Tony Blair Announcing His Retirement

@ Davo:
Agreed. Ming needs to do more like this to stop Cameron becoming the Media's Darling as he craves.

@ Davo:
Agreed. Ming needs to do more like this to stop Cameron becoming the Media's Darling as he craves.
Defintely! I'm impressed with this call for an election, it certainally gets attention...plus it's something that resonates with people! (i.e. that we should elect our leader!)

Especially when the one being imposed on us during these devolved times is Scottish

Especially when the one being imposed on us during these devolved times is Scottish
:lol:

I don't actually mind having a Scottish Prime Minister! We are the UK as a whole! It's morethe idea that a if a party in governance changes leader than given the voting system we have it would only be fair to hold an election because the direction of the party has changed.

Sadly he is mostly going to be remembered for Iraq, the war he spun us into with lies, lies and more lies. Our very own Vietnam for which we have to thank Mr Blair very much. He might be washing his hands of Iraq by disappearing into the sunset, but Britain is still bogged down well and truly there.

Britain had nearly twice the fatalities in the Falklands War compared to the number they have currently in Iraq. Vietnam had an exponentially greater amount of casualties than both combined. The two situations do not compare.

And is it lies if Blair honestly believed it himself? Maybe I am nieve but I think he did believe what he said when he said it.

I personally cannot judge anything else of the man though, as I have not been keeping up with British politics...one thing I know though, he could really give a speech.

Goodbye. Gone but not forgotten...

from the bbc news website

The official cost of the controversial ID card scheme has risen to £5.31bn.
The figures were released as Tony Blair announced his departure, leading to claims from the opposition that the government was "burying bad news".

"burying bad news" , blair or the rise?

:lol:

I don't actually mind having a Scottish Prime Minister! We are the UK as a whole! It's morethe idea that a if a party in governance changes leader than given the voting system we have it would only be fair to hold an election because the direction of the party has changed.
I agree, I don't mind having a capable Scottish PM as I'm sure GB will be. But I would like to be asked.

The Scots decided who their PM would be :mischief:

Goodbye. Gone but not forgotten...

from the bbc news website

The official cost of the controversial ID card scheme has risen to £5.31bn.
The figures were released as Tony Blair announced his departure, leading to claims from the opposition that the government was "burying bad news".

"burying bad news" , blair or the rise?
I started a seperate thread for that!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=221314

Britain had nearly twice the fatalities in the Falklands War compared to the number they have currently in Iraq. Vietnam had an exponentially greater amount of casualties than both combined. The two situations do not compare.
Clearly no. In the Falklands there was an honest to goodness conventional army to kick the shayt ort of, and then the war was won. Simple. Iraq is nothing like it.

Heres what some jackass said on ABC News when listing all of the major achievements of Blair:

London became more cool on his watch, even Madonna moved there.

And he was completely serious, it wasnt meant as a joke...

pfft Tis true. Madge wouldn't have moved here with Maggie in charge.

TB is much more hip.

The number of casualties has little to do with it – it is a question of whether the war is right or not. We are bogged down in an unwinnable war, just like America was in Vietnam (hence my comparison).
OTOH One casualty in Iraq would have been too many.

The mere fact that people are already debating the Iraq War demonstrates what Blair's legacy is likely to be.

Meacher/McDonnell are gonna announce soon which one of them is going to stand. I'd prefer McDonnell....but Meacher would still be better than Brown!

A couple of Blairisms:

"Mine is the first generation able to contemplate the possibility that we may live our entire lives without going to war or sending our children to war. That is a prize beyond value" - at a Nato-Russia summit in Paris in 1997.

Five wars from Warmonger Blair later…

"A day like today is not a day for soundbites, really. But I feel the hand of history upon our shoulders" - in April 1998 before peace talks in Northern Ireland.

“Sound bites” would be a good way to sum up Blair

I spoke to soon, Meacher/McDonnell are delaying their descion till after the weekend....get the feeling they both have just as many backers!

one fool down another fool to go.

Okay, we need tot ake a page from the French's book, and march on Downing Street before the inevitable coronation of Gordon Brown as our next Prime Minister. He has just as much blood on his hands as Blair.

Top Bottom