Tomatekh's New Civilizations

For a general update, if I'm a little quiet lately it's because I'm currently trying to fix a few bugs I've discovered in my mods.

In terms of modding and Civ V and Civ VI, it's safe to assume that Poverty Point and the Olmec will be my last real Civ V projects. This is more a realistic predication than anything else; I usually only release a new civ once or twice a year so any new project started now would likely not be completed before Civ VI comes out. Both Poverty Point and the Olmec are largely finished except for art assets, so they're more likely to have everything come together in time (though, even if they don't, I'm still committed to releasing them after Civ VI, if it comes to that). For the Olmec specifically, I'm going to try and contact Leugi again and see if he's willing to post the files. Though the plan was always for Leugi to post the civ, I'm sure neither of us want the work already done on it to go to waste and would also prefer to release it before Civ VI. So, if that's the only real option to achieve that, I'm going to see if I can move the long delayed project forward.

In terms of Civ VI specifically, I don't know. Honestly, I'm in a very different place now in terms of time constraints and real life responsibilities than I was when I started modding for Civ V. So, I don't know how much I can really commit to modding for it. I would like to do some stuff, but maybe that will have to translate to only releasing a few key mods/personal favorite civs instead of anything ongoing. In general, I also don't like to mod for Civ (as was the case for both IV and V) before an expansion or two is released. This is both in terms of just having more options to take advantage of and not wanting to waste time modding something that's potentially added later in an official capacity. I also would prefer to take some time and learn the new game's mechanics instead of just trying to port abilities based around Civ V (and that might not really work in VI) all in an effort to get a mod out quickly/first. Porting non civ mods, like Historical Religions or Prophet names (if they're still needed), is something that you're more likely to see from me early on (and would likely be easier to do anyway assuming religion is in at base).

As for my existing Civ V mods, I will continue supporting them for bugs and stuff, but will likely wind down making any real changes to them. So, if there's anything you don't like or would like to see potentially changed in my current mods (change a civ's abilities / add a new religion to HR / etc.), now's the time to post it. If you do have a suggestion, please also post an explanation :p

I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the Community Balance Patch (CBP) or to be named Vox Populi, although I'm somewhat worried some of the excellenct mod-civs I'm playing won't support it.

Are your civs compatible with the CBP or if not, would you consider providing that support?

With the changes Vox Populi will bring + a large number of exciting civs, I'm sure I'll be playing civ5 still for quite some time, at least until after the first expansion for civ6. :)

Runtime Error: Assets\UI\FrontEnd\GameSetup\UniqueBonuses.lua:218: attempt to call field '?' (a nil value)

I got this after I enabled Xia(latest version)

I always felt like the hittites UB had a bit of an iroquios problem in that in many starts it is worse than vanilla, harrapa sewers could also use a bit of a minor boost so they aren't totally redundant with tradition if you go that route. Kongo I also feel is a bit underpowered/vanilla feeling and could use a little boost in the ua. Everything else I think is pretty good with the civs as far as I have played.

I echo the idea that the Harrapan UB is a little weaker than it need be. How about a boost to being built in river cities? Like a simple food boost or something? Or give it a food boost by default and make it maintenance free in cities on rivers? After all an abundant source of flowing fresh water aids greatly in building a sewer system.

The Hittites (and Timurids) are both civs I'm looking to buff slightly. I'm not sure how I'm going to do that yet. I sort of like how the Hittite UB is now (kind of a straightforward early game Recycling Center for Iron) so it might be a numbers adjustment on one of the other uniques. For Harappa, I've been thinking of having the Sewer get another bonus (maybe extra food kept) if you also have the tradition finisher. That way it's not a case of just piling on extra bonuses if you don't go that route. For Kongo, I don't know, I regularly get this civ is OP complaints about them on Steam (though, I think this is mostly just people reacting to a civ with a high expansion flavor). I don't mind if their bonuses feel vanilla (and, actually, almost all of their stuff can be done with just XML :p), but, then again, I actually quite like a few of the vanilla civs and don't think their designs are half as bad as the forums make them out to be. So, I'm not really looking to code an entirely new ability for them, but maybe I'll give them something small like a yield or price adjustment.

I still think the Champa elephant should get a little bit more of a bonus, as they are not that great at seigeing cities but they are too weak to use in regular combat.

I just feel like the elephant is worse than the crossbowman and the trebuchet at what their specialties are, and just something more (+1 sight, Woodsman, more defense) would make it more unique and less underpowered.

Champa has a long history of people saying the UA is overpowered, so I've always been hesitant to buff their other uniques. I've also regularly nerfed/put limits on the UA in response to this (and, actually, now feel I might have gone too far the last time I did so and may slightly buff it again). So, I need to finalize that before I adjust the other uniques. I'm still not convinced the UU needs adjustments. It's not supposed to better than both the trebuchet and crossbow; making up for any loss in specialization with its versatility. Even then, in certain situations it is still better than the trebuchet at sieges (since it outpaces a trebuchet's damage for two turns). Generally, the more you have of them and the more you can focus fire, the more it outshines the trebuchet. One of the original ideas behind the bonus was also to help you attack a city quicker after disembarking. In terms of giving it something extra, the UU does also already get a 50% defense bonus vs mounted units.

I have a question about the Shang UA. Are the faith boosts just one-time things, or are they permanently added onto the faith per turn?

It's a one time bonus, but the amount varies depending on your current era and the specific random bonus.

I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the Community Balance Patch (CBP) or to be named Vox Populi, although I'm somewhat worried some of the excellenct mod-civs I'm playing won't support it.

Are your civs compatible with the CBP or if not, would you consider providing that support?

