Tolkien Nerdfest!

CivCube

Spicy.
Yarr! How hardcore are you as a Tolkien scholar? Have you read through the entire "History of Middle-earth"? Do you have a clue as to who Roverandom and Mr. Bliss are? Show off your knowledge here. :D

I'll give the crown to whoever can tell me who(or what) Tom Bombadilo really is.

I have failed to find this out in my countless readings of the lore and history of middle earth.

my name is Eru the one

Originally posted by Fallen Angel Lord
I'll give the crown to whoever can tell me who(or what) Tom Bombadilo really is.

I have failed to find this out in my countless readings of the lore and history of middle earth.

It isn't really explored too much, but Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are believed to be Maiar.

Melkor rules all

I agree with CivCube, I think they are Maiar. I pride myself (sort of) on being a knowledgeable person on Middle Earth.

Originally posted by Fallen Angel Lord

A dumb hippie who ruins books.

read the silmarillion, but was boring

Originally posted by CivCube
It isn't really explored too much, but Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are believed to be Maiar.
It really isn't covered too well, at all, but there is reason to suspect that they *might* be Maiar. Then again, IIRC, during the First Age, when he was "found" by some other Maiar during their wanderings in Middle Earth, they did not know who he was or where he came from. He is not listed among the known Valar or Maiar, and is simply described as "Eldest".

If you are really interested read the Silmarillion. It's a good read, but not for anyone - it's basically like reading a history book and can be very tedious, but there are lots of interesting details.

red the hobbit as a comic when I was 11, managed to read through lord of the rings before my 14 th birthday. Havent red a line of tolkien since, but I have seen all three movies

I know I'm a fan of Middle-earth, but I never got the time to become a Tolkien nerd. Let's see, read the hobbit many times, Lord of the rings many many times more (I could practically tell you anything from it) and i read the Silmarillion, once sadly. It is tedious at times, but really, when you look at it again, it's such an immense and deep, tragic tale, or tales, and better and more epic than LOTR. I've only glanced throught the HoME series, read 1 book of lost tales, and most of Unfinished tales. Then I used to regularly visit a tolkien forum, but rarely do now.
Still very interestig and neat. I wish i were a nerd.

As for Tom, Tolkien never says what he is, but from the material I think it's fair to say that either he's a mair or just a spirit of Arda created when the world was, like an enigmatic embodiment of it. Thus that makes him Eldest in Middle Earth and of it, not from the outside, as he says of the Dark Lord, Melkor.

And he's NOT a hippie bum who ruins stories! Small as his part might be, i still liked it!

If Bombadilo was a Maiar then he must be a powerful one, greater than even Sauron for when he put on the ring, he did not dissapear and was not controlled by Sauron. And he was not drawn towards the ring like everyone else. He also said he was the first there "before the enemy came from the outside" which means he was there before Melkor came. He could be one of the Valar living in secret in middle earth or even Eru himself.

I read the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and the Silmarrilion but my memory has been lost when it concerns most of the books. I have no clue what Tom is but he was one of my favorite characters.

Question for the Tolkein nerds: Is there some island or something that the Elves go to? Because they always mention they're sailing away from Middle Earth, but Tolkein never mentions any other lands (IIRC) in the Hobbit and LotR...

Top Bottom