoulder, ensuring that the Aztec would see it. "Speak your business quickly—I am busy plotting your destruction."

"General Dairoku, I have come at the behest of my lord, King Montezuma, to negotiate with you the termination of this terrible war. We are prepared to cease all attacks and retire all our troops on your soil. You may keep the territories you've captured and live on in peace."

"These are the terms your master has outlined?"

"They are."

"Then tell him so: we reject his inane proposal and offer up the only terms that we will accept—Montezuma must surrender every city, save his capital, and renounce his throne, returning the Aztecs to a tribal state. He may remain as chieftain but must never again declare himself a divine ruler. If he accepts these terms, we will ensure that the Aztecs do not die out."

The Aztec smiled. "Ha, you have not yet seen the enormous force that has garrisoned our final cities. I reject this absurd proposal and pray you will confer with your emperor before you destroy your armies."

"I will not make any more offers in the future. If you do not accept, I swear I will show no mercy on the emperor. He and all his followers will be crushed."

"Then... we have no more to discuss."

EAST OF BELEM

Staff Sergeant Shimazu thundered forward on his horse. He was finally out of the Titan Jungle and riding quickly up the hill. The tiny village of Tlacopan came slowly into view... It wasn't much—a few houses and the small capitol in the center. The Aztecs had founded it in desperation as a vain attempt to secure iron deposits nearby.

The only security was an old chariot regiment—the one that had fled the Siege of Calixtlahuaca. The Japanese commander sounded a charge and the horsemen fanned out and drew their bows...

The charioteers had been caught completely by surprise in the village streets. Shimazu loosed his first shot and it flew straight into an enemy. The horsemen rode straight into the city, firing arrows into every person in sight. The ones bearing torches set fire to the buildings and, before long, the entire village was aflame. It never stood a chance... the Japanese slaughtered every living thing within and Tlacopan was no more...

PLAINS OF VERACRUZ

A vast steppe of grasses extended as far as could be seen. For the men who had fought the war almost completely in the jungle, the open terrain was a liberating relief that the war would soon be over. The Plains of Veracruz, as they were known, were an expanse that extended just west of Tenochtitlan, the Aztec capital.

Takagi was excited. He wanted to see the enemy capital for himself and be part of its conquest. Amazingly, although the Japanese were advancing through the very heart of the Aztec nation, there was no resistance or counterattack whatsoever. The land was empty and silent, as if the Japanese were the only people left in the world.

"Do you think the Aztecs are going to mount one last, desperate attack, general?" Takagi asked as he rode by.

"Unless I'm mistaken, Montezuma has pulled back all his forces. He thinks it will force us to negotiate. Unfortunately, the emperor has ordered me only to accept their unconditional surrender. They had their chance... now they are doomed."

The army marched and marched through the empty fields, following the old Aztec roads that undoubtedly led to the city... Finally, one day, General Dairoku spotted it.

Nestled, between the southern ocean and a small freshwater lake, the city of Tenochtitlan bustled with activity. Citizens traded strange and colorful goods in the town square, all unaware that their new way of life was only a few miles to the northwest. The general was most shocked, however, when he scanned for defenses.

"The city has nothing!" he cried. "No walls and only a few archer regiments! I was going to wait for our supporting elements to arrive, but seeing this, it's too tempting... we have to attack now!"

He rode toward his regiments, shouting, "Grab your weapons! We charge now! The idiot enemy we fight has left their capital with nothing!"

The regiment commanders scrambled to assemble their troops. The swordsmen formed ranks as fast as they could and prepared to assault the very center of the Aztec Empire...

HILL NORTHEAST OF TENOCHTITLAN

Montezuma watched silently as his capital fell to the Japanese onslaught. Even from as far as he was, he could hear the screams and chaos emanating from what was once his home.

"Let's go, my Lord," General Tizoc beckoned. "There's nothing we can do here. We have to get you to Tlaxcala as fast as we can."

The King of the Aztecs slouched morosely on saddle. "Did you hear?" he uttered softly. "The Japanese rejected my stubborn calls for peace. They offered to let us keep out capital if we would surrender everything else."

"You have made your people proud, my lord, by not acquiescing to their demands and—"

"Fool! Did you hear what I said? That," he yelled, pointing to the fallen capital, "would not have happened! I would not have lost my home! Nothing has come of being proud! I should have accepted their deal."

"My lord, you still have your Jaguar Warriors. They are the elite of your armies and the Japanese have never faced them! I believe we can still hold off their attacks."

"Idiot... we are lost!"

TITAN JUNGLE, EAST OF CALIXTLAHUACA

"I take it you've read the latest reports?" Brigadier Tojo asked the 3rd Regiment commander, Colonel Mikawa.

"Yes," he responded, "of course I have. We've taken the Aztec capitol. From what the reports mentioned, it was not much of a battle."

"Which means what?"

"Montezuma has pulled out most of his army for the final battle."

"Exactly. We've been marching for so damn long since we took Calixtlahuaca, the last of their outposts has to be somewhere in the area."

"I have dispatched scouts in all directions... we'll know if there's anything nearby when they return."

"There's something else that's been bothering me, Colonel Mikawa... the Ministry of Intelligence sent out a classified memo based on all the data gathered from the Aztec cities we conquered. It was sent out to brigade commanders and above."

This piqued Mikawa's interest. "Oh? Are you allowed to brief me on the contents?"

"Yes. Apparently, the Aztecs discovered late into the war how to smelt iron. Now, they never had a major supply of the metal, but apparently, they were able to adapt small amounts of the metal and new tactics into a different style of warrior. They called it, the Jaguar."

"Jaguar?"

"Apparently, the elite of the elite. Personal guards of the king, Montezuma."

A scout emerged from the underbrush. He said, "Ah, Brigadier Tojo, sir! I have found something. A city at the far end of the jungle on the shores of a large lake."

"That must be it!" cried Tojo. "How far?"

"You'll come to a road in a few miles. This will lead you for about twenty miles northeast to the city. I believe it's called Tlaxcala."

"Excellent! Regiment commanders, double march!"

TLAXCALA - NEXT DAY

"This is it, Lord Montezuma," General Tizoc spoke gravely. "I swear I will not abandon you."

The Aztec king said nothing, slouched on his makeshift throne in the city capitol, staring dejected at the stone floor. General Tizoc waited a moment, then bowed and was gone. Outside, he found himself staring at the Japanese Army camped a few miles from the city and preparing for the last battle. He would save the city or die!

"I want all Jaguar regiments in line on the eastern end of the city and archer regiments behind them. We have no place to retreat to... this is the final battle! We will break the Japanese here or we will be destroyed!"

"Regiment commanders," General Dairoku yelled. "I want your men in line to support the initial assault! Colonel Mikawa, you will lead the first strike."

"Yes, sir!... Company commanders, assume formation. At the half-step... forward, march!"

"They approach!" General Tizoc warned his men. "Remain still, remain strong! Whatever happens, maintain your ranks; do not flee. Remember what you protect within the city: your king."

The Jaguar Warriors gripped their spears and blades tightly. They seethed with steady rage, determined to rout the coming attack. Behind them, ranks of archers nocked their arrows, staring intensely at the approaching Japanese, ready to unleash a volley as soon as the enemy was in range.

"At the full-step, march!" Colonel Mikawa ordered. He could see the deep ranks of defenders, but was unconcerned. His men had destroyed everything before them, he was sure it was to be again. Among the soldiers, he could see smiling faces and men chatting, anxious for the war to be over.

"Double-step, march!"

"Archers, prepare a volley." The Aztecs drew their bows as far as they could, praying every shot would hit.

They fired.

Perfect!

"CHARGE!"

The swordsmen charged the lines, unleashing a bellow in unison. The volley of arrows passed overhead and hit the men in the rear ranks. The distance between the forces closed up quickly and within several seconds, the last battle began!

Colonel Mikawa rode furiously to the front and began trampling the Jaguar-men. Suddenly, one of them pulled him from his horse and Mikawa wheeled off and fell hard to the ground. He immediately drew his blade, slashing the legs he saw around him. Several enemy warriors fell around him, screaming. Mikawa stood up, and began slashing a path to rejoin his men. The Aztecs met his blows and thrusts, countering with their own, but Mikawa held his ground, though unable to move.

General Tizoc saw the commotion over on one side and ran to see what was happening. He soon saw Colonel Mikawa in a furious match with the Jaguar-men. Cutting through the ranks, General Tizoc drew his own sword and prepared to meet the enemy commander. Mikawa saw him immediately and turned to face him. The rest of the Jaguar-men receded to give the two room for their duel.

Tizoc swung upwards; Mikawa dodged, but was off balance. The Aztec lunged, but missed and Mikawa tried to slash back at him, but was blocked. Another lunge, another miss. Another strike, another block. Tizoc and Mikawa locked blades over and over and over. Sparks erupted from their blows as neither could get the advantage over the other.

On the line, the swordsmen were barely holding their own over the Jaguars. Experience and discipline were barely overcoming the fanatic devotion of the Jaguar-men. The Japanese were suffering too many casualties to be able to break through with just this regiment. Brigadier Tojo could see he needed to engage more of his forces, but was fearful of the archers. Thus far, they had done little damage since the Japanese had engaged so close to the Aztec line. If Tojo invested more men, he could crowd them and make them fodder for arrows. He needed to make a decision quickly... 3rd Regiment was dying out.

Mikawa swung and missed yet again. He was now exhausted, however, and could feel the strain of lifting his sword. Tizoc was equally fatigued and breathing hard. The Jaguars could have struck him down, but Tizoc ordered them not to interfere. Again, the two warriors clashed, though neither could overcome the other. Suddenly, Mikawa heard a rise in the yelling behind him... Brigadier Tojo had sent another regiment in.

"Volley!" Tizoc cried. Overhead, a cloud of arrows passed like a fleeting hawk. Tizoc realized his men were beginning to thin out and the front was approaching where the duel was taking place. "Archers to the front! I want those Japanese dead!"

Mikawa saw that Tizoc was looking behind to see if his orders were being carried out. He pressed his advantage and came forward. A few of the spectating Jaguar-men cried out, but it was too late. Mikawa slashed and blood began spurting from Tizoc's arm. The Aztec dropped his sword and fell back.

"It is over, general!"

"Kill him!" Tizoc suddenly yelled to the Jaguars. Mikawa swung the sword down with all his force and cleft the Aztec's head. He was suddenly struck by a spear in the chest and was thrown back himself. Just as the Jaguars were about to land the final blow, the Japanese front broke through to him and quickly yanked him back through the lines toward their camp.

Seeing their commander fall, 3rd Regiment sounded retreat and the few survivors that remained fell back, leaving the other regiment to continue the battle.

Mikawa could not withstand the excruciating pain any longer. His eyes rolled back and he passed out as his fellow soldiers drug him away. Tojo was horrified when he saw the last of 3rd Regiment pulling out. He couldn't tell if Mikawa was dead or alive, but he knew he had to press on the attack, regardless. He mounted his horse and began riding toward the men encamped to prepare another charge. The soldiers in the camp had, surprisingly, already assembled. As he rode toward them, Tojo realized some other officer had appeared to lead them.

"Excellent!" Tojo cried, drawing his blade. "Follow my lead! Ch-"

"Wait, Tojo!" a voice commanded. The brigadier turned to see who was holding him back and was stunned when he realized Emperor Tokugawa himself had appeared to lead the men!

"My God!" he cried. "Blessed One, I did not know you had come!"

"I have come to return a gift Montezuma gave me," the Emperor said, producing a small white dagger from his hakama. "But we have no time to linger here in conversation. Look to the city! Our regiment struggles against their Jaguars. I shall lead this final attack and pray that we all survive it; Brigadier Tojo, behind me! Great warriors of Japan, follow me into the city! Charge!"

The last of the Japanese swordsmen erupted in a sprint behind the emperor. From the embattled front, the spirits of the Japanese were suddenly lifted to their highest upon glimpsing their divine ruler coming to aid them. As if a trance suddenly overwhelmed the field, the fighting subsided briefly as Tokugawa and his men bore down on them in silence. A volley came shattering down on the advancing force, but did not halt nor falter the impending doom which was to befall the Aztecs.

Like a hurricane upon a house or a lighting bolt through a tree, Tokugawa exploded through the line of Jaguars, trampling dozens at a time, or so it was said later on. The force of men behind the emperor, compounded with the sheer terror the Aztecs felt upon seeing him, immediately shattered the last of the Jaguars and dispersed the archers in such a panic that many ran into Valsequillo Lake at the far end of the city and drowned. The rest, along with much of the resisting populace, was butchered in the chaotic festivities that proclaimed the end of the war...

TLAXCALA - A FEW HOURS LATER

"King Montezuma!" exclaimed Emperor Tokugawa. "Thou has fallen, mighty king! You armies have been decimated, your people now serve me and follow my credence. Your cities are mine or forgotten rubble. Everything you had is lost. Everyone you loved is dead. I gave you the chance to live, and yet you rejected my offers. Now, we see each other as a master looks upon his slave. What say you?"

The former Aztec king was sitting on a makeshift pier extending out onto Valesquillo Lake. His hands and feet were tied and bound to a large rock, balanced precariously on the edge. He muttered, looking down at the wood, "I am glad that I will not see the days that are to come. My great nation has fallen to the demons of Japan and I pray it may rise up one day and reclaim its former heritage as a true and—"

In a flash, Tokugawa stabbed Montezuma with the bone dagger he had given him and pushed the rock over, dragging the Aztec into the depths of the lake and his death.

"It is done," Tokugawa proclaimed. "The war is finally over."

16. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

TEXCOCO - A MONTH LATER

"I'm sure you have, by now, assessed the situation?" Emperor Tokugawa inquired.

General Dairoku looked at the large map on the wall. What was once dark and unknown was now under the unquestioned control of Japan. Still... many areas of the world had yet to be tamed. "Yes, I've assessed it, my lord."

"Then you agree with me when I say we've placed ourselves in a vulnerable position?"

"I do, my lord."

"Well then, please enlighten me as to your thoughts on the matter."

"Blessed One, from what I've been able to gather regarding the present situation, I feel that the empire has expanded far too quickly. With such a rapid advance and victory against the Aztec Empire, I feel we stretched ourselves too thin... ah, stretched our necks out too far would not be a bad way of saying it. Our captured territory is now surrounded by potential enemies. It's not like the well fortified and unified Izu Peninsula... this," General Dairoku explained, pointing at the western end of the map, "is totally unknown. No one knows what could be hiding in the western reaches."

"And the east?"

"Egypt," the general said, pausing briefly. "Egypt is... I don't believe Egypt is a major threat right now. The Eastern Nations are all establishing themselves right now throughout the land. Egypt knows we're here and that they cannot threaten us. They know what we did to Montezuma and they are not going to make the same mistake."

"So our main threat is in the western unknown?"

"Yes. We have reports of a nation situated somewhere within—the Incan Empire. If they grow any larger, they could become a serious problem."

"Nobody wants a serious problem. How do you feel we should deal with this?"

Here, General Dairoku stopped. He was not looking forward to another war. No one was. The partying and celebrations had only recently ended in honor of the Imperial Army and their victory. Most of the soldiers were enjoying an extended leave and it would be a serious blow to morale to recall everyone in preparation for another conflict. With this in mind, the general spoke, "Diplomacy, my lord. That's how we shall deal with this problem. We have many resources at our disposal. Bananas, pork, rice... only so much is consumed by the empire. Would it not be better to stave off possible future conflicts by trading with our neighbors amicably?"

The emperor was not pleased; it was obvious this was not the answer he wished to hear. "Diplomacy?" he asked with a tone of frustration. "Diplomacy? War is the only diplomacy! I came to you, and not to General Sado, commander of all my armies, because I felt you and I saw things similarly. He is the one I'd go to if I wanted to trade bananas and rice to savages! I felt I'd go to you to deal spears and arrows to our enemies."

"My lord, I appreciate the esteem with which you obviously hold me, but I am uncomfortable with this plan. First, we have no reason to go to war. The Incas have not threatened us, or massed troops on our borders, or conspired against us. Their cities are not even pressed against ours. They live in their own lands, alone and content. I do not believe they would mean us harm. Secondly, I don't think our economy can take another war. Our treasury is already beginning to deplete with maintenance costs from all the new cities we've acquired. We've had to hire engineers, translators, governing officials... this is all costing us money. Another war... well, I see it starving our funds."

"General Dairoku, I am the Emperor of Japan. I am proud of the great work you have done for me and for your people. I view you with much respect. But never seek to alter my course. We will have war and you and the other generals will make it so. Here is my order, to be clear: begin preparing for another war against the Incan Empire."

Despondent, General Dairoku was only able to weakly mutter, "Yes, my lord. As you will..."

17. Thurambar

Thurambar Chieftain

Hi VegitaU,

i am lurking in these forums for quit some time now, but never bothered to register.
    But i truly like your tale of the ironfisted and ironhearted Emperor Tokugawa and his will to power and how that effects his and other people and just wanted to say so.

So: Here i am.

Please continue!

(Btw.: Very nice maps!)

Yours

Thurambar

18. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

w00t! Thanks for the compliments and welcome to CivFanatics! I'm glad you're enjoying this story.

19. Ultimate_Waffle

Ultimate_Waffle The soul devourer.

Yes, this story is pretty epic.

20. VegitaU

VegitaU Los Pepes

Thanks again for the compliment. I'm planning a few twists and turns in the story coming up, so please keep on reading.