1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tonight! (Sept 9th) Interview with Composer and Lead Audio Director for Civ5!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by PlayerOneWLOY, Sep 9, 2010.

1. asix79

asix79 Warlord

If I wanted to, do you think Direct2Drive would let me change my order, so I could get the Deluxe version? I ordered the regular edition during the "SchoolSucks sale."

2. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

I'm getting the same impression. In the radio interview he said they tried to get away from Civ IV's pervasive European music, but if anything this sounds even more homogeneous. Instead of all European, now it's all 20th century movie soundtrack European. Yeah, they have some occasional cultural instruments mixed in, but that doesn't change it.

3. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

I would argue that it is exactly the opposite: because of the orchestras playing the compositions the music might sound "european". But it is not.

It is a well composed and performed music for a computer game. I think it is the best civ music of the series. I liked some of the civ IV music also, but this is more diverse.

I realy enjoy this music. Hats of to the composer and the performers and orchestrators. They did a good job.

One has to keep in mind that it is music for a game. The "movie soundtrack" feel is something that "comes with the territory". You can not compose in something that has zero commercial appeal because that may well cut your profit :D.

For a computer game I think the music is more than suitable. It will go well with the action in the game, you'll see. :)

PS A big "thank you!" to the OP for sharing this. It is allways nice to find good music anywhere.

4. Slinko

Slinko Chieftain

I like the music but I prefer listening to Mozart, Beethoven, Adams, etc. like we did in Civ 4.

5. Lorteungen

Lorteungen Warlord

This music is awesome. Will this be played when playing as any one of those civs, or is it just the music you hear in the diplomacy screen with that civ?

6. VikingMaekel

VikingMaekel Chieftain

I like the music, I think that the songs fit the civilizations that they belong to.

7. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

Um... it was all composed/arranged for largely the same orchestra (and MIDI :eek:) by the same 1 or 2 people.

I agree. It's very well-done, considering. Some of it is pretty good. I'd still go insane hearing for any length of time.

In Civ IV, there were no caveats. The music was actually excellent, as in, it was made by actual musical geniuses like Dvorak.

Perhaps we're not getting the full picture, and the actually good music they licensed will feature even more prominently, and I won't turn the music off, and we can all agree that the soundtrack is superb.

8. craig123

craig123 Prince

I can't listen to it - I'm at work. :(

I'm really looking forward to hearing it - particularly Elizabeth's! :crazyeye:

9. flaming_iles

flaming_iles Warlord

They're all amazing, looking forward to the game even more now. :)

FYI, Elizabeth's peace music is taken from Gustav Holst's 'Jupiter'.

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Yeah, the music is really nice, thanks for the links :goodjob:.
    I'm looking forward to downloading the interview when it's available :).

:think: didn't notice this at first, but you could be right.
    We'll have to see it later, if it's true or not.

11. craig123

craig123 Prince

Elizabeth's is "I Vow to Thee, My Country"! Why did no one say? That's probably my favourite hymn - and a great patriotic song too! I was happy with "Rule, Britannia" in civ4 but I think this is even better. That has really made my day! Thank you Geoff Knorr, Andy Brick and the Prague Filmharmonic Orchestra. :D:D:D

12. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Wow. The music IS impressive, really. I wouldn't mind listening what Mr Knorr has to say about making it :)

Good job, now I want to play the game, two bloody more weeks... I can't remember being so impatient about a game release in a looong, long time :lol:

13. Slinko

Slinko Chieftain

can someone please send me a link to the interview. I can't find it.

14. neev

neev Waiting for Civ VI

Although I like the music (some tracks I like A LOT), I agree with poster thinking music from actual composers from the past (as in Civ 4) was best, more epic, and had a better "historic flavour".

Also, if I understand correctly, there are no era-tracks anymore (an ancient track, medieval track, etc), only a peace track and a war track for each civ ? If it is so, I honestly don't think I can stomach the same two tracks the whole game :) I think I'll have to turn the music down, fairly soon.

The job done on this soundtrack is great, though.

EDIT : and yes, a link to the interview would be great :)

15. Scramble

Scramble Warlord

It was a radio interview, so unless someone wrote a transcript, we just need to wait until it is up for download.
    :(

16. sensual benny

sensual benny Commander

The devs have talked before about a "peace playlist" and "war playlist", so hopefully these tracks are just samples, and each civ has more than 2 songs.

17. rastak

rastak Emperor

In my case I was blown away by the quality.

Outstanding stuff and I didn't find it all the same either.

18. Chiyochan

Chiyochan King

what are you kidding? the music here is great, in addition, its all thematic instead of CHRISTIANITY EVERYWHERE.
    Yeah I got a little tired of all the Christian and European choir when i spend most my time in asia.

I'm glad to see civ 5 will take a step closer to Paradox and their superb thematic music and mixture of orchestra and regional music.

19. PlayerOneWLOY

PlayerOneWLOY Chieftain

I just found out from Geoff Knorr that he has posted the interview from last Thursday on his website! It can be found on his "News" page:

http://www.geoffknorr.com/News.html

There's no transcript, currently; if I have time to write one up at some point, I'll let you know.

Sometime soon, Geoff is also hoping to post more in-depth information about his pieces, as well as post photos from the interview! (which were snapped by WLOY's General Manager) I'll let you know once those become available.

Enjoy! :D

20. rastak

rastak Emperor

Awesome!