1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomatekh's New Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by Tomatekh, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DoctorMcGann

DoctorMcGann Emperor

I'm using DX11, so that can't be it. Weirdly, it shows the entire animation, and ony crashes when exiting the diplomacy screen.

2. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Wow. There are a lot UA possibilities for caral.

I would choose that UA:

Utilization
    Bonus resources provide gold as if they were luxury resources. Cities connected to trade routes provide +1 happiness per every luxury resource present in city. +2 food from fish, +1 gold fro pearls, +1 production from sheep.

3. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

Sumer with CulDiv, IV Traits, and R&R is pretty crazy. Capital starts off at a massive 6 pop and with a dip into Liberty any other cities start with 5 (sadly R&R replaces the Order policy that would bump that to 7 late-game), assuming they're all next to rivers.

Of course it's somewhat balanced out by the Vulture being not exceptional and the Plough decision being a bit weak (but then it's likely the cheapest and earliest decision of all of them). Cuneiform works nicely with the Ziggurat though. Honestly I'd liken them most to the Maya, with a heavy science/faith focus that's harder to get off the ground since that comes in later and you can't just spam cities endlessly, but with a much higher payoff. I keep trying to be silly and use the Vultures to conquer but I'm pretty sure they're more for defensive purposes to expand where you please.

4. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Yay, someone is actually posting feedback in my thread :p

You know, I think its harder and harder to decide what the appropriate balance is for a civ these days. Not only is there a large discrepancy between the official civs now (with a lot of the expansion civs stronger than the Vanilla ones) but there are so many good mods (many of which are must haves) that it's hard to decide which ones to account for when trying to balance things out. Sumer had the bonus pop ability before Cul Div also added it to the Mesopotamian group, and I really haven't played enough test games using the two together to judge if the stacking is a problem. Of course, all the extra starting population is also a lot of extra starting unhappiness (which Sumer doesn't have any innate bonus to combat).

For various reasons related to what I'm currently working on, I've been thinking about my Sumer mod a lot recently (if it possibly needs a rework). I do really like the pop bonus UA for them. I always thought it was a simple but effective (and thematic) ability to give the civ. Actually, I think all the parts of Sumer work really well thematically. Functionally... I'm not as sure (but I'm also never fully satisfied with my work and think all my mods have problems).

5. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

For some reason all the sudden updating unrelated mods has made all these civs not work with IV Traits (or at the very least made the icons no longer appear after the names). Might have something to do with tags? Support is entirely external, I've found.

6. Natan35

will the Sioux keep their UA?(the recent patch adds a buffalo resource)

7. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Hmm, only one of my civs has internal support for Civ IV traits as Bingles included support for the rest in the Civ IV traits mod itself. Did your updates break the compatibility for just my civ mods or for all the civ mods supported within the Civ IV traits mod? I could always add a few lines within my civs as backup to ensure they work, but I don't know when I would have time to go through and update all of them.

The Sioux mod has already been updated to accommodate the recent patch. Their UA remained largely the same except Bison are displayed as Wild Bison in Sioux territory (to help distinguish that it functions differently).

8. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

The Sioux have already been updated to account for Bison. They convert existing Bison to their special roaming Bison. These bison have greater yields, and can claim territory, but cannot be improved.

9. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

Ah yes, it does appear to be all the ones supported within the mod itself. Very strange...I will have to peer around.

E: ...Apparently it has something to do with Piety and Prestige, weirdly. o.o

10. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Since this thread seems to be active today...

Any updates on new civs?

11. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Do you have logging enabled? If it's due to a conflict with a table or tag or something, it might show up in the database log.

I have some stuff more or less fully coded and I just need some art assets before they're ready for release.

I could post a beta like I did with Champa, but it took me like 4-5 months from posting the Champa beta before I could officially release it and I don't really want to do that again. I don't really like posting teasers for the same reason. I don't exactly keep the fastest release schedule and I would rather just post projects when they're finished than post something and not be ready to release it for months.

I will say, if something I posted a while back has been taking longer than expected to release, it's likely because the project has gotten bigger than I originally described...

12. Natan35

If the response was as fast where i had more serious problems....:p:p:p
    I would suggest that the Sioux will get extra yields from pastures, i think it can be really cool.
    And hows Caral going?

13. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

He just answered this in the post above yours :p

14. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Caral is nearing release. Its mostly fully coded, just needing some art assets.

15. Natan35

"Bigger", huh?
    Is that a multi modder civ pack?;););)

16. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

What art assets do you need?

17. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Any chance for a last minute surprise Tomatekh release before the New Year?!?!

18. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Happy New Year, everyone!

In answer to the previous question, no, I did not have a last minute surprise release planned before the new year (though, I did manage to sneak in a Historical Religions update). I know, I technically haven't released a civ since the Sioux (on July 4th!), but everything is far along in development, so hopefully they'll be ready sometime early this year.

In the meantime, we should congratulate all the other great modders who've provided us with fantastic civs this past year. Looking back at some of the original Civ V, G&K, and BNW mods, its really amazing how much everyone's skills have grown and I've personally enjoyed playing all the great mods you guys have provided.

Also, a personal thanks to everyone who has helped my own mods in some way (this past year or otherwise): Leugi, Jan, JFD, Sukritact, Regalman, Vieregel, Pouakai, Reedstilt, Lastsword, FramedArchitect, Ekmek, Whoward, TPangolin, anyone I've forgotten (not intentional, I promise). My civs would be a shadow of themselves without your help!

19. Natan35

What is your next planned civ?

20. noncasus

noncasus Chieftain

Well, either I need to add more NA civs into my games or the Sioux are OP. I've attached a link to several screenshots of a 60 civ game session on standard speed, prince difficulty starting from Ancient Era.

http://imgur.com/a/Pbslr