Tomatekh's Historical Religions

Tomatekh's Historical Religions v.24

Firstly, I want to say thank you for your quick response to my own and I am sorry for not getting back with you until now. That is very much appreciated for you to answer my questions and giving a novice insight on this more, and explaining it in even simplified terms for me to have a eureka moment (so I can advance faster to the next tech; nonetheless, my science must be really behind or is it my religion or both. >.>*). :p *trying to be funny* Back on the matter-at-hand, I think I have a better understanding of what to do and not to do. I guess I was more confused about if I need to do anything or not at all and I feel like a fool. I was confused by this: " toggle the included denomination packs and/or enable a "light" version of the mod".

Can of Worms:
I think I have a bigger conundrum on my hand, because I did a fresh re-install of Civilization VI, your mod [delete folder and re-subscribe on steam and everything re-appeared], and disabled all other mods that are installed. Played a fresh game to quickly found a religion and only religions that appears are the Winter Patch ones? I do not have during that game: Christian Extended, Heresies Extended, Protestant Extended, Greco-Roman Denomination, etc religions.

I am a bit puzzled by this??? IF and WHEN I ever get this functioning I will not venture into folders again. Plus, I was thinking, and had a self-revelation, that this is your hard work and your mod what gives me the right to be nitpicky of what I want instead of enjoying the atmosphere that you have created and plus in simple terms: more religions to use during the game! :)

Can of Worms:
I think I have a bigger conundrum on my hand, because I did a fresh re-install of Civilization VI, your mod [delete folder and re-subscribe on steam and everything re-appeared], and disabled all other mods that are installed. Played a fresh game to quickly found a religion and only religions that appears are the Winter Patch ones? I do not have during that game: Christian Extended, Heresies Extended, Protestant Extended, Greco-Roman Denomination, etc religions.

This is especially odd if you are using the version off steam as the first version uploaded to steam included the Greco-Roman denominations. I only released versions without the Greco-Roman denominations on civfanatics.

EDIT:
I just thought of something, do you perhaps also have a version of your mod in the "Mods" folder?

Steam downloads to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\870850597\

But you can also install mods by placing them in

~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods

If you have an older version of the mod in your "Mods" folder, it's possible the game is using that version instead of the one installed from steam.

If you could, double-check and delete any version of the mod that might be in the "Mods" folder. Then load up the game with the steam version of the mod.

If that still doesn't work, we can try ignoring steam completely and just using the mods folder :p

So, in that case, unsubscribe and delete folder 870850597 from
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\

Then download the mod from here
http://www.dropbox.com/s/5qr9w9nxkfthohd/TomatekhsHistoricalReligionsvb5.zip

That's a zip file. Open up the zip and move the "Tomatekhs Historical Religions" folder from there and place it into your "Mods" folder
~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods

The game should then use that version of the mod.

EDIT: I just thought of something, do you perhaps also have a version of your mod in the "Mods" folder?

That was it!!!! The mod that was their was the Winter Patch of your mod, so no matter how many cool updates you did I was frozen in place to that patch........

I feel embarrassed of my stupidity and that it was an easy fix like this.... Q.Q *facepalm* I was making it much more complicated then it needs to be, BUT on the plus side I learn a little more about sql files from you. In addition, I want to say THANK YOU for being patient and kind to a novice andhelping me through this obstacle.

Civ humor: "Thank you for having a research agreement with me to get this technology and helping me catch up on faith." :) <- (Being funny and yes I am a nerd... >.>***)

*Now insert slow clap here.... I deserve it... T.T*

Is it possible to make a mod where leaders have multiple religious preferences in your mod? Example: Brazil has preference to create Catholicism, but if it exists already, it shows preference to create Pjelanca.

Is it possible to make a mod where leaders have multiple religious preferences in your mod? Example: Brazil has preference to create Catholicism, but if it exists already, it shows preference to create Pjelanca.

Unfortunately, it's not possible. It was somewhat possible in Civ V, so Firaxis may update the game to allow it, but, at the moment, having them choose a random religion is the best that can be done.

Tomatekh updated Tomatekh's Historical Religions with a new update entry:

v. 6

Historical Religions v.6

Note: Do not update until you are ready to start a new save.

- New Religions: Bumuntu (Luba), Malagan (Micronesian), Temaukelism (Selk'nam)
- New Denominations: Catharism (Christianity), Intiism (Inca), Tangata Manu (Rapa Nui), Tzol'kin (Maya)
- Added several new custom icons
- Custom icons can now be toggled on/off with the configuration file (and independent of the HR Light option)
- Cleaned up several older icons
- Added back-up support for several civ mods
- Miscellaneous fixes

Last edited:
I want to thank you for including extra icons for custom religions, despite not being the focus of the mod. I really liked the Caduceus which was added last patch, and the new icons in this patch are pretty fun as well! They make great additions for role playing when you don't want to go full historical. :)

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. I'll probably add a few more in future updates. I'm not going to go crazy or anything, but I do think they're fun to have (especially since Civ VI removed the ability to rename the base religion icons). Plus, I'm almost done porting all the religions that were in the Civ V version of the mod, so I don't have to divide my time as much between making them.

I am starting a mod that adds a fee units/unit classes to flesh out the armies of each era (cuirassier, macemen, light/heavy cavalries) so I just have a question about compatibilities. Is there something in particular I must do to make my mod compatible with this one?

Also do you know if this is compatible with suktitacts civs/leaders?

You shouldn't need to add any compatibility for that type of mod. You only need to if you add a leader (to set a religious preference) or if your mod makes changes to the base religion entries or IDs. If you do add a new leader, the original post has a code example for adding compatibility.

HR should also work with all the new civ/leader mods currently released on the workshop. HR itself has backup compatibility in case load order messes up, otherwise its up to if the author set a preference for their leader. I believe Sukritact has, so they should work (with Ethiopia using Oriental Orthodoxy and Hadrian using Imperial Cult).

Cool, thanks for the response. Last time I'll bug you about this; which file is it that allows me to edit this?

I asl because Siam founded an obscure religion I haven't heard of before. Since I know a fair amount about world religions I looked it up and it was totally unrelated to Siam. I am using the first iteration of his Siam mod so I do need to upgrade it but for future purposes I'd like to know where the file is. Assume I have never looked at the game files when answering please. Thanks.

Yeah, I think Sukritact forgot to include an entry in his initial version, but his newest version definitely should.

In terms of where to find it, there's really no set file. For a lot of mods you might have to search every included SQL and XML file in the mod for "FavoredReligions" until you find the entry. Sukritact and JFD usually use the file structure of a folder named "Core" and then including the entry in a file with either "Leader", "Civilization", or "Mod" in its name. So, those would be your best bet to search first.

You can technically add the entry into any file, so if a mod doesn't have one you can just put it into any SQL file. You just don't want to have two different entries in different files, so it's best to search first. The first post has SQL code examples for adding an entry to support HR. Basically, the code needs to check if the religion exists first before assigning it (since Civ VI is somewhat crashy when referencing things that might not be in the database).

v. 7

- Adventism (Christianity), Santería (Afro-Cuban), Orenda (Iroquois), Romuva (Lithuanian), Suomenusko (Finnish), Tala-e-Fonua (West Polynesian), Napir-tuniis (Elamite)
- Added 3 additional custom icons (Sword, Cup, Octopus)
- Cleaned up various old icons, text, names, etc.
- Added a partial French translation (mostly names) by zebenji
- Misc. mod support

A link to download the previous version (to continue old saves, etc.) can be found at the bottom of the Steam workshop description.

Last edited:

v8

v. 8
- Compatibility update for the July patch
- Amanitore prefers Pesedjet

The configuration table has been moved to the top of the “HR_Religions_Master.sql” file.

Please make sure to delete any old versions of the mod that may be in your Content or Mods folders. The update is not compatible with save games using the previous version.

(Known Issues: The religion pedia text does not properly update if changing its individual denomination with the configuration table. I will try to correct this in a later update. Let me know if you encounter any other issues).

I have an issue though. I tried to delete my old mod folder, but it says I can't delete it because I need permission, even though I am the admin of my own computer. I tried to unsubscribe then subscribe to the mod again, but when I downloaded it, it paused and said I have "missing file privileges". What should I do?

Top Bottom