With the changes Vox Populi will bring + a large number of exciting civs, I'm sure I'll be playing civ5 still for quite some time, at least until after the first expansion for civ6. :)

In the past I have looked into and seriously considered adding CBP support for some or all of my civs. However, especially with the imminent arrival of Civ VI, I no longer see it happening on my end.

There are a few reasons, the biggest of which would be the time commitment in not only updating all my existing mods for support but then also keeping them updated any time the CBP is updated. To be honest, I also just don't have much personal interest in the changes made by the CBP.

If it's anything, I believe all my civs do load and function with the CBP active. They're just not balanced/adjusted around the CBP stats.

Runtime Error: Assets\UI\FrontEnd\GameSetup\UniqueBonuses.lua:218: attempt to call field '?' (a nil value)

I got this after I enabled Xia(latest version)

UniqueBonuses.lua isn't a file from or called by Xia, so I'm not sure if the error is on my end. Do you use EUI? It may be something with the combination of the two mods, but I'd have to ask JFD since he coded the Xia interface.

Really the more I think about it kongo is probably ok... I always forget how much you really use archery units, a fast cheap pike unit is pretty useful, and if you get a lot of jungle you can abuse the ub. Not top tier imho but ok as is.

actually I am also confused by this error. It happened after I updated Xia........

I do not use EUI, what I enact are CP, EE, IGE, eD, cultural diversity, and many custom civs I using for a long time

edit: v55 works well

actually I am also confused by this error. It happened after I updated Xia........

I do not use EUI, what I enact are CP, EE, IGE, eD, cultural diversity, and many custom civs I using for a long time

It seems to be the error that comes up when a civ is missing a unique (a civ needs at least two uniques to show up on the selection screen).

It's coming up when the latest versions of Shang and Xia are both loaded. However, it's not coming up if its Shang and the latest version of the Cradles of Civilization pack (which is why I initially missed it). This is odd, though, because Xia standalone and Xia Cradles Pack are essentially identical. So, I don't know what's causing the conflict in only the standalone version.

The only difference between v.55 and the latest version of Xia was some lua edits to accommodate JFD's CiD mod, which shouldn't affect anything either.

I'll look into it some more and hopefully be able to figure it out soon.

Okay, I have fixed the problem and uploading the fix now.

I don't know what the problem was, because after finding the file causing the conflict and playing around with it for an hour, all I eventually did was re-save it as is and it worked. So, I think the file must have gotten corrupted originally somehow.

]I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but because I was playing as one of your civs and two of the civs around me were made by you I thought I'd post it here. As you can see in the attachment there are some issues with the city labels (I'm not sure what their technical name is.) My capital's is frozen from what it was several turns ago. In the upper left it shows that I am actually building an archer and not a scout and that my population is 4 and not 3. In addition you can see that Kiev is messed up as well. I am using EUI, the latest CBP (Vox Populi), the latest CiD, RtP, CulDiv, Barbarians Evolved, your other civs and many of JFD's civs.

Attachments

• 20160524144252_1.jpg
    20160524144252_1.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 114
You sure it's not the other mods conflicting with each other?

Because I'm not sure if all those mods are meant to be played with CBP in the first place.

]I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but because I was playing as one of your civs and two of the civs around me were made by you I thought I'd post it here. As you can see in the attachment there are some issues with the city labels (I'm not sure what their technical name is.) My capital's is frozen from what it was several turns ago. In the upper left it shows that I am actually building an archer and not a scout and that my population is 4 and not 3. In addition you can see that Kiev is messed up as well. I am using EUI, the latest CBP (Vox Populi), the latest CiD, RtP, CulDiv, Barbarians Evolved, your other civs and many of JFD's civs.

None of my civs edit those screens/toolbars, so I'll say it's unlikely to be coming from my civs (though, I'll go through the files again just to make sure). EUI, CBP, and JFD's mods, though, very heavily edit the various info screens (CiD used to have some issue with the city info screen when I recently added CiD compatibility for Xia, but I think JFD fixed that). If I had to guess, one of those mods recently updated a specific info screen and the other mods haven't yet adjusted their files for the update or one mod needs a compatibility file to work with the other. JFD or Gazebo might be able to offer more insight than I can.

None of my civs edit those screens/toolbars, so I'll say it's unlikely to be coming from my civs (though, I'll go through the files again just to make sure). EUI, CBP, and JFD's mods, though, very heavily edit the various info screens (I know JFD's CiD had some issue with the city info screen when I recently added CiD compatibility for Xia). If I had to guess, one of those mods recently updated a specific info screen and the other mods haven't yet adjusted their files for the update or one mod needs a compatibility file to work with the other. JFD or Gazebo might be able to offer more insight than I can.

Such as?

CID's CityBanner is borked

Lots of help. Thanks.

I had a feeling it was one of the other mods, thanks for helping me out.

If you could post your Lua log to the CID thread, I could perhaps discern the specific issue. It is likely an untoward interaction between the other mods you're using.

Such as?

Lots of help. Thanks.

If you could post your Lua log to the CID thread, I could perhaps discern the specific issue. It is likely an untoward interaction between the other mods you're using.

Unfortunately I haven't enabled logging because I don't really know what to do with them/how to interpret them, but I will for future posts.

Such as?

Lots of help. Thanks.

Aj-

Bah-

I said about that! I said it was the thing with the GarrisonFrame line that wasn't in EUI's file. I was also gonna try it with the 21/5 beta, because I hadn't noticed it, incase that magically fixed things.

Just thought of something - why not have the kuikuro UB give a gold instead of production on bananas? That way the bonus isn't wasted if you improve the resource.

How about giving food to spices, gold to bananas, and production to cocoa, so each gets a bonus yield it doesn't have naturally?

Top Bottom