1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomatekh's Historical Religion Mods

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Tomatekh, Oct 23, 2012.

1. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

I don't ever recall seeing Scientology in this, and Mormonism has a civ which historically prefers it, namely Deseret. Meanwhile, there is no modded/vanilla civ, current or planned, which would take advantage of the given religion.

2. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

Yeah that confused me as well - I don't think Scientology has ever been in Historical Religions Complete in any form - so there's clearly some confusion here.

In addition to what Senshi said, I'm pretty sure that the Republic of California by Kramer has Mormonism/LDS as it's preference, due to Ide's personal beliefs.

3. beetle

beetle Deity

Sorry, I thought I spotted Scientology in the icon list. If they are not in, then also excluding FSM is being consistent.

4. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

There's also a standalone Pastafarianism mod in the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=72149297

which only adds Pastafarianism, so you can avoid all the fictional ones of Strange Religions.

I believe Tomatekh said in the past that's he purposefully avoids adding modern movements.

5. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

I do generally avoid more modern religion movements for the very simple reason of cutting down on requests. If I add one modern or meta movement, everyone will also want me to add theirs. The result would be adding a ton of religions which would also never be used by any mod or official civ. I do acknowledge the popularity of the idea of adding Pastafarianism, though. Thankfully, there is a popular standalone Pastafarianism mod on the workshop by salec.

With that said, I would probably still be hesitant to add Pastafarianism simply because it’s not a real religion. I mean Scientology is also not really a religion, but I understand it more like the Cult of Glycon. With Scientology, the people in charge of it know it’s fake but there are people who follow it who legitimately believe in it. With Pastafarianism, the person who created it knows it’s fake AND no one legitimately believes in it (which is sort of the point). That lack of genuine belief/faith, though, I think is a justifiable reason for considering one a religion over the other. With that said, it’s interesting because Pastafarianism also provides many of the non-religious benefits of religion. Religions provide social and psychological benefits that stem from a sense of community, which I’m sure extends to Pastafarians.

If it’s anything, both L. Ron Hubbard and Bobby Henderson appear in the Great Prophet name list of Historical Religions Complete.

6. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

And an interesting side note on Scientology is that it actually includes many legitimate religious themes and structures with a long history found in Western Esotericism and occult movements. L. Ron Hubbard had an interest in the works of Aleister Crowley early on and actually joined a Thelema lodge at one point and collaborated on magical rituals. Crowley and Thelema continue elements of esotericism that stem from New Age Movements back to Renaissance Rosicrucianism and occult sciences back to Greek Neo-platonic philosophy and the works of Iamblichus which stemmed from the mystical mindset of Greek philosophy. L. Ron Hubbard either purposefully or inadvertently (or both) included many of these elements in his religion. So, in a very weird way, Scientology has this authentic religious pedigree (mixed with a whole bunch of other crap).

7. isnorden

isnorden Amnesiac Modder

Touché...I never knew Scientology was there, since (a) I never selected it myself, and (b) it's not coded as a preference for any AI civ I use (I've used a lot of 'em). Still, you have a point about Pastafarians getting serious real-world treatment now; maybe players ought to be able to choose that religion.

8. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Side question: would you be interested in getting more names of religious figures to add to the list? I've had several games where everybody defaulted to "Great Prophet" because we had already gone through all the names in your mod.

9. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Scientology has never been in the mod. I've received lots of requests for it, but I've never added it.

I think beetle's confusion came from Calvinism using the Presbyterian Cross which is similar in design to the Scientology Cross which is actually just a simplified version of the Rosicrucian Cross.

10. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Really? The Great Prophet list already has 142 entries, which is significantly longer than any of the official Great People lists. It's easy enough for me to add more (I mean, I could just go through the bible and add every single prophet mentioned and get a few more dozen), I just didn't think it was necessary.

11. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Well, it's not just Prophets - my games usually run out of writers, artists, musicians, generals, and scientists too (and diplomats from CSD).

12. beetle

beetle Deity

I have another newbie question for you kind folks.

Is there a way to browse the icons and religion name? It seems like I have only the one turn when I found? Is that correct?

13. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

You can read about all of the religions included if you open the civlopedia - I'm pretty sure it might also have the icons in there.

Alternatively you can check out this link which Tomatekh keeps updated.

14. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Okay, so I posted the new HRC update. Normally, I would just post the changes in the "Change Notes" section of the workshop page (like I do with all my mods), but as this update included a larger than normal amount of things (many of them requests), I thought I'd also mention it here.

- Added Malagan. I wrote the civilopedia more as a general Melanesian religion entry to broaden the usage a bit. I'm actually not completely happy with the icon. I tried it a bunch of ways and could never get it quite right. I still not satisfied with it, so I'll probably update/change it in the future, but it's good enough for now.

- Added Itang. While I was adding Malagan, I figured I might as well add a Micronesian religion. (Also because Pohnpei / Nan Madol has always been on my secret 'civs I really want to make list' but the game engine never allowed settling cities on coast / atoll tiles or to graphically update after adding atolls. With Civ VI on the horizon, I'll probably never get around to them. Maybe I'll try to add them as a city-state in something).

- Added a few more religious themed events if you're using Sukritact's E&D mod. (One of them is a late game Atheism event whose event image references Pastafarianism. That and Bobby Henderson being on the Prophet list is my nod to requests for including Pastafarianism).

- Added about 20 more names to the Great Prophet list. I will add more in the future. For the time being, I didn't want to just go through the bible and pick out names (like I said) because the list is already pretty saturated with Christian and Jewish names and I've always wanted to keep an element of diversity to the entries. So, I ended up adding less than I originally intended. I did try to consciously include more female names this time, though.

- Added / Updated a bunch of preferences for mod civs. I just went through the workshop and added stuff for the civs in the first 10 pages or so. A lot probably had HR support already. If not, or they had incorrect support, this will act as a back up or correct their entries.

- General text and picture clean up.

15. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Thank you Tomatekh! If you ever need some help researching names, please let me know. I'd be happy to help!

16. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

I really like the icon, actually! I think it's very accurate to the source material while still looking good at small sizes ;)

17. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

If you like it, then maybe I'll keep it :p Everytime I tried an icon it was just a case of a line disappearing or the game refusing to display a diagonal smoothly at that size. I was actually worried that I ended up oversimplifying it to get it to work.

(I am actually really happy that the name "Malagan" ended up right next to the Polynesian religions and that the Malagan icon kind of fits with them aesthetically as well).

18. Skaz881

Skaz881 History Major

I noticed that there's text for the Aymara religion, but no icon and it's not included in the master list. Is that part of a later update?

19. isnorden

isnorden Amnesiac Modder

Is there any way I could get this to work with the Anonymous Great People mod (which yours overrides, apparently)? I love having historically accurate preferences for hundreds of civs, but it feels downright weird for Siddhartha Gautama to appear in Egypt and found Pesedjet.

20. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

I never got around to making an icon. The planned denomination was back when Leugi was still around and actively planning several more civs that would use it. When he went MIA there was less reason to make a separate denomination so I never got around to finishing it.

Great Prophet names is only included by default in the HR Complete version of the mod (the other versions of the mod don't have it). You can disable them in HR Complete by deleting the "Great Prophet Names" folder and all its contents in HR Complete's files. That will remove any entries and they'll just go back to spawning as "Great Prophet" like in the standard game.