Tom Boonen (world champion and best sprinter in tour) caught on coke

philippe

FYI, I chase trains.
deredactie said:
Tue 10/06/08 11:15 - Flemish cyclist Tom Boonen tested positive in an outside of competition blood check by the Flemish Community. He was taken in for questioning Monday, but has been released again.
During a house search at Tom Boonen's parents' residence, no illicit substances were found. The top rider for Quick-Step has not been officially charged yet.

(PhotoNews) Boonen tested positive for cocaine use the end of May, before he started his competition season.

Following the positive test the Flemish Community conveyed the results to the federal authorities. An investigating magistrate in Turnhout (Antwerp province); has been charged with the case.

Boonen was mentioned in connection with cocaine use by ex-cyclist Tom Vannoppen.

Vannoppen tested positive last December for cocaine. During his interrogation he allegedly mentioned Boonen as a dealer; he later denied this. The authorities have nevertheless been keeping close tabs on Tom Boonen this year.

Not punishable outside of competition

(VRT) Tom Boonen does not have to fear suspension from cycling. The use of cocaine outside the cycling competition is not liable to punishment.

Boonen's test was the May 26. He was not in competition at the time.

Following his victory in Paris-Roubaix Boonen was taking a break before resuming competition on May 28 in the Tour of Belgium. He won the Tour in the final race.

Tom Boonen has been getting a lot of negative press lately. Last week he lost his driving license because he was driving too fast.

Team leader: "Don"t know enough"
The Belgian cycling association has no comment for the moment. Quick-Step manager Patrick Lefevere was unavailable.

Team leader Rik Van Slycke does not want to comment either: "I don't know enough yet to give a respectable reaction. That's all I have to say."

http://www.flandersnews.be/cm/de.redactie.english/sports/080610_Boonen

Tommeke, Tommeke wat doe je nu? :cry:

A bit old news now, but the cycling world here is an an uproar. He is our number 1 cyclist.

I hope he can still keep his career though.

and he is barred from the Tour, understandable but still sad :sad:

Thu 12/06/08 12:20 - Former cycling world champion Tom Boonen, under investigation for suspected cocaine possession, has been barred from competing in the Tour de France. This has been announced officially by race director Christian Prudhomme.
The Belgian, who won the green jersey for the best sprinter of the Tour last year, is being investigated after traces of the drug were found in a urine sample taken last month.

"Boonen will not be welcome," Prudhomme has told press agencies. Quick Step manager Patrick Lefevere said his team would continue to back Boonen. He is trying to get his top cyclist into the Tour after all.

(Belga) Wednesday's decision to bar Tom Boonen from competition in the Tour de France means that two of the top contenders are out of the prestigious race. Apart from Tom Boonen, last year's tour winner Alberto Contador will also not be present.

The drug accusations against Boonen are an attack on the integrity of the image of the Tour de France according to race director Prudhomme (photo).

"Clearly, this affair hits the integrity of the Tour de France and the integrity of the riders participating in the race. The link has been made with the Tour."

Belgian prosecutors opened an investigation Tuesday into suspected cocaine use and possession.

(Belga) House searches did not turn up evidence against Tom Boonen, who many say is one of cycling's most gifted sprinters. But, because he tested positive in an out-of-competition check he could face prosecution in Belgium for drug use.

Boonen faces a spell in prison if found guilty but does not risk sanctions from the International Cycling Union as positive cocaine tests out-of-competition do not carry a penalty.

Coke doesn't make you ride faster, does it? Then why should he be punished?

he didn't take any doping (so he certainly isn't trying to hide that by taking coke), he just did something incredibly stupid at some party. Hopefully he has learned his lesson now...

the rumour has been going around for two years now...

I don't think this is an one-time-event, unfortunaly :(

A bit old news now, but the cycling world here is an an uproar. He is our number 1 cyclist.
A cyclist gets caught on drugs and that still causes an uproar where you live? How's that?

he didn't take any doping (so he certainly isn't trying to hide that by taking coke), he just did something incredibly stupid at some party. Hopefully he has learned his lesson now...
Excuse me! Why are you still buying into the lies that want to make you believe cyclists are not doping? They are.

Excuse me! Why are you still buying into the lies that want to make you believe cyclists are not doping? They are.

My thoughts exactly. Cyclists are all doped until proven innocent.

We all have our vices.

Top Bottom