1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Too easy to disrupt an AI science or cultural victory

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by leonvr, Oct 31, 2016.

1. leonvr

leonvr Chieftain

In my last game I sent 1 army of tanks to Saladin who was way ahead in science, and proceeded to destroy all his districts with very little resistance.
    His response was to send a corp of tanks that ran away when low on health and nothing else. He had loads of encampments up but no units in them. No planes no balloons no rocket artillery (he had aluminum) !!! Has anyone seen an AI plane or balloon???
    My tank just pillaged his districts with impunity.
    No way I could have got have got away with this In Civ IV or V.
    The AI spams units early game but seems to lack units during the end game and defends its districts really badly.
    I'm hoping that the AI war mechanics gets patched soon as the game as lots of potential.

Also please patch the AI not building inquisitors I have yet to see a foreign inquisitor, making religious victories too easy. Get the AI to first evangelize beliefs and create inquisitors rather than spamming religious units.

Currently its really hard to be defeated.

2. ddd123

ddd123 Prince

this is deity right?

3. leonvr

leonvr Chieftain

yes That's why I'm behind in science and culture

4. ddd123

ddd123 Prince

well since you are gonna be behind if there was no way to overcome a superior tech civ militarly then the game would be unwinnable.

But yeah we all agree AI need to be improved, but ppl forgot how bad it was in civ4 5 vanilla...
    I see often great maneuver from AI, but also a lot of noob mistakes that makes the good maneuver worthless.
    Once the fix all the bugs and easy mistakes maybe the AI will be on par with civ5 end I hope...

5. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

Why does that even matter?
    The AI should be able to defend itself against a single unit on every difficulty.

6. leonvr

leonvr Chieftain

Yes the game has loads of potential. I would just like the AI to protect their districts better ( Even one of the tank corps he had on the district could have prevented my attempt to destroy his district), and build some range units to take out my pillager. In the game I was hoping to take out the spaceship district before getting destroyed but I never got destroyed, and continued to pillage uninterrupted and hopefully they fix this in a patch not a DLC. Just need to ensure that the AI has some ranged units and balloons so they can take out pillagers. And put some units on their districts they spam so many early game, but Saladin had minimal units in his lands.
    Also the AI really need to build inquisitors, I have yet to see one. The AI gets a 32% faith bonus on deity so it just looks like an over-site that they don't get built.

7. ddd123

ddd123 Prince

No? Lower difficulties are thought for brainless people, it s been always that way and will ever be.

Moderator Action: Please do not troll the forums. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
  8. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Let me just stop you right there.

People learning the game.
    Casual players.
    People working their way up in the difficulty scale.
    People that haven't played previous civs and haven't studied the guides/how-yos/tips/play-like-this-guides

"Brianless." Really? That's what you are going with?

narmox, chazzycat and g0mer like this.
  9. Soryn Arkayn

Soryn Arkayn Prince

The problem with Civ's difficulty levels is that they don't affect how "smart" the AI civs are, only the bonuses the AI receives and/or penalties imposed on the player as a handicap. According to Civ5, Prince difficulty is supposedly a level playing field because the player doesn't receive any buffs to help them. However, I believe the AI is given some buffs to help them even on Prince.

I've watched videos of players playing on Deity and the secret to their success is exploiting the game mechanics and milking the AI for gold so they can't run away with the game. The player can't really do anything about the AI's buffs to production, science, culture, or happiness (Civ5), which is why Deity players always lag behind the AI in the techs, score, wonders, culture, etc. However, Deity players can convince AI civs to give up their gold so they can't buy units, buildings, or upgrades and steamroll the player. Deity players also use gold to bribe the AI civs into fighting each other to distract them so they can't unleash Carpets of Doom on the player. This has the added benefit of sabotaging relations between AI civs and developing positive relations with the player's civ.

If Deity didn't simply grant the AI civs huge buffs that the player could exploit and instead made the AI smarter and more cunning then it would be much more challenging.

Regarding this thread's topic of it be too easy to disrupt the AI's Science or Cultural Victories, I agree, because military units or spies can damage districts and the AI doesn't seem to ever repair them. In my last playthrough as Egypt, Greece and India were ahead of me in techs in the mid-game and were going for Science Vic. They had formidable armies and navies that I wasn't ready to take on yet so I used to spies to sabotage their Spaceports to slow down their Science Vic . It was nearly 100 turns before I was ready to take on Greece and during that time the AI never repaired the Spaceport in Athens. I discovered that Greece had Spaceports in other cities so I assume Greece used them to pursue Science Vic but it's still dumb that the AI never bothered to repair the Spaceport in its capital. I know it can take a long time to repair a city's pillaged district, but it shouldn't take ~100 turns.

I think the AI was too dumb to adapt to its Spaceport being sabotaged so rather than repair it the AI shifted production to its other Spaceports while its capital produced other buildings and units. It appeared that during that ~100 turns Athens had been focused on producing armadas of Nuclear Subs and Missile Cruisers. When the time for me to finally attack Greece came I dropped a thermonuclear device on Athens and sunk its Sub armada in its Harbor and Cruiser armada in an adjacent hex. I was very concerned that Greece would retaliate with nukes, which is why I tried to rush a Greek city on my continent to destroy a single Nuclear Sub inside the city; unfortunately I miscalculated my moves and 3 of 4 Radar Artillery couldn't bombard the city the turn that I attacked, and my Tank armies couldn't capture the city and destroy the sub. Fortunately, Greece didn't have any nukes -- or any aircraft or AA units at all. I used my unrivaled air superiority and nuclear arsenal to wipe out their army and navy and only suffered minor losses in return.

It seems like the AI seeking a Science Victory is "smart" enough to produce conventional military units to defend itself but doesn't bother with "special" units like aircraft or nukes. And it doesn't repair its districts. I'm not even sure if Greece was using its other Spaceports to continue Science Vic, because for a long time it had fulfilled the Moon Mission but never made any progress to Mars. I think the AI was too dumb to recognize the Athens Spaceport was damaged and needed to be repaired, or that it had other Spaceports that could be used instead. So the AI definitely has a lot of deficiencies that are easy for the player to exploit.

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Some people are just horrible elitists aholes. I really can't believe how elitist deity players are. I simply do not want to play the game that way. I want to build lots of things which I cannot do on deity. So I am brainless because I do not play on deity? I got extremely high scores in school, I succeeded in every job I had (which aren't easy jobs), I have large amounts of money, somehow I don't think I am brainless.

Moderator Action: Please report trolls and allow staff to deal with it. Responding to them only starts flame wars and takes the thread off topic. Please get this thread back on topic. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
    Larsenex likes this.