1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomatekh's New Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by Tomatekh, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

Hey there, can you try replacing this and this files? I'm not sure it will fix the issue, but there are some few chances it will.

2. Kuserab

Kuserab Warlord

Quick bug report: I updated Champa and Benin (what do those updates do, by the by) and when I tried to load Champa, it said I was missing required dependencies. But the only dependency is BNW, and I'm using BNW. Will try restarting the menu/game and seeing if it happens again.

3. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

The updates only added internal support for JFD's Cul Div mod (they didn't change anything so I forgot to post about it).

Not sure what's up with the dependency. Double checking the files, the only one present is BNW so I don't know what could be causing it.

4. Kuserab

Kuserab Warlord

Looks like something else weird is going on - it appears to be affecting all my mods. Just started happening on last boot up. The only difference between then and now is that I updated Benin and Champa. But it's incredibly likely that has nothing to do with what's happening. Will investigate further. Anyone ever hear of a similar problem? Should I reset my steam cache or whatever that is?

Edit: started a non-modded game and still have BNW features enabled. Going to try deleting recently updated Benin and Champa, see what that does - though I doubt that's the problem.

Double edit: my apologies for the false alarm, Tomatekh. Turns out it was the update to CulDiv that did it. I must have updated that wrong. Thanks for the quick reply.

5. Packherd2

Packherd2 Warlord

Hi Leugi,

Something indeed worked. Although the under construction graphic is still checkerboarded, the completed graphic is definitely working.

(Also, you got me a pretty decent start. Could you work that into a mod? ;))

Attached Files:

6. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

Excellent! I'll be updating all improvement files to fix the issue then :D ... (The construction graphic is still checkboarded because its a different model, so I need to update each model sepparately)

7. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Just played a game with the Sioux post-patch. I'm happy to say they keep their gameplay from before bison were added. I'm curious why you didn't just move the standard bison around instead of splitting them off into wild bison.

8. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

The main reason... so the AI wouldn't try to constantly build camps on them.

9. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

how do bisons roam? do they claim tiles for the city? i think it would be fun if they did.

and what if they acted like a cell automata? say, each X turns a bison moves, and looks at surrounding tiles. if there are > 1 bisons nearby, this bison is removed from the map. If there are no bisons nearby, an additional bison is created. If a bison can't move (no unimproved plains tiles nearby), it gets removed too.

now look, you start with 1 bison, it roams and adds to your territory, and spawns other bisons as well. each gives 1 gold to the nearest city - they can leave 3 hex radius but still be helpful.. so the sioux would make use of open plains.

are you interested in this idea? i can do lua coding.

10. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

The bison do already claim neutral tiles for the civ. At the moment I'm not really looking to change the current implemented mechanic. Mainly, I want to avoid making the ability too terrain restricted. With my initial testing, I found that most maps just didn't have enough space to limit the bison to only one terrain type. Even just flat, no feature, grass/plains often had the bison get trapped and end up not moving around much. Currently the only restriction they really have (besides the obvious no water, mountains, or cities) is no hill tiles or tiles with a pre-existing resource. I let them move onto improvements (which allows the bison and improvement yields to stack) as, again, I didn't want to trap the bison by mid-game.

11. killmeplease

its ok they should disappear somewhere near [sioux's] renaissanse isnt it? hunting migrating herds is a primitive economy feature isnt it.

12. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

True, if Civ more closely followed history, but no other civ UA (except Vanilla France) obsoletes despite many being anachronistic after a certain point in the game. In general, I also find that people don't like playing civs whose abilities obsolete.

13. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Lol, i never liked France in civilization, but their vanilla UA was way better then the current one...:p

14. killmeplease

celtic ua kinda gets obsoleted too, when you chop out those sacred groves

15. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

But you can choose not to do that.

16. Teproc

Teproc King

Their current UA is still very strong actually, its one of the easiest civs to get a culture victory with. The vanilla UA was better but that's because it was pretty busted.

17. DoctorMcGann

DoctorMcGann Emperor

Your Mali civ is really neat, but like others have reported, it crashes the game as soon as I meet them.

18. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

So, uhmm, Caral?

Spoiler :

19. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

Caral is being worked on yes. Probably exists in a modder-verse beta file but not finished quite. I figure it will be soon enough though. It's looking pretty neat!

20. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

When I do the next update, I'm going to include an optional static screen and instructions how to use it instead of the animated one for people who seem to crash with the current leader. I don't know what causes it, maybe something with DX9 instead of DX10 or older cards. IDK.

Shhh, it's a secret to everybody